Cody Green the Man

knapplc

Brian Christopherson has a good personality piece about Cody Green today. Sounds like he’s not your typical freshman, not wide-eyed and cowed by campus life. Sounds like they’re bringing him along and he’s handling it well, and it sounds like he’s taking it all in stride.

The voice. That is the first thing Husker veterans bring up when asked about Cody Green.

“We said he sounds like the Allstate guy on the commercials,” said center Jacob Hickman. “He already sounds like a grown-up.”

“He comes up there with that big, deep voice,” said quarterback Zac Lee. “You’re like, ‘This kid’s 18? What’s up with that?’”

He sounds older than 18 and is said to act it, too. Maturity missed some of us at that age, but Green apparently stepped in its way. It is a handy trait to accompany a young man entering his first football season in the Husker fish bowl.

“He accepts responsibility. That’s what I love about him,” Husker offensive coordinator Shawn Watson said. “If he’s done something wrong, he knows it. He can fix it himself. As soon as it happens, he knows.”

I thought this was really interesting, especially considering the wholesale redshirting of the last class:

And while some fans and media may get mileage discussing the possibility of Green redshirting, that is not something coaches are conversing about at all as they evaluate their quarterback situation.

“The media’s got to get off this redshirt kick. You do what you got to do to win,” Watson said. “We don’t do that here. That’s not our culture. … We don’t talk about redshirting guys. We don’t. … I’ve been through years where you use three quarterbacks. You better get them all ready.”

Full article with more quotes about Green here

Green is a physical freak... when you see him he isn't a Freshmen. However I think you need to slow down before you crown him starter any time this year.

Although I think Green has a tremendous upside and MAYBE more talent than any other QB, remember that Zac Lee isn't some slouch. Pre-Injury Zac Lee came in as the Top JUCO QB and one of the hottest QBs overall in the nation.

When people talk about Green they are mostly just talking about how physically impressive he is, how he picks things up nicely, great presence, etc... but from the sounds of it he is gonna have to fight his ass off for the #2 spot.

Green is a physical freak... when you see him he isn't a Freshmen. However I think you need to slow down before you crown him starter any time this year.

Although I think Green has a tremendous upside and MAYBE more talent than any other QB, remember that Zac Lee isn't some slouch. Pre-Injury Zac Lee came in as the Top JUCO QB and one of the hottest QBs overall in the nation.

When people talk about Green they are mostly just talking about how physically impressive he is, how he picks things up nicely, great presence, etc... but from the sounds of it he is gonna have to fight his ass off for the #2 spot.

This is exactly how I feel about the situation. I love the potential Green has, but I think he's getting a little "flavor-of-the-month" bump here, while Zac Lee's potential is being overlooked. Lee came to Nebraska with no small amount of fanfare, but that has since died away and Green was a pretty big deal when he signed.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Green seriously challenge Lee for the #1 spot next year, but this year is pushing it a bit.

I hope Green is all that people think he is, for if nothing else, that'll push Lee to perform at his highest. With nobody looking over a player's shoulder, there's always the potential for slacking. A strong challenger will help with that.

I think Green will be our starter before the halfway point of the season.

Yes, redshirting would be nice, but I don't think it will happen.

You think Green is going to dethrone Lee?

As much as i want Green to be the second coming of Tommie Frazier, i just dont forsee a true freshman taking over a veteran in the system. Green has alot to learn, he may have better physical tools than all of our QB's combined but he still needs to learn to read defenses and the be able to run all the plays Lee can before he is starter. It takes a good year in a system to learn the in's and out's. If Green advances that fast so be it, but i dont forsee it.

If you think the Green will take the starting job from Lee or Washington this year, you must've been smoking some bad granola. We havent seen Lee or Washington perform yet, so to say that Green will start halfway through the season (personally the toughest part of our season) your thinking a little too highly of him.

I think that Green is a diamond hiding in a piece of coal, but you cant just put the coal out there and expect a diamond to emerge, you gotta chisel the outside and polish it before you can market it. The same thought goes out for Green, if he is as smart as they say, im sure Green knows he isnt ready to start yet. One thing that i havent seen happen, is that Green has yet to be red-shirted, this could mean that he isnt going to be red-shirting this year, maybe he will be #3 while Spano is out. If that is true all it does is increase his chances to play more next season (This does not mean he will be starting).

Depending on the way Lee or Washington handle this season and continue to develop over this season, spring camp, and fall camp of next year along with Green's development and Spano's injury update...touting that Green will be starting next year or have a #2 spot seems a bit far fetched only because there is so much time in between that and we dont know what surprises lay down that road.

I just have the patience and faith that when Cody Green is ready to play, i expect many great things from him.

One thing that i havent seen happen, is that Green has yet to be red-shirted, this could mean that he isnt going to be red-shirting this year, maybe he will be #3 while Spano is out. If that is true all it does is increase his chances to play more next season (This does not mean he will be starting).

Redshirts happen after your season not before. If you go your entire first season without seeing the field you are a redshirt, if you play a snap you are not. The decision isnt made prior to your season.

I think Green will be our starter before the halfway point of the season.

Yes, redshirting would be nice, but I don't think it will happen.

You think Green is going to dethrone Lee?

As much as i want Green to be the second coming of Tommie Frazier, i just dont forsee a true freshman taking over a veteran in the system. Green has alot to learn, he may have better physical tools than all of our QB's combined but he still needs to learn to read defenses and the be able to run all the plays Lee can before he is starter. It takes a good year in a system to learn the in's and out's. If Green advances that fast so be it, but i dont forsee it.

Yeah I don't get all of this "Green will start" hype. I remember last season when everyone was saying similar things about Lee and how he would overtake Ganz by mid year. Funny how the soup de jour changes. Anyway, I think it is clear no one is overtaking Lee when you hear Watson, Bo, and anyone else on the coaching staff talk about how Lee has clearly elevated himself above the pack and how he can be special.

A lot happens during a season, and I think you have to win now and worry about the future later, but you can't tell me the coaches don't like how the QB situation should shake out...

2009- Lee starting, and Washington in clean up duty if needed.

2010- Lee starting, and Green in clean up duty and maybe various situations.

Then Green can start 3 years after that. Of course this all depends on if Lee can get it done, and Green for that matter to.

Lee will be a very good QB this year for Nebraska. I have gone on the record as saying this time and time again. I don't usually like to do this for any player, but I have seen him in action and I know what he is capable of.

He has a great arm, ability to scramble and extend plays, knows the playbook, and can run (he's pretty damn fast). My only concern is that it is in his nature to gamble and try to fit the ball into very tight quarters. This sometimes pays off, but it also hurts sometime too. I am hoping he just tries to manage the game and don't try to force anything.

I hope all the teams we are against are taking Lee with a grain of salt - like many on this board are doing.

One thing that i havent seen happen, is that Green has yet to be red-shirted, this could mean that he isnt going to be red-shirting this year, maybe he will be #3 while Spano is out. If that is true all it does is increase his chances to play more next season (This does not mean he will be starting).

Redshirts happen after your season not before. If you go your entire first season without seeing the field you are a redshirt, if you play a snap you are not. The decision isnt made prior to your season.

Very good point.. that is how the college redshirting system works and I believe Bo would love nothing more then to not have to use him.. even though both him and Watson will say they are not thinking about it.. however that decision (redshirting) will not be made until after the season