Sean Fisher

During the PPV it mentioned that Fisher is consuming a 6500 cal/day diet to beef up a bit. Brings on the burgers and milk, geesh....

Doesn't Micheal Phelps throw down about 10k each day? Completely different reasons but still......

BTW my official man crush has wore off Ganz on onto Fisher and Rex, although I like what I seen from Lee and Green...ya'll can fight over them.

I'm glad that the coaches are making him gain more weight......that kid is almost as skinny as Alex Henery. They had a close up on Fisher and I was like thats one skinny LB....put some extra muscle and pounds on him and add another 3 years and Fisher is going to be a stud. Oops and don't forget about Compton too.

I'm glad that the coaches are making him gain more weight......that kid is almost as skinny as Alex Henery. They had a close up on Fisher and I was like thats one skinny LB....put some extra muscle and pounds on him and add another 3 years and Fisher is going to be a stud. Oops and don't forget about Compton too.

I think the announcers said he was around 230lbs, but he didn't look it.

During the PPV it mentioned that Fisher is consuming a 6500 cal/day diet to beef up a bit. Brings on the burgers and milk, geesh....

Doesn't Micheal Phelps throw down about 10k each day? Completely different reasons but still......

BTW my official man crush has wore off Ganz on onto Fisher and Rex, although I like what I seen from Lee and Green...ya'll can fight over them.

i hope he enjoys it while it lasts!

i personally take 5000-5500 calories a day. i use it in the gym daily. im not a huge guy by any means but im certainly not fat! i typically work off about 3000 calories in the gym every day and then obviously the other 2000-2500 are used throughout the day. i dont work out nearly as much as a football player and im not fat, so there is no reason that he would be.

if you know what you are doing 6500 calories a day will not hurt you.

Filling up with the right fuel

OWH

LINCOLN — Grab a plate and follow Ndamukong Suh through the Nebraska training table dinner buffet after a high-activity day.

Just make it a big plate.

Per his meal plan, designed by NU nutritionist Josh Hingst, a Suh dinner could include:

• Three servings of fruit.

• Three helpings of vegetables.

• Four to six servings of carbohydrates, including breads, pastas or cereals.

• Two doses of lean proteins (about 4 ounces each), whether it be grilled chicken breast, shrimp stir fry or lean cuts of red meat.

“It’s going to be multiple trips,’’ Hingst said.

Hingst was hired in April to write out the nutritional formulas that would allow Nebraska football players to work out, practice and play at optimum performance.

That means somebody like Suh isn’t haphazardly grabbing what looks good to him in the chow line. Same goes for what he drinks or snacks on immediately after a practice. Or what he eats at home or when he dines out.

“Our main goal is obviously to know what their energy needs are and, based on their needs, make adjustments to help them lose body fat or get to the best playing weight for them,’’ Hingst said. “Once we know the calories, we want to break those calories up in five or six meals a day.’’

Some of the calorie totals are staggering — and not advisable for the average male.

Hingst said the 200-pounders were told to consume 3,500 to 4,500 calories daily during summer conditioning. Linemen might have been looking at between 4,500 and 5,000 during two-a-days — twice the recommended intake of a typical adult male.

And exceptions are everywhere, with somebody like 6-foot-6 linebacker Sean Fisher downing about 6,500 calories as he was trying to add mass.

“With Fisher, his metabolism was crazy,’’ Hingst said. “In May, he was around 220. At the end of the summer he was already 235, and we were able to make about 10 of that muscle.

“With nutrition, not everybody is the exact same, so it’s hard to get a cookie-cutter system. But we feel like we’ve got a good system that allows some flexibility.’’

Hingst is just as busy formulating in-practice and post-practice plans.

As a rule of thumb, players are expected to drink a half-ounce per day for every pound they weigh. Hingst has it broken down into ounces consumed before practice, for every 15 minutes of the workout and afterward.

All through preseason camp, players came off the practice field to tables stocked with drinks or snacks, intended to meet specific totals for calories, protein, carbohydrates, electrolytes, sodium and potassium.

Jeff Jamrog, NU’s assistant athletic director for football, said an important piece to the puzzle is that Husker players have responded favorably to Hingst and his methods.

“We think he’s on the cutting edge of nutrition,’’ Jamrog said. “There are some things our players have never seen before.

“I think it gives kids a boost of confidence when they see obvious changes in their body and changes in their performance. They’re not cramping up. Anything you can do to get that edge, we feel it’s well worth it.’’

Hingst has Nebraska roots, having grown up in Hooper and graduated from NU. He learned strength and conditioning under Boyd Epley and nutrition under Dave Ellis.

Hingst earned his master’s at Florida State and worked with the Seminoles for six years. He spent an NFL season with the Atlanta Falcons before he became available when his position was eliminated.

He called working with the NU staff and players “a pretty amazing environment.’’ He works closely with strength and conditioning coach James Dobson.

“We saw some great improvements as a team over the summer, and that’s a testament to Coach Dobson and all these guys and buying into the nutrition,’’ he said. “As a team, we put on over 400 pounds of muscle.’’

Everything is based on weights and body-fat percentages. Plans depend on the amount of activity expected for a particular day.

A trip to McDonald’s or Burger King is allowed now and again, but players are expected to follow guidelines. If they’re scheduled for 800 calories for lunch and the double cheeseburger is 600, they need to limit the rest of their intake to 200.

“I want them to know everything they put in their body is going to affect how their body performs,’’ Hingst said. “Just like we pride ourselves on nobody is going to train harder or better than us, the same thing is true for nutrition.’’