Let's talk football: MU game matchups

DocNice

The talk is Zac can not hit the long ball

watch this video

http://video.tigerboard.com/tbtv/view/inde...92909/segment/2

Once we return to beating MU every year like what happened for the last 50 years there are goping to be some real nasty MU fans cause they really think that they are very good!!!! :restore

"I don't see where all the excitement is." - in referring to Zac Lee.

Where is all the excitement for Gabbert? His 4 wins against bottom of the barrel football teams? We may have lost to VaTech, but at least we played somebody and gauged how good we really are. How does Missouri know how good they are?

watch this video

Once we return to beating MU every year like what happened for the last 50 years there are goping to be some real nasty MU fans cause they really think that they are very good!!!! :restore

Where is all the excitement for Gabbert? His 4 wins against bottom of the barrel football teams? We may have lost to VaTech, but at least we played somebody and gauged how good we really are. How does Missouri know how good they are?

Actually neither of these young programs kinow how good they are. They will know where they stand in the big 12 North after Thursday and have a little better line on whether they are good. Until either of these teams beat somebody; they might have potential but that cannot be considered a good football team. Beating cream puffs don[t count for Misery and losing close doesn't mean a dang thing for our program.

Winning on the road against a big XII team that has beaten us badly the last two years will tell us a lot. GBR

What. Are. You. Talking. About.

Illinois is a good team. Juice Williams is on like every award watch list and the Illini have dominated every other game they've played after losing to Missouri... with the exception of Ohio State. And they're losing to Penn State. But aside from that, they ROCK. You are out of your mind saying anything bad about Illinois.

Bowling Green is also an absolutely fantabulous team. They're the stuff of dreams and opponent nightmares. Especially if that opponent is Troy. If that opponent is not Troy, then they're only slightly fantabulous. But still they're really, really good. They lost closely to Marshall who is also really really really really good, and they only just kind of barely got blown out by Boise State, who is a top ten team and so good they fart magic fairy dust.

Furman is the single greatest team in the history of college football's second division, if that history only includes their 2009 victories against Presbyterian, Chattanooga and Western Carolina. The 400 yards of offense they generated against Missouri proves how good they are. Next time you even think of Furman you had better genuflect, man. Beating Furman is so hard. So hard.

And Nevada - don't even get me started on Nevada. Colin Kaepernick is the greatest dual-threat quarterback in the history of most everything related to college football.... as played in the northern reaches of upper western Nevada. And that's despite the fact that not a single Missouri fan has any idea how to spell his name. Sure, Nevada is 0-3 and has lost by two scores to every single opponent they've played, but that's all part of the plan. They're just setting people up, man. Even thinking that Nevada is a "bottom of the barrel" team is ludicrous. Ludicrous.

I don't even know who you are anymore, Enhance. :dunno

Illinois is a good team. Juice Williams is on like every award watch list and the Illini have dominated every other game they've played after losing to Missouri... with the exception of Ohio State. And they're losing to Penn State. But aside from that, they ROCK. You are out of your mind saying anything bad about Illinois.

Bowling Green is also an absolutely fantabulous team. They're the stuff of dreams and opponent nightmares. Especially if that opponent is Troy. If that opponent is not Troy, then they're only slightly fantabulous. But still they're really, really good. They lost closely to Marshall who is also really really really really good, and they only just kind of barely got blown out by Boise State, who is a top ten team and so good they fart magic fairy dust.

Furman is the single greatest team in the history of college football's second division, if that history only includes their 2009 victories against Presbyterian, Chattanooga and Western Carolina. The 400 yards of offense they generated against Missouri proves how good they are. Next time you even think of Furman you had better genuflect, man. Beating Furman is so hard. So hard.

And Nevada - don't even get me started on Nevada. Colin Kaepernick is the greatest dual-threat quarterback in the history of most everything related to college football.... as played in the northern reaches of upper western Nevada. And that's despite the fact that not a single Missouri fan has any idea how to spell his name. Sure, Nevada is 0-3 and has lost by two scores to every single opponent they've played, but that's all part of the plan. They're just setting people up, man. Even thinking that Nevada is a "bottom of the barrel" team is ludicrous. Ludicrous.

:hmmph

I'm no use anymore! What has happened to me?

*Deletes Huskerboard account*

Wow, that started with a good post and has devolved quickly into the same posts as the other threads.

I agree with most of the assessment of the original poster except that I think NU's odds of mounting a good pass rush are higher. Based on my observations from watching both teams, MU hasn't exactly been really good in pass pro while NU has been good (not great) in pass rush. I think those combine to give NU a pretty good pass rush in this matchup. I really think MU needs to get some semblence of a running or screen game going to slow down that rush.

On the other side of the fence, I think MU's chances to limit the NU run game are better than the 35% listed. I think NU will be able to run, but MU can do some things with the scheme to limit that. This isn't the dominate running game of the Osborne years. However, if that does happen, I think NU will have some opportunities to go deep on Mizzou. It's really, really hard to defend a good running game and the deep ball simultaneously.

I can't find too much to disagree with. Except...there's no way we don't absolutely dominate in special teams. Henery and Kunalic are easily the best kick/punt combo in the country.

