Chances of winning the Big XII North

bhunt7

The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

Oh for God's sakes it is one player. That only rushed for 505 yards.

WE have the same chance as we had this morning.

One second string back does not make or break the season.

It means we will lose to Texas Tech this season.

Don't ask for my source..I'm sworn to secrecy!

But...Really..Is the B-12N our only goal?

We might still be a Favourite to some, but I was really looking forward to the bigger/faster baller Q was reported to have become over the Summer...Maybe speed up our return to a more smashmouth brand of Offense and help keep Helu healthy for a full season.

Would we have still beaten Miami in that one '94? Orange Bowl without Cory Schlesinger scoring late on the two Fullback traps?

We have quite a few nifty RBs chomping at the bit..but I doubt any near the bruiser Q was..and maybe one less thing the other Defensive Coordinators will have to plan for.

We probably punt more on fourth and 2...or should.

No worries here I can't imagine we're going to find ourselves in many fourth downs ;) GBR!!

Agree with those who stressed defense. We're going to stay in more games with a strong defense than a strong running game.

We just have to hope Helu stays healthy. No matter how talented our baby backs are, they're still babies.

I respect what you guys are saying, but we just went from expectation to hope. See my point? Having someone like Q in the backfield does make a difference. It makes a HUGE difference. To say his absence will be as if nothing happened is BS posturing... I want to believe the team will be okay without Q, but in reality I know it wont be the same.

Bo is acting a bit Callahanish in my opinion... Unity Council should count for something, otherwise whats the point of having it around? At least Callahan had the ballz to disolve the unit instead of giving it some pretentious meaning that it really doesnt have.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

Oh for God's sakes it is one player. That only rushed for 505 yards.

WE have the same chance as we had this morning.

One second string back does not make or break the season.

It means we will lose to Texas Tech this season.

Don't ask for my source..I'm sworn to secrecy!

But...Really..Is the B-12N our only goal?

We might still be a Favourite to some, but I was really looking forward to the bigger/faster baller Q was reported to have become over the Summer...Maybe speed up our return to a more smashmouth brand of Offense and help keep Helu healthy for a full season.

Would we have still beaten Miami in that one '94? Orange Bowl without Cory Schlesinger scoring late on the two Fullback traps?

We have quite a few nifty RBs chomping at the bit..but I doubt any near the bruiser Q was..and maybe one less thing the other Defensive Coordinators will have to plan for.

We probably punt more on fourth and 2...or should.

We will be just fine on offense, as long as Lee preforms.

Defense will be the key to getting back to the Big 12 Championship Game

I look for big things out of the blackshirts this year.

Even Cy gets it, and he is ISU all the way... Q did make a difference. He did what the teams in the 90s were doing, he intimidated people and made them regret ever taking the field against him.

Bo, you need to give some reasoning behind your decision... I dont care if you are the coach and all decisions rest with you.... ITS A TEAM, and the Unity Council should have been consulted.

I think this is Bo's first big blunder... he is letting his defensive demeanor get in the way of making HEAD COACH decisions.

The Huskers were never going to win the Big 12 North this year...Iowa State has that wrapped up. You all were playing for 2nd... <_<

Here's what I've been hearing over in Ames the last couple of days:

First...QC should immediately contact Kirk Ferentz at Iowa about joining the Hawkeyes. They need another Shonn Green and are a lot more lenient about what constitutes an offense that could get you kicked off the team. Short of that...QC should immediately transfer to UNI as Farley has a pretty good record of taking former Nebraska players and turning them into productive football players on the DII level.

Listening to some conversation from the D-Line for ISU, they are glad Castille is gone because, regardless of his ability to hang onto the ball, apparently he hit you like a brick while lead blocking. The talk of the LB's and DL is that Nebraska isn't going to miss Q nearly so much for his running as they are his protection for a new QB. I'm hoping someone steps up...THOSE guys are hoping no one does. But, I guess when it comes time to decide between getting your butt wiped out on a trap or stomping some inexperienced back, I can see their point.

Can't minimize the guy's loss. You don't just lose 500+ yards but you lose everything else the guy had to offer...including experience and the fact that opposing players just didn't like getting hit by him. It'll hurt and really might effect the outcome of a season where one win or loss could make the difference.

Sounds like you believe in the theory that one player ultimately makes the difference in a teams season, and not the team.

Im sorry, but a teams record is decided by how well a TEAM plays, not by how a certain person plays. I look at it like this, every player is a light bulb on a team, some shine brighter than others, losing Castille has made out brightness a little dimmer. But it gives the oppurtunity for other players to step up and shine.

Losing Castille hurts out chances at the Big North spot, but it doesnt mean we are out. This is moment that people need to step up and seize the moment to earn them a spot in roster. Like i just said, the Huskers as a team will be the ones who fight for a Big 12 North title, not Castille.

