Greg Paulus

What earlier statement? Your only post in this thread is your crack about "such an advanced opponent in Zac Lee with all his starts and career touchdowns," which doesn't sound like you're giving both equal due. The fact is Lee's resume is far superior to Paulus' and even comparing the two at this point is pretty silly. Paulus is a basketball player trying to play football. Lee is a football player getting on track with his grades. Of the two, there's no doubt who you would want at this point, and it's not even close.

That's the magic of pre-season message boarding, everyone's right until the season starts. We shall see where both players are in due time.

Wish him all the luck at Syracuse, he is going to need it :) Glad NU didn't burn up a roster spot for him though...

I think Paulus picked a good school to go to. Let's face it. The Big East isn't exactly a conference with alot of great teams. So, he may be able to sink into the QB position a little easier after being four years removed from playing any kind of football.

I expect him to be decent, but nothing to get too excited about.

This was a good choice for Paulus (he wouldn't start here), but it stings for us.

Can anyone dispute that we're shorthanded at QB right now? We're one injury away from a very scary situation.

LTW and CG should both be redshirting in ideal circumstances. One's an unpolished true freshman, the other was buried on the LB chart last year. Don't even mention Taylor.

Can anyone dispute that we're shorthanded at QB right now?

I don't think that's up for debate, either. We have to hope that Lee is competent and stays healthy all year. If we're forced to put in Washington or Green, it's going to be a pretty tough year. Who knows? Maybe the defense will rise up and shut everyone down, and we can get by running Helu and Q in non-stop Wildcat formation?

This was a good choice for Paulus (he wouldn't start here), but it stings for us.

Can anyone dispute that we're shorthanded at QB right now? We're one injury away from a very scary situation.

LTW and CG should both be redshirting in ideal circumstances. One's an unpolished true freshman, the other was buried on the LB chart last year. Don't even mention Taylor.

How is Paulus - a guy who hasn't played football for four years and probably has never seen an offensive playbook like what Nebraska runs - going to step in and do any better than Washington or Green?

Yeah, we are short-handed at QB, but Lee is not injured yet. Ganz made it through the whole year without serious injury. Let's just hope Lee can do the same.

Absolutely not! Paulus will be nothing but a one year wonder, IF he even makes it through a whole year playing behind that awful O line.

Can anyone tell me that you truly believe Paulus would have even come close to winning the starting job from Zac Lee? Or could have been anything more than a mop up scrub and insurance policy at NU?

If so, then you either have no idea just how talented Lee really is. Or are a pathologically "grass is always greener" person. Which unfortunately more and more Husker fans seem to be lately.

Ganz made it through the whole year without serious injury. Let's just hope Lee can do the same.

I don't think that'll be a problem. Keller got hurt two years ago, but I can't remember when a Husker QB got knocked out of the season in-game before that. Someone help me remember the last time this happened...?

Frazier and Berringer both had injury issues in 1994. Maybe that's the last time this happened?

Ganz made it through the whole year without serious injury. Let's just hope Lee can do the same.

I don't think that'll be a problem. Keller got hurt two years ago, but I can't remember when a Husker QB got knocked out of the season in-game before that. Someone help me remember the last time this happened...?

Frazier and Berringer both had injury issues in 1994. Maybe that's the last time this happened?

Don't jinx it man......holds hands over ears and yells, "LA LA LA LA LA LA, I can't hear you!"

Greg Paulus being named starter shocks me nearly as much as Sam Keller being named starter. With one year of eligibility to work with, neither Paulus now nor Keller back in the day were going to go to a school where they wouldn't start.

Very true. I just looked at it from an 'insurance' standpoint if Lee goes down (knock on wood). I'm personally not a big fan of a QB with only year to play at a school. Keller just seemed like a hired gun.

Keller seemed like a favor. Nothing more other than a promise to an old friend. No advantage, more cons than could be counted, but we welcomed him with open arms just the way Paulus would have been.

They always look better in our red to some.

The difference is Paulus was a winner, a finisher, a team player. Keller was a mal content, problem child, partier.

Paulus would do every bit as well as Keller and my guess is as well as Zac other than knowledge of the system.

He played at en elite basketball program. He knows the effort required, the dedication and loyalty to make it.

He has the talent and would have had the summer to learn and improve. Ability wise most likely better than Zac, but time in the system would be the thing that gave Zac the advantage. But my guess is he would have been pushed before the season was over.

But I would never have wanted him to show up and play here. We need to establish loyalty to the program and to the players that are paying the price from the beginning. BC destroyed team chemistry with Keller, I am glad Coach Pelini did not pursue Paulus. It shows faith in his players and gives them confidence down the road.

Good luck to him though.

With Greg Paulus being named starter at Syracuse, does anyone kinda wish that he would have chose to come here, now that Spano has gone down with another ACL tear? I'm not saying that I wish he would have came here, but it is a bit ironic considering the circumstances.

If he is your QB you won't be winning many games.

Keller seemed like a favor. Nothing more other than a promise to an old friend. No advantage, more cons than could be counted, but we welcomed him with open arms just the way Paulus would have been.

They always look better in our red to some.

The difference is Paulus was a winner, a finisher, a team player. Keller was a mal content, problem child, partier.

Paulus would do every bit as well as Keller and my guess is as well as Zac other than knowledge of the system.

He played at en elite basketball program. He knows the effort required, the dedication and loyalty to make it.

He has the talent and would have had the summer to learn and improve. Ability wise most likely better than Zac, but time in the system would be the thing that gave Zac the advantage. But my guess is he would have been pushed before the season was over.

But I would never have wanted him to show up and play here. We need to establish loyalty to the program and to the players that are paying the price from the beginning. BC destroyed team chemistry with Keller, I am glad Coach Pelini did not pursue Paulus. It shows faith in his players and gives them confidence down the road.

Good luck to him though.

If playing at an elite level and having will and dedication and loyalty and boatloads of talent is all it takes to make a star in most any sport, then Michael Jordan should have done very well in his baseball career. But that's not all it takes, because not all sports are the same. Being a gifted athlete at one sport doesn't mean you're gifted at all of them (ask Michael about his golf game, too), and the four years of rust Paulus has to knock off are going to be a problem. Imagine going into Blacksburg with a QB whose only significant playing time since High School, four years ago, was against FAU and Arkansas State. We'd get destroyed.

I wish Paulus well at Syracuse, too. But I don't want him within a mile of our starting QB spot.

With Greg Paulus being named starter at Syracuse, does anyone kinda wish that he would have chose to come here, now that Spano has gone down with another ACL tear? I'm not saying that I wish he would have came here, but it is a bit ironic considering the circumstances.

I'm glad Greg Paulus didn't come here. And, he went to one of the worst teams in the country... :laughpound

I'm glad Greg Paulus didn't come here. And, he went to one of the worst teams in the country... :laughpound

I agree. Paulus is the poster child for the pasty, sullen Duke basketball player with an equal part of upstate New York guido.