Cody Green

I would rather have a team full of LP's and Peter brothers, dominating all the way to the top. Than getting my face beat in every week.

That would be one of the ways you and I are different. :)

But we're not talking about kids with criminal tendencies. We're talking about kids who want to run the program instead of the coaches.

This is where we are different. I don't think a kid not wanting to redshirt is exactly "running" the program. I compare a kid not wanting to redshirt to a kid leaving early for the NFL. Stoops didn't exactly redshirt Adrian Peterson. Coaches don't typically redshirt highly touted recruits where it's likely they'll only play 3 years before bolting to the NFL. While I don't necessarily think Green fits this mold as the NFL is beginning to shy away from dual threat QB's, he may still be inclined to think this way. Spano is out for the season. This leaves us with Lee and a converted LB as the top QB's. What if Lee either gets injured or sucks it up? If Green thinks it bests serves himself and the team by not redshirting, I don't see how we can go against his wishes.

Btw, I don't think we have to have criminals to win. I wouldn't exactly call Tebow and most of the Florida Gator players criminals. While there have been some great college football players in the past that had criminal tendancies, I don't think they're in the majority by any means. If Green is as good as we think/hope he is, I think we have to be prepared to play him if he doesn't want to redshirt in the event Lee gets injured or doesn't play well.

I would rather have a team full of LP's and Peter brothers, dominating all the way to the top. Than getting my face beat in every week.

That would be one of the ways you and I are different. :)

But we're not talking about kids with criminal tendencies. We're talking about kids who want to run the program instead of the coaches.

This is where we are different. I don't think a kid not wanting to redshirt is exactly "running" the program. I compare a kid not wanting to redshirt to a kid leaving early for the NFL. Stoops didn't exactly redshirt Adrian Peterson. Coaches don't typically redshirt highly touted recruits where it's likely they'll only play 3 years before bolting to the NFL. While I don't necessarily think Green fits this mold as the NFL is beginning to shy away from dual threat QB's, he may still be inclined to think this way. Spano is out for the season. This leaves us with Lee and a converted LB as the top QB's. What if Lee either gets injured or sucks it up? If Green thinks it bests serves himself and the team by not redshirting, I don't see how we can go against his wishes.

Btw, I don't think we have to have criminals to win. I wouldn't exactly call Tebow and most of the Florida Gator players criminals. While there have been some great college football players in the past that had criminal tendancies, I don't think they're in the majority by any means. If Green is as good as we think/hope he is, I think we have to be prepared to play him if he doesn't want to redshirt in the event Lee gets injured or doesn't play well.

24 arrests since 2005 doesn't show me a well disciplined team in Florida.

From one to 24: Florida Gators database on legal troubles

24 arrests since 2005 doesn't show me a well disciplined team in Florida.

From one to 24: Florida Gators database on legal troubles

Message boarding is tough. Someone can always find something to counter any point. Any point. It's the jungle, that's what it is. :)

I'm pretty much in agreement with all of this:

I get the analogy of redshirting/leaving for the NFL. But no matter what any kid wants or whatever line they draw in the sand, the coach can always just not play them, so the coach has the final say in that. And then the kid can leave school, or go to the NFL, or whatever, but that's not (to me) an ability to determine if they redshirt or not. That's probably a semantic argument at that point, though.

I don't know much about Green, but I gather he's a pretty good kid. I think if there's a potential for him to redshirt Bo and Green will talk about it before it's done. And it could be a situation where they say, "You're going to redshirt, but be ready. If Lee goes down, your redshirt is pulled, period." But being a good kid, I don't get the impression he's going to bolt for another school if Bo wants him to sit. I figure the same thing will happen with Green that happened with Compton and Cooper last year, with the caveat that QB is our thinnest position, whereas LB and WR were chock full of players we could get by with last year.

And, this whole conversation could be completely academic if Green is so good he HAS to be played. Who knows - he could snatch the starting spot from ZLee before camp is over. Then all the brain waves we've spent talking about this will be for naught... but it's a good conversation to have nonetheless.

Ok, that is where I was going. If he is so good or Lee and Washington are so bad, it would be foolish to redshirt him especially if he didn't want to be redshirted.

As far as Florida and the crimes, it specifically states that it wasn't 24 different players or even 24 different arrests. It was just 24 instances. Heck, how many have we had. I don't keep track. Plus, about a third of these players either transferred or were suspended and never came back to the team. Hasn't Iowa had a large run of "instances"? I wouldn't exactly say their team is performing stellar. Every team out there has instances. It doesn't in anyway show that we need to be recruiting criminals if we want to be competitive.

