Turner Gill

I do not want Watson. He is fine for you guys, but not fine for us. I would prefer someone who knows how to build solid defenses and a run emphasized offense. I still maintain that to win in the North in late October and November that a solid rushing foundation is the key to long term success, no one can change my mind on that philosophy.

Turner Gill has done a GREAT job at Buffalo. If Colorado offers, he would surely take a long hard look and unless there is another opportunity that he suspects is coming up soon; he'll likely take it. Fans get all goofy when it comes to former players or assistants and what jobs they should or should not take.

It is the man's career, not a bunch of yapping fans. We know that he will conduct himself honorably and likely do a good job wherever he goes. If he rebuilds the Colorado program, so be it. What is there for Big Red fans to be afraid of or so petulant about?

Anyone of you posters if the competitor of your employer offered you 1 million $ more than you are making would take it in a heart beat. Get Real.

I don't see why CU is making things like the sky is falling. I mean, after all, the CSU game the other night, which was definitely not the worst day for CU fans, is still better than the best day for Husker fans. :sarcasm

Ahhh, ty, now I feel better I came close to forgetting :)

Turner Gill has done a GREAT job at Buffalo. If Colorado offers, he would surely take a long hard look and unless there is another opportunity that he suspects is coming up soon; he'll likely take it. Fans get all goofy when it comes to former players or assistants and what jobs they should or should not take.

It is the man's career, not a bunch of yapping fans. We know that he will conduct himself honorably and likely do a good job wherever he goes. If he rebuilds the Colorado program, so be it. What is there for Big Red fans to be afraid of or so petulant about?

Anyone of you posters if the competitor of your employer offered you 1 million $ more than you are making would take it in a heart beat. Get Real.

Chill out man.

The whole point of my original post was just to make light of how funny I find it that Colorado fans, in particualr, the ones over at allbuffs.com, who do nothing but talk bad about Nebraska and everything relating to it, are considering him as a coaching candidate.

Is that okay?

Gill didn't get a sniff from Syracuse despite breathing life into an utterly dead program just down the road from Syracuse. They hired a guy with no head coach experience.

Boston College didn't consider him despite overlapping recruiting areas, hiring within there was no shocker though.

Iowa State didn't give him a look either and hired a guy with no head coaching experience.

That's three programs you logically should have expected to give him a look.

I suspect once he gets a decent offer he's gone assuming anyone ever bothers to interview him.

Tuberville, by way of irrelevant trivia, he was nearly head coach at Arkansas State. When Ray Perkins left 8 days before signing day to become offensive coordinator for New England (he was mad the school wouldn't give him the AD job as well), Tuberville was the guy we wanted, he had been an assistant at ASU and is from Arkansas. Problem we had was all of Perkins assistants had 11 months left on their contracts. Tuberville named his price and said he wanted the ability to replace all of the assistants. We could afford the salary but couldn't afford to pay all of the assistants for 11 months. We countered with either taking less pay for one year and the right to replace all the assistants or the full salary and be stuck with Perkins people. He stayed at Miami another year before doing a year at TAMU and then the head spot at Ole Miss.

Don't count on them buying out Hawkins. Colorado, the state government, is notoriously cheap and the legislature isn't likely to look to kindly on that kind of move.

That is also a reason that the job would not be that desirable if it becomes available.

Do they still have the rule about no long term contracts? I know that was hurting them a few years ago. Not sure if that got changed.

Chill out man.

The whole point of my original post was just to make light of how funny I find it that Colorado fans, in particualr, the ones over at allbuffs.com, who do nothing but talk bad about Nebraska and everything relating to it, are considering him as a coaching candidate.

Is that okay?

It's a good thing that never happens here. :box

Don't count on them buying out Hawkins. Colorado, the state government, is notoriously cheap and the legislature isn't likely to look to kindly on that kind of move.

That is also a reason that the job would not be that desirable if it becomes available.

Do they still have the rule about no long term contracts? I know that was hurting them a few years ago. Not sure if that got changed.

Probably so, we are probably still paying Barnett as well....lol

It is a mess over there now. It's hard to believe we were in there shoes not even two years ago.

Link

It is very weird to hear the statements from Hawkins (I am doing a good job), and the moves from the AD (renewing Hawkins contract, public shows of total support), and the posts from the fans. To bad they don't have any money to buy him out.

Since we're all assuming here, I'll throw my 2 cents worth at it. Let's assume Hawkins does get fired. TO nearly left Nebraska for CU. CU is a much bigger program with some successful history. I don't think it would be a huge leap to think Gill would at least consider the move from Buffalo to a buffalo. All things considered though, I think CU goes down the same path as NU when selecting their next head coach. It appears that their offense needs some serious help. I'm guessing they make a bigger push for Watson or some other high profile OC as their next head coach. Hawkins was great at a smaller time school. I'm not sure CU will travel down this road so soon again and try to scoop up Gill or Peterson.

:yeah But I do think it is interesting in the past few weeks that both Osborne and Watson have said Colorado doesn't have the feel of Nebraska. Coach Osborne basically said he couldn't get back across the border fast enough. Watson said the cultures of the two are night and day. I think Gill will see that also since he will experience both if he interviews. While being at Buffalo gives Gill great experience in raising a cellar dweller there is no need to clean out the septic tank if you don't have to.