Asante/Thenarse Injuries

This is all I could find - from KETV

Injury Concerns Mar Otherwise Dominant Effort

September 26, 2009 by Steve Hanway

Nebraska took control early against Louisiana-Lafayette, capitalizing on some good bounces to take a 34-0 lead in the second quarter. But along the way, a number of Husker players took some punishment. Safety Rickey Thenarse left with what may have been a knee injury. Tight end Mike McNeil may have sprained an ankle. Safety Larry Asante managed to injure an ankle as he was running back an interception to give NU the 34-0 margin. Cornerback Prince Amukamara also limped off the field with an apparent ankle sprain. Not things you want to see in the last game before the start of conference play.

amukamara's didn't look like an ankle sprain to me...it was the result of a very dirty hit

I was standing where the players come out after the game and someone asked Thenarse if he was alright, and he was smiling say "yeah I'll be good"

However, and I don't want to set off a panic, but Asante was following him and he was walking with a boot on his foot and grimaced with each step he took.

Not saying it means anything, maybe it felt more comfortable in a boot and possibly had ice in there so they put it on him. If Bo said hes fine then thats awesome, I was just a little shocked to see him in a boot.

So I don't think Rickeys injury seemed to serious, he was barely walking with a limp and he kind of always walks with a limp.

This is all I could find - from KETV

Injury Concerns Mar Otherwise Dominant Effort

September 26, 2009 by Steve Hanway

Nebraska took control early against Louisiana-Lafayette, capitalizing on some good bounces to take a 34-0 lead in the second quarter. But along the way, a number of Husker players took some punishment. Safety Rickey Thenarse left with what may have been a knee injury. Tight end Mike McNeil may have sprained an ankle. Safety Larry Asante managed to injure an ankle as he was running back an interception to give NU the 34-0 margin. Cornerback Prince Amukamara also limped off the field with an apparent ankle sprain. Not things you want to see in the last game before the start of conference play.

amukamara's didn't look like an ankle sprain to me...it was the result of a very dirty hit

I don't think it was a dirty hit. There was a fumble and the O-lineman dove for the ball and ended up hitting Prince's leg.....maybe I saw it differently.

I really hope Asante is OK. It looked like he stepped awkwardly when he scored.

However, and I don't want to set off a panic, but Asante was following him and he was walking with a boot on his foot and grimaced with each step he took.

Not saying it means anything, maybe it felt more comfortable in a boot and possibly had ice in there so they put it on him. If Bo said hes fine then thats awesome, I was just a little shocked to see him in a boot.

I imagine when it comes to injuries, they will always err to the side of being overly cautious, so that may be the reason. Honestly, from the way they treated it and how he responded, it sounds similar to when I had a second degree ankle sprain, albeit I didn't get medical attention for it. It did affect me for the rest of that baseball season though, which with my footspeed (or lack thereof) was no laughing matter.

IF Asante or Thenarse has an ACL tear, is it too late for a medical redshirt?

I believe so. I recall hearing that it had to be before they played in 2 games or 20% of the season, whichever is larger. In both cases, it would be too late. Someone who knows more on the subject would be appreciated though.

Asante would be the much bigger hit, given that O'Hanlon has played probably 2/3 of the snaps over Thenarse. I've been pleasantly surprised with Asante too. Hell, he even CAUGHT something Saturday! I was amazed!

As i posted on a different thread Ricky did tear his ACL and is having surgery later this week. He will be out for the rest of the season but can get a medical and play next year. Larry has a high ankle sprain but should be fine for the Mizzu game. Sucky