Thunder Collins -- More bad news headlined on ESPN

LP has been gone for 13 years.

TC has been gone for 7 years.

Why is it that news about these guys ends up being reported on a sports site? Makes me think that the next thing that's going happen is that I'll see a story on ESPN.com that starts like this...

Former Central High and BCU tennis player, T_O_Bull, has pled no contest to over time parking and paid the fine. He acted as his own council due to the fact that his lawyer, AR, could not be reached as he was attending a Nebraska Football game in Lincoln, NE. As he left the court room Bull was heard to comment, "This is all a lot of crap. That damn meter had a fast clock."

T_O_B

:nanalama:nanalama:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:nanalama:nanalama

You know, in general I wish they would stop linking former players with the schools they played for, especially if they were kicked out of school without graduating. Every time Maurice Clarett farts, I don’t need to be reminded he played for Ohio State. With every developing issue with Rae Carruth, I don’t need to know he played for Colorado. With every single instance of Lawrence Phillips running afoul with the law, I don’t need to be reminded he played at Nebraska. Same goes for any other kid who played for any other school, including Thunder Collins.

I know that’s never going to happen because the only reason it’s news is their association with whatever school they played for. But it gets tiresome seeing these schools, whose ideals and principles are polar opposites from what these guys have done, raked through the muck over and over.

I said this in another thread once before, we cannot control the behavior of other or control the destinies of our teams. I cannot control Rae Carruth anymore then you could control Thunder, it may embarrass us, but what can we really do? Same on the field, I cannot control who Cody throws a pass to any more then you can control a linebacker making a tackle. I think sometimes we envelop ourselves into our team loyalty so much that we actually believe that Madden or NCAA 9 are for real and we control everything. All I can control are my own actions.

You know, in general I wish they would stop linking former players with the schools they played for, especially if they were kicked out of school without graduating. Every time Maurice Clarett farts, I don’t need to be reminded he played for Ohio State. With every developing issue with Rae Carruth, I don’t need to know he played for Colorado. With every single instance of Lawrence Phillips running afoul with the law, I don’t need to be reminded he played at Nebraska. Same goes for any other kid who played for any other school, including Thunder Collins.

I know that’s never going to happen because the only reason it’s news is their association with whatever school they played for. But it gets tiresome seeing these schools, whose ideals and principles are polar opposites from what these guys have done, raked through the muck over and over.

I said this in another thread once before, we cannot control the behavior of other or control the destinies of our teams. I cannot control Rae Carruth anymore then you could control Thunder, it may embarrass us, but what can we really do? Same on the field, I cannot control who Cody throws a pass to any more then you can control a linebacker making a tackle. I think sometimes we envelop ourselves into our team loyalty so much that we actually believe that Madden or NCAA 9 are for real and we control everything. All I can control are my own actions.

You are my favorite Colorado fan. Have I ever told you that?

:cheers

I don't know what to think about this guy and what he had to say during the two videos on KETV. It just makes me sick to see a former player in a situation like this and to have other fans from different schools down grade Nebraska because of atheletes like Thunder Collins and Lawrence Phillips.

Honestly I don't know if he's guilty or not.

You are my favorite Colorado fan. Have I ever told you that?

:cheers

:yeah

Beach Buffs has always been part of our club, "College Football Fans," he is always welcome at my tailgate and I will stand shoulder to shoulder with him in any situation.

T_O_B

:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez

:yeah

I think you guys are being a tad oversensitive.

Before reading this thread I'd even forgotten Rae Carruth played for CU.

ESPN.... All news sources use identifyers to help tell a story.

Even when WE tell a story to a friend about someone..we try to identify to them who we are talking about before we procede with the rest of the story.

I may be different than most, but just because I hear LP or Thunder went to UNL, I don't associate them with the "program"...They still mainly just represent themselves.

Controversial subjects get more "hits"

The "Best" story I read today was about the 6 walk-ons getting scholarships...But I have nothing to add to the thread about them..Just, "Congratulations"

Geez, this is gettin ridiculous...

