Rex Burkhead Hype...

Granted all of the following should be taken with a grain of salt because he hasn't played a down of college football...

but...

Is Rex Burkhead the real deal? I remember people saying this guy was a top player in the nation talent, but quite frankly being a white RB hurt him and feeling he couldn't be a RB labeled him a "Guy with no position"

I just can't believe how much people are talking about him. Not only the media, who pretty much immediately labeled him as a Freshmen who will play in 09 but also Watson assuring people that Burkhead WILL play in 09 in some capacity.

Even tonight Lane Grindle, who I think is great but can get carried away with seeing Red sometimes, but he was saying how he thinks he would take a guy like Burkhead who will work his ass off and play hard for 4 years over Bryce Brown who was the nations top player.

I guess I just over looked Rex, what do you guys think? Are you buying the hype do you think Rex is as good as advertised?

Granted all of the following should be taken with a grain of salt because he hasn't played a down of college football...

but...

Is Rex Burkhead the real deal? I remember people saying this guy was a top player in the nation talent, but quite frankly being a white RB hurt him and feeling he couldn't be a RB labeled him a "Guy with no position"

I just can't believe how much people are talking about him. Not only the media, who pretty much immediately labeled him as a Freshmen who will play in 09 but also Watson assuring people that Burkhead WILL play in 09 in some capacity.

Even tonight Lane Grindle, who I think is great but can get carried away with seeing Red sometimes, but he was saying how he thinks he would take a guy like Burkhead who will work his ass off and play hard for 4 years over Bryce Brown who was the nations top player.

I guess I just over looked Rex, what do you guys think? Are you buying the hype do you think Rex is as good as advertised?

really? white guys cant play running back?

really? white guys cant play running back?

I was told that by my Brother's wife ~4 years ago when they weren't getting much interest in my Nephew other than from a handful of Ivy League schools..(900 yd. rusher with a sub 4.4/40..one fumble in two years as a starter ..3.9GPA).

She's quick to believe conspiracy theories, so I took it with a grain of salt, but my Brother was starting to agree with her.

Edit:

Before we get into the same debate as before...Yes...It was handheld.

I'm not saying that, but I know the guys from HI and BRR said on the radio that when they were evaluating him in meetings for overall national rankings that they would push for Burkhead to be bumped up and it was always quickly dismissed. They said the only reason they could figure out was him being white and the perception of a white RB (slower, power guys).

Obviously white guys can play RB... and there have been plenty to do it successfully, but don't kid yourself a majority of RB's aren't white so I think it gives the ones who are a bad perception.

Same thing as when people see a black QB, most of them quickly jump to the perception they are scrambling QB's and not pocket passers.

Whether its right or wrong its obvious that at some positions there are certain perceptions that I guess some people aren't able to shake when evaluating a guy.

But I wanna make clear this thread has nothing to do with race so don't let it become that... I was just stating something I remember they talked about during his recruitment and when they determined his rating (4 star).

This thread is about Rex and what you think he will be as a player, if it becomes anything else I will lock it immediately.

So back on track

But I wanna make clear this thread has nothing to do with race so don't let it become that... I was just stating something I remember they talked about during his recruitment and when they determined his rating (4 star).

This thread is about Rex and what you think he will be as a player, if it becomes anything else I will lock it immediately.

So back on track

obviously they never watched any of his footage(the national guys) because...umm well...he was very very elusive.

but...

well Watson's sound byte for yesterday made it sound like he was gonna see the field this year.

Mr. Burkhead does seem to have the attention of the coaches, and I doubt they're saying these things about him for no reason. His tapes are fun to watch, and if he can translate his game to this level, we'll be fine at RB for a while to come.

The guy had great HS career and was a gamer plain and simple.

I can not wait to see him racking up the yards for us.