Sounds like you believe in the theory that one player ultimately makes the difference in a teams season, and not the team.

Im sorry, but a teams record is decided by how well a TEAM plays, not by how a certain person plays. I look at it like this, every player is a light bulb on a team, some shine brighter than others, losing Castille has made out brightness a little dimmer. But it gives the oppurtunity for other players to step up and shine.

Losing Castille hurts out chances at the Big North spot, but it doesnt mean we are out. This is moment that people need to step up and seize the moment to earn them a spot in roster. Like i just said, the Huskers as a team will be the ones who fight for a Big 12 North title, not Castille.

Not saying that at all...what I'm saying is that the 2009 Huskers had three proven playmakers...Helu, Castille and...that tight end guy whose name always escapes me (as a former tight end, I find even my name sometimes escapes me)...then you had three skill spots to fill in with unknowns... So, let's say the Huskers are a Colt .45 revolver. You had three bullets that you KNEW were real bullets, ready to fire along with three that you THINK were real bullets but wouldn't know for sure until you actually had to fire them...could be real, could be blanks. Then some dirty outlaw comes along in the middle of the night and steals one of your real bullets and leaving you with two real bullets. So, you grab another unproven bullet out of your gun belt and put that one in...now you have a fully loaded gun but you won't know until you actually fire the thing whether or not the four unknown bullets will work, fail or misfire. Could be fine...could blow up in the chamber and wreck the whole gun. Odds were 50/50 things would work out fine before...now they're down to 40/60. The only way you'll know for sure is when you pull the trigger....

Not saying that at all...what I'm saying is that the 2009 Huskers had three proven playmakers...Helu, Castille and...that tight end guy whose name always escapes me (as a former tight end, I find even my name sometimes escapes me)...then you had three skill spots to fill in with unknowns... So, let's say the Huskers are a Colt .45 revolver. You had three bullets that you KNEW were real bullets, ready to fire along with three that you THINK were real bullets but wouldn't know for sure until you actually had to fire them...could be real, could be blanks. Then some dirty outlaw comes along in the middle of the night and steals one of your real bullets and leaving you with two real bullets. So, you grab another unproven bullet out of your gun belt and put that one in...now you have a fully loaded gun but you won't know until you actually fire the thing whether or not the four unknown bullets will work, fail or misfire. Could be fine...could blow up in the chamber and wreck the whole gun. Odds were 50/50 things would work out fine before...now they're down to 40/60. The only way you'll know for sure is when you pull the trigger....

Cy gets it right 99% of the time. and his name is McNeill.

Does the loss of Quentin Castille make the Jayhawks the favorite for the division? Where do you all see the team finishing this year???

The loss hurts as Castille would have played a big part in the running back rotation, but we basically lost experience and not a lot of yards or TDs (467 rushing yds, 109 receiving with 6 TDs). The Huskers go 10-2 (losses to VA tech and OU) in the regular season, lose the Big 12 to TX, and then win their bowl game.

James,

The loss of Castille does hurt but it's not catastrophic, it's not the end of the world and even though QC was kicked off the team yesterday the sun still rose today.

And while I certainly wish QC all the best in the future Bo made the right decision. You break the rules-you suffer the consequences, cut and dried-end of story.

Agree with those who stressed defense. We're going to stay in more games with a strong defense than a strong running game.

We just have to hope Helu stays healthy. No matter how talented our baby backs are, they're still babies.

I respect what you guys are saying, but we just went from expectation to hope. See my point? Having someone like Q in the backfield does make a difference. It makes a HUGE difference. To say his absence will be as if nothing happened is BS posturing... I want to believe the team will be okay without Q, but in reality I know it wont be the same.

Bo is acting a bit Callahanish in my opinion... Unity Council should count for something, otherwise whats the point of having it around? At least Callahan had the ballz to disolve the unit instead of giving it some pretentious meaning that it really doesnt have.

:laughpound

Sorry, if I start typing my warning level will go up.

It hurts. Whether it hurts us enough to cost us a game, I don't know. But I'd rather see this happen now then, say, the night before the VT game.

We can change whatever it is that Castille did. Keeping him around may be worse for the team than letting him go. I don't get the sense that Bo is on a power trip to sabotage the team. I'm not going to second guess the decision.

Time to move forward with the players we've got.

i think losing q hurts, but not as bad as some are making it. imo If its 3rd and short I want helu getting the hand off anyway. I know they said Q wasnt fumbling as much, but I dont think that is just something you can make go away that easily. plus I think helu is just as much of a load even though he is smaller.

as for the point that we are in trouble if roy gets hurt...... I think that was the case before Q was dismissed. IMO he was head and shoulders above the rest of the backs