But think about this, if these guys weren't so good, or so hyped, would this even matter half as much to ESPN, or any media outlet for that matter.

If Joe Sixpack, an average O lineman or back up TE had this happen, we might be the only people in the world that would care.

:sarcasm:sarcasm :sarcasm :sarcasm

Why is it that news about these guys ends up being reported on a sports site? Makes me think that the next thing that's going happen is that I'll see a story on ESPN.com that starts like this...

Former Central High and BCU tennis player, T_O_Bull, has pled no contest to over time parking and paid the fine. He acted as his own council due to the fact that his lawyer, AR, could not be reached as he was attending a Nebraska Football game in Lincoln, NE. As he left the court room Bull was heard to comment, "This is all a lot of crap. That damn meter had a fast clock."

T_O_B

:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm

Just give me a break!

T_O_B

T_O_B

:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm

Just give me a break!

T_O_B

?????

Fancy way to "BUMP" the thread or what?

Here's yo (spring) Break.

spring_break_cabo.jpg

T_O_B

Just give me a break!

T_O_B

you hate to see a nebraska player in trouble...does hurt school image..but it happens all over the place.. probably all large schools have had their black eyes due to folks like collins.....the thing to remember about drugs....is that you decision making goes haywire...and thunder had 3 types of drugs in him when the incident happen... i have no sympathy for thunder,,,all drug dealers should be locked up and have key thrown away for a long time.

This whole ESPN hates Nebraska thing has gotten so out of hand. ESPN doesn't hate Nebraska. In reality, they don't really care about Nebraska. And who can blame them? We haven't been in the national spotlight since 2001. The Big 12 North has not been significant on a national level for the better part of the last several years.

First-degree murder is newsworthy, like it or not. And when a former DI player (especially from a major FBS program) is found guilty of the most serious crime there is, it's going to be in the news. Sorry, but it would be that way for any other major program. And it's not like it's a big headline article. It's a little text blurb on the sidebar (also included are headlines like "Tulane players back on field after flu quarantine".)

To some degree I agree with you on this, BUT, when they recruit a player they should do like MLB and the NFL USED TO DO, which is check out their character BEFORE you offer them a scholarship.

I think schools in the NCAA have gotten very lax in doing so, they go in and just look for the best athlete , sometimes they know he isn't of such good character (and usually kids that come from gangs or tough neighborhoods are just that - tough, and make good athletes, which their high schools pass through to keep eligible for their football or basketball program), but hear him say how he wants to get away from his current life and start over fresh, yada yada yada, and in their misconstrued belief that they can bring a better change to this person's life, they sign him up. They need to realize that it took 18 years to make this person the way he is, and it most likely will not change for them overnight. They have surrounded themselves with a certain type of persons, and that is all they know, and those are the people they are comfortable being around...they will most likely continue to do that.

It is naive to believe that someone is going to go from being a thug to sitting in the church choir on Friday night. It is more likely that a kid will slide backwards into the party culture than to go the other way when they get away from home - that is just being a freshman. Schools will most likely get the person they recruited if they are already in that mode...and should be expecting it. The school takes the chance that there won't be any incidents that will bring negative attention to their programs while the kid is at their school, and he will remain eligible. I don't think they really think long term, after he leaves the program, though. Maybe they figure he will get an education and choose to do something with it, who knows...but again, if a kid is raised in gang culture, or has to be tough and do things that aren't legal to survive growing up, it is what they know - chances are they will revert back to it, and do things that are illegal, or just on the line - which will sometimes make them actually look like good business people. But it is the ones that go to getting into trouble you hear about, not the ones that actually did make the change along the way, unfortunately.

Recruiting kids in a inner-city culture can be dicey...at best. But I do think that recruiters need to take a harder look at their "real" character before signing them on. Who are the people that they surround themselves with every day? What is their relationship with their parents or grandparents? What are their parents and grandparents values? Recruiting is a fast and loose process, you have to get in and sell the school...where it should be the kid selling themselves to some degree also - and not just by what they are on the field, since chances are, the kid will get more out of the education than the school will ever get out of the kid's athletic abilities.