Cody Green

You basically said you'd tolerate a team full of criminals, but anybody with a big ego can hit the road. That's what I was responding to. Either I misinterpreted what you meant, like 4 messages ago, or you are a crazy person.

A) I am crazy. But that's beside the point. :wacko:

3) If what I said made it sound like I wanted criminals, that's not what I meant. I would rather have a bunch of walk-ons who lose than have guys like Junior is hinting (Play me or I'm leaving) on the team and win. That's where this is all coming from. Something probably got lost in translation somewhere along the way, or I wasn't clear what I was saying. I think that's more clear.

That's one approach. I'm not sure it's the apprach I would take. Let's say Green wants to play and thinks he should. Bo says no and never puts him into the game. Green transfers to another team and is vocal about the reason he did. Most 4 and 5 star athletes want to come in a play right away. They shy away from Nebraska because the coach won't let true freshmen play. If this scenario plays out, then I believe we all better be prepared to be happy with a lot of 7-5, 8-4 records.

I think some are way over-reacting to the idea above in bold. What is so wrong about wanting to play early? Think about the following:

• Many top recruits don't have a strong allegiance to a college team
  • Most top recruits want to play early
  • Most top recruits are NOT headcases, as some presume

Imagine - A top notch recruit is choosing between two schools.

Team A historically gives freshmen PT. Doesn't necessarily start them, but they see decent field action. Redshirts happen either if the player needs to add some pounds/strength/speed, or is just way too raw.

Team B historically redshirts freshmen. After the redshirt year, most of that class does not see significant field action until RS Soph year or later.

Which do you think the recruit would choose?

Until some newcomers see some significant PT, I truly do not believe Bo and Co. will be able to land the top-notch recruits that many other schools do. Winning program or not, kids want to play. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I like walk-on players too, but we HAVE to stop acting as if they single-handedly brought NU to 5 National Championships.

A 4/5 star rating behind a recruit's name does not automatically make him a head case.

Blinky, just curious whose points you're refuting, because if it's me, I'm not making any of the points you're alleging.

I don't believe I quoted any points to refute, nor did I call out any poster. I was simply stating an observation from reading different articles and posts from this and other message boards.

If you don't believe it involved you personally, there's no need to ask me if I'm calling you out.

Blinky, just curious whose points you're refuting, because if it's me, I'm not making any of the points you're alleging.

I don't believe I quoted any points to refute, nor did I call out any poster. I was simply stating an observation from reading different articles and posts from this and other message boards.

If you don't believe it involved you personally, there's no need to ask me if I'm calling you out.

Eh. You're speaking directly about parts of a conversation that Junior and I were having, quoting something he said in response to something I said, to which I directly responded. So it's pretty logical to assume that I'm one of those "some" you're speaking about.

And to be clear, I'm asking because you're either misunderstanding what I'm saying or misrepresenting what I'm saying, and the conversation would be better if that was cleared up.

That's one approach. I'm not sure it's the apprach I would take. Let's say Green wants to play and thinks he should. Bo says no and never puts him into the game. Green transfers to another team and is vocal about the reason he did. Most 4 and 5 star athletes want to come in a play right away. They shy away from Nebraska because the coach won't let true freshmen play. If this scenario plays out, then I believe we all better be prepared to be happy with a lot of 7-5, 8-4 records.

I think you're framing this debate wrong.

First of all, you're assuming via blanket statement that Nebraska won't play true freshman and you're using the one specific case of Cody Green.

Second, why would you play a true freshman if there isn't a dire need? Especially if the guys already at the position are just as good, or better, than the true freshman in question. Redshirt the kid, save him a year of eligibility.

Third, even at schools like Texas and USC kids still redshirt and you don't see mass transfers out of those programs.

Fourth, if you were a coach and let your players dictate who saw the field and who did not you'd be an ineffective coach: your players wouldn't listen to you, they wouldn't practice hard, they wouldn't do the little extra things needed to be great, performance on the field would suffer, losses would result and you would be fired.

Edit: You can be a players coach and still not let the inmates run the asylum.

Eh. You're speaking directly about parts of a conversation that Junior and I were having, quoting something he said in response to something I said, to which I directly responded. So it's pretty logical to assume that I'm one of those "some" you're speaking about.

And to be clear, I'm asking because you're either misunderstanding what I'm saying or misrepresenting what I'm saying, and the conversation would be better if that was cleared up.

You are free to assume what you want, but unless you see something I don't, I did not mention you at all in my post. I think you're being a little too defensive about your opinions and are over-analyzing what I wrote.

I'd like to think that Green gets a redshirt if at all possible; and just basing this on interviews I've seen/heard, Green does not strike me as a kid who'll go all prima donna on us by giving transfer ultimatums. He's very mature and team oriented. Not to say it couldn't happen, I just don't see it happening.

I agree with this, but I don't think he'd be too upset if he played, either.

Third, even at schools like Texas and USC kids still redshirt and you don't see mass transfers out of those programs.

Jen, I agree with a lot of what you're saying. However, at USC they will be starting a true freshman at QB for the first time ever, and they do have a long history of playing the majority of their scholarship true freshmen under Carroll. The big difference of course is that they can continue to reload great recruiting talent to avoid number crunches. Furthermore with that influx of continuous talent I believe they are among the nations leaders of transfers. Like I said it must be rough.

Now back to the topic, personally I believe that Cody IS the best option at back-up since Spano went down. If it comes to that point let him start getting that game experience now and if he's as good as everyone hopes he is maybe he can knock off Lee next year. Who knows?

...I think the decision whether to redshirt or not should be up to CG....

After thinking about it, we need to do what Green wants to do...

It's never what the kid wants to do. It's what's best for the team, and that is decided by the coaches, not an individual player.

I think having a player and his family making the ultimate decision on whether to redshirt or not is no-where near the jump to "letting the inmates run the asylum".

Some kids have a plan to get through their education in four years so they can get on with life after Football...Or if they're destined for the NFL, they might bolt early thinking they only have a few years left and one more year in the NFL pays alot better than another year in college.

I'm reminded of something I read in a book recently that quoted Dave Rimmington saying that the maddest he ever saw Tom Osborne was when Dave was thinking of leaving for the NFL after his JR. year because he wasn't sure his knees could take another year of pounding and he just wanted his shot at the big time while he could still walk.

I really don't think Cody is the type that would demand playing time, but I also could see where he might get to thinking about going somewhere else where he felt the coaches had his interests at heart if he were ever forced to redshirt.