Asante/Thenarse Injuries

Asante would be the much bigger hit, given that O'Hanlon has played probably 2/3 of the snaps over Thenarse. I've been pleasantly surprised with Asante too. Hell, he even CAUGHT something Saturday! I was amazed!

As i posted on a different thread Ricky did tear his ACL and is having surgery later this week. He will be out for the rest of the season but can get a medical and play next year. Larry has a high ankle sprain but should be fine for the Mizzu game. Sucky

I'm 99% sure that Thenarse cannot get a MRS because he has played in more than 20% of the scheduled games. Which of course sucks for him and the team.

Asante would be the much bigger hit, given that O'Hanlon has played probably 2/3 of the snaps over Thenarse. I've been pleasantly surprised with Asante too. Hell, he even CAUGHT something Saturday! I was amazed!

As i posted on a different thread Ricky did tear his ACL and is having surgery later this week. He will be out for the rest of the season but can get a medical and play next year. Larry has a high ankle sprain but should be fine for the Mizzu game. Sucky

I hate to say it but there is NO WAY Rickey qualifies for a medical. He has played in ALL 4 games. Remember, that INCLUDES speacial teams! He won't get this year of eligibility back. I wish he could.

UPDATE

Per rivals Asante will play against Missouri but Thenarse will be "out for awhile." Bad time to get the injury for Ricky. Hope the backups are ready to rock.

Who's Ricky's backup?

you mean on special teams or at S. I don't know at S. O'Hanlon is the starter, Thenarse #2 but I would imagine Hagg would play there before him if O'Hanlon went down.

I just don't see Thenarse's injury hurting us at all on defense, special teams maybe.

Damn. I hope theses guys get well. We dont just need the players to heal, we need guys that can practice full tilt, know the game plan, their assignments and be ready to go. We are really starting to see how important it is to practice and communicate and be at your best. No one is good enough to rest and just show up on game day. It'll be interesting to see who's practicing and what not.

UPDATE

Per rivals Asante will play against Missouri but Thenarse will be "out for awhile." Bad time to get the injury for Ricky. Hope the backups are ready to rock.

Who's Ricky's backup?

you mean on special teams or at S. I don't know at S. O'Hanlon is the starter, Thenarse #2 but I would imagine Hagg would play there before him if O'Hanlon went down.

I just don't see Thenarse's injury hurting us at all on defense, special teams maybe.

Gawd I wish they would have scored on both those plays and those safeties were healthy. While Thenarse didn't start, against the best QB we have faced who will surely be flinging the ball early and often we need all our DBs healthy. Knowing something about orthopedics, a severe high ankle sprain is an injury that is slow to heal on someone who has to play at a high level planting cleats into turf and cutting. Hopefully it is not as severe as it first appeared and he can practice and c ome into the game pretty sound and up to speed, but that is far from a sure thing. . We will need all the defense we can muster on the road in Columbia.

UPDATE

Who's Ricky's backup?

PJ Smith.

I'm not too worried. We know he can tackle. Just ask Fisher :)

Seriously though, I thought the secondary, especially safety, was where we were thinnest on defense. I'm sure glad to hear Asante should be OK. And I feel REALLY bad for Thenarse. I hope the ACL rumors aren't true. He seems like a good kid.

IF Asante or Thenarse has an ACL tear, is it too late for a medical redshirt?

I believe so. I recall hearing that it had to be before they played in 2 games or 20% of the season, whichever is larger. In both cases, it would be too late. Someone who knows more on the subject would be appreciated though.

The NCAA website states:

The term "redshirt" is used to describe a student-athlete who does not participate in competition in a sport for an entire academic year. If you do not compete in a sport the entire academic year, you have not used a season of competition. For example, if you are a qualifier, and you attend a four-year college your freshman year, and you practice but do not compete against outside competition, you would still have the next four years to play four seasons of competition.

Each student is allowed no more than four seasons of competition per sport. If you were not a qualifier, you may have fewer seasons of competition available to you. You should know that NCAA rules indicate that any competition, regardless of time, during a season counts as one of your seasons of competition in that sport. It does not matter how long you were involved in a particular competition (for example, one play in a football game, one point in a volleyball match); you will be charged with one season of competition.

Please contact the certifying institution or conference for additional information. You also may contact the NCAA membership services staff at 317/917-6222 if you have further questions.

The NCAA by-laws defines a medical hardship as follows:

14.2.4 Hardship Waiver. A student-athlete may be granted an additional year of competition by the conference or the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement for reasons of “hardship.” Hardship is defined as an incapacity resulting from an injury or illness that has occurred under all of the following conditions: (Revised: 8/8/02, 11/1/07 effective 8/1/08)

a. The incapacitating injury or illness occurs in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition at any two year or four-year collegiate institutions or occurs after the first day of classes in the student-athlete’s senior year in high school; (Revised: 1/10/92 effective 8/1/92, 11/1/01, 8/8/02)

b. The injury or illness occurs prior to the first competition of the second half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport (see Bylaw 14.2.4.3.4) and results in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season; (Revised: 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97, 4/26/01 effective 8/1/01, 4/3/02, 4/24/08)

c. In team sports, the injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 30 percent (whichever number is greater) of the institution’s scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in his or her sport. Only scheduled or completed competition against outside participants during the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship, or, if so designated, during the official NCAA championship playing season in that sport (e.g., spring baseball, fall soccer), shall be countable under this limitation in calculating both the number of contests or dates of competition in which the student-athlete has participated and the number of scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition during that season in the sport. Dates of competition that are exempted (e.g., alumni contests, foreign team in the United States.) from the maximum permissible number of contests or dates of competition shall count toward the number of contests or dates in which the student-athlete has participated and the number of scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in the season, except for scrimmages and exhibition contests that are specifically identified as such in the sport’s Bylaw 17 playing and practice season regulations. Scrimmages and exhibition contests that are not exempted from the maximum permissible number of contests or dates of competition may be excluded from the calculation only if they are identified as such by in the sport’s Bylaw 17 playing and practice season regulations; and (Revised: 1/10/92, 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97, 4/26/01 effective 8/1/01, 3/10/04, 5/11/05, 8/4/05, 4/26/07, 9/18/07, 4/24/08)

d. In individual sports, the injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three dates of competition or 30 percent (whichever number is greater) of the maximum permissible number of dates of competition as set forth in Bylaw 17 plus one date for a conference championship (e.g., gymnastics: 13+1=14, wrestling: 16+1=17), regardless of whether the team participates in the conference championship, provided the institution is a member of a conference and the conference holds a championship event in the applicable sport. Dates of competition that are exempted per Bylaw 17 (e.g., alumni contests, foreign team in the United States) from the maximum permissible number of dates of competition do not count toward the number of dates in which the student-athlete has participated. (Adopted: 4/24/08)