Here Comes the Fuel

NE Statepaper

Nebraska’s football team rebounded from a 16-15 loss to Virginia Tech with one of its best practices of the year, Cornhusker coaches and players agreed Monday.

Head coach Bo Pelini described the two-hour workout on the grass fields north of Memorial Stadium as “real fast” with “good tempo.” NU worked out in helmets and shoulder pads.

“We were just in shells, but I thought it was pretty physical,” Pelini said. “I thought it was really good. I liked the way they came out and their attitude.”

More talkative than usual, Pelini talked to the media for seven minutes after practice , or three times longer than he did after the Tech game itself. His final comments were nearly an impromptu pep talk, echoing the general theme of the day.

“We need to make this a fuel to make this a better football team, rather than a distraction that can make us divide,” Pelini said. “We won’t let it happen. We know how address that. That’s the challenge that lies ahead. I love those challenges. Our football team loves those challenges. We’re going rise up.

“It’s only way I know. It’s the only way this football team knows. It’s what that ‘N’ on the side of the football helmet represents.”

The emotion carried over to the players.

Said strong safety Larry Asante: “We’re not moping from it. We’re a more experienced team now. In the past, guys would come in moping around, but it’s football.”

Asante said the coaching staff “got out minds right” before Monday’s workout. The team watched film of the gut-wrencher, with the instruction that when it was over, it wouldn’t be spoken about among the team again.

Junior running back Roy Helu took the message to heart. Even though he rushed for a career-high 169 yards and forcefully put himself on the national stage, his only response was “it’s in the past, I don’t want to talk about it.”

Pushed to assess his performance, Helu used only one word: “decent.”

But -

“It was the ‘funnest’ practice of the year,” Helu said. “It was just fun. We went back to having fun, but we executed at the same time. That’s the attitude we took on out there.”

That’s the Pelini way, Asante said, a change he’s noticed in the last couple seasons. That bounce-back factor should help Nebraska prepare for Louisiana-Lafayette, which lacks Virginia Tech’s pedigree, although the Ragin’ Cajuns did beat Kansas State 17-15 earlier this year.

“I don’t think Coach Bo, Coach Carl (Pelini), Coach (Marvin) Sanders or any of them will let us play down to the level our opponent,” Asante said.

Pelini also assuaged concerns that quarterback Zac Lee was significantly hurt in the second half vs. the Hokies. Lee wore a splint on his left thumb Monday and didn’t practice. But that wasn’t because of his thumb, Pelini said. Rather, Lee “took some medication, and he shouldn’t exert himself” when on it.

“He’ll be back tomorrow,” said Pelini, who added that Lee will definitely start against Louisiana-Lafayette.

Asante wore a green, no-contact jersey throughout practice, but said he’d be fine for Saturday’s 6 p.m. game.