Ok, that is where I was going. If he is so good or Lee and Washington are so bad, it would be foolish to redshirt him especially if he didn't want to be redshirted.

As far as Florida and the crimes, it specifically states that it wasn't 24 different players or even 24 different arrests. It was just 24 instances. Heck, how many have we had. I don't keep track. Plus, about a third of these players either transferred or were suspended and never came back to the team. Hasn't Iowa had a large run of "instances"? I wouldn't exactly say their team is performing stellar. Every team out there has instances. It doesn't in anyway show that we need to be recruiting criminals if we want to be competitive.

No but I got the implication from your post that Florida was running a very clean, and by clean I simply mean trouble free, program. If you didn't mean to imply that then ok, but I still think that is clearly not the case. Every major program has these issues, it isn't like you go out and try to recruit those types but if they have extraordinary talent I think certain indicators get overlooked. Talent trumps all, heck look at OU the last two years. The young man who held a knife to his GF's neck still enrolled this year.

I need to ask a stupid question, the requirements for RS are only that the player doesn't actually get into a game right? I mean can Cody be the Back Up and listed on teh 2-Deep and still have a RS year if he doesn't actually get into a game? If Cody is the major injury replacement back up, could he be listed #2 on the depth chart yet the #3 guy, LTW, gets all of the mop up duty to save Lee as needed?

I need to ask a stupid question, the requirements for RS are only that the player doesn't actually get into a game right? I mean can Cody be the Back Up and listed on teh 2-Deep and still have a RS year if he doesn't actually get into a game? If Cody is the major injury replacement back up, could he be listed #2 on the depth chart yet the #3 guy, LTW, gets all of the mop up duty to save Lee as needed?

This is correct. My understanding is that Compton suited up at least a couple of times last year but didn't get in the game, preserving his redshirt.

This is correct. My understanding is that Compton suited up at least a couple of times last year but didn't get in the game, preserving his redshirt.

So maybe Green wins the back up job, but the coaches go to him and tell him that in the best interest of his career, i.e. get a shot to start 3 years, and for the program he won't go in unless something serious happens to Lee, knock on wood that won't happen. LTW is the #3 and takes care of all of the garbage time and also runs some special packages to limit the chances Lee gets hurt. Cody seems very mature, think he would go for this?

So maybe Green wins the back up job, but the coaches go to him and tell him that in the best interest of his career, i.e. get a shot to start 3 years, and for the program he won't go in unless something serious happens to Lee, knock on wood that won't happen. LTW is the #3 and takes care of all of the garbage time and also runs some special packages to limit the chances Lee gets hurt. Cody seems very mature, think he would go for this?

I don't know. I would have to say that if Green is the legit #2 then he's not redshirting. I can't imagine the coaches keeping him out if he can contribute. Then again, they barely played Witt last year and he should have gotten some reps as the #2, so who knows.

I don't know. I would have to say that if Green is the legit #2 then he's not red shirting. I can't imagine the coaches keeping him out if he can contribute. Then again, they barely played Witt last year and he should have gotten some reps as the #2, so who knows.

sorry, i disagree with that observation, Ganz was the leader of the offense and he deserved to start every game, including some when Clownahan was here. Witt just got impatient, something (patience) Ganz learned early in his career. i will always respect Ganz for "hanging in".............

I don't know. I would have to say that if Green is the legit #2 then he's not red shirting. I can't imagine the coaches keeping him out if he can contribute. Then again, they barely played Witt last year and he should have gotten some reps as the #2, so who knows.

sorry, i disagree with that observation, Ganz was the leader of the offense and he deserved to start every game, including some when Clownahan was here. Witt just got impatient, something (patience) Ganz learned early in his career. i will always respect Ganz for "hanging in".............

Not only that, how many games down the stretch were such blow outs in our favor that playing Witt would have been even remotely sane?

Come on guys, this argument is ridiculous. If Green was really THIS good, do you think Shawn Watson would have made the comment that "It's going to be awful hard to unseat Zac right now" 2 practices into fall camp? I agree with the above scenario, and Bo and Shawn will explain to him that is in the best interest of the program and himself.

Sorry guys, but nobody is bigger than the program. Nobody.

Also, the best QB in the conference have this little thing after their name that says (RS). McCoy, Bradford.....

I'm not really sure what you're disagreeing with. I'm talking about getting the second-stringers some reps in-game, not whether Green should start over Zac. To make that point, I'm saying Witt (last year's #2) should have gotten some PT last year. I'm not saying anything about Witt's departure, or that Witt should have started. The #1's start, not the #2's.