If you gain a significant advantage on special teams it will be on kickoff returns most likely. If your punter is so much more superior, why do we rank 14th and you 64th. And our punter is pretty good at pinning teams deep too. Lastly, let's say your kicker is really good, what evidence do you have? It's hard to do much better than 100% as our kicker is.

I'm pretty sure ours is 100% this year also. How many of your field goal kickers are +50?

You've missed one long one, but honestly, how much advantage is that extra 5 yards of range?

Really? You really have to ask this question? Let's say less than 10 seconds, your team is down by 2. You get to say the 40 and the clock is stopped at 2 seconds. You wouldn't think that 5 yards is an advantage for a kicker? You can't be that dense man, can you?

watch this video

You are never done testing yourself. But it's safe to say that Gabbert is a pretty good QB. We've tested ourselves enough to know that.

The funny thing is, in your sarcasm, you're kind of proving my point. Nobody is saying these programs are all going to finish the year ranked. But we are saying they are good enough to test us and make us better.

Illinois has played an absolute gauntlet of teams. It's clear they are not a good team this year, but they do appear to me to be a middle of the pack Big 10 team, and that's a respectable test for any squad, including NU. And of course, we passed with flying colors. If you watched the Penn State game today, Illinois was competitive for a while, and Penn State is a pretty decent squad. I'm not sure Illinois can get to a bowl game, but they're clearly a dangerous team capable of beating you.

Bowling Green. They've disappointed a little bit. I really thought they'd challenge for the MAC title after the way they thumped Troy and then played us tough. But they seem to be retreating to last year's trend of losing in close games. Nonetheless, I still say that while we should have blown BG out, they were a good enough team to challenge us, and we rose to that challenge in ways that will help our confidence the rest of the year.

Furman. You know, nobody on here has ever bragged about the Furman win. Yes, they're a good FCS school, but that's just silly to even bring up. But it's also stupid to bring up as a failure, since we dominated them about as much as one can dominate a team, short of leaving in the starters the whole game like Stoops likes to do. We were up 42-0 with the backups playing before they sniffed our side of the field.

Nevada. Earlier this week, I said Nevada was a better team than their record, and said as evidence that the play of their team against Mizzou showed it. That simply was not a bad team, and they were going to start winning some games once they stopped hurting themselves. I feel a bit vindicated today. 773 yards of offense, no matter who its against, is an impressive number. Over 500 yards of rushing alone. I mean, damn. That's the most in major college football this year by far. I don't know whether 2-2 UNLV is any good. They've stuck with good teams in their losses an beat up on cupcakes. But does it matter? Even Texas vs the Sisters of the Blind hasn't put up 773 yards of offense. I don't know what the future holds for Nevada, but I do know this, they were a good enough team to put up a legit fight on the road, and we handled our business pretty well.

watch this video

You are never done testing yourself. But it's safe to say that Gabbert is a pretty good QB. We've tested ourselves enough to know that.

Well I think it's irrefutable that Gabbert is and will be a good QB, but I don't know how this guy can have an opinion like this.

I mean I look at it this way. Gabbert has had great numbers against poor defenses. Lee had great numbers against poor defenses, and bad numbers against a good defense with a broken thumb for the second half. So what do we know? Gabbert can get it done against bad teams, and so can Lee. Lee had trouble with a great defense, and Gabbert...well we don't know.

I think it's safe to say both are great QB's. Zac Lee's troubles weren't all his own fault. Against VaTech, 1 interception was an up for grabs end of game pass and many of his incompletions came to receivers dropping balls.

I expect Lee to step it up in Columbia, with a tougher road game already under his belt despite the loss.

I can't find too much to disagree with. Except...there's no way we don't absolutely dominate in special teams. Henery and Kunalic are easily the best kick/punt combo in the country.

If you gain a significant advantage on special teams it will be on kickoff returns most likely. If your punter is so much more superior, why do we rank 14th and you 64th. And our punter is pretty good at pinning teams deep too. Lastly, let's say your kicker is really good, what evidence do you have? It's hard to do much better than 100% as our kicker is.

I'm pretty sure ours is 100% this year also. How many of your field goal kickers are +50?

You've missed one long one, but honestly, how much advantage is that extra 5 yards of range?

Really? You really have to ask this question? Let's say less than 10 seconds, your team is down by 2. You get to say the 40 and the clock is stopped at 2 seconds. You wouldn't think that 5 yards is an advantage for a kicker? You can't be that dense man, can you?

And I stick to my point. How often do you have that specific situation? Once every 5 years MAYBE? That probably gets you less than 10 extra points in an entire season.

watch this video

Well I think it's irrefutable that Gabbert is and will be a good QB, but I don't know how this guy can have an opinion like this.

I mean I look at it this way. Gabbert has had great numbers against poor defenses. Lee had great numbers against poor defenses, and bad numbers against a good defense with a broken thumb for the second half. So what do we know? Gabbert can get it done against bad teams, and so can Lee. Lee had trouble with a great defense, and Gabbert...well we don't know.

I think it's safe to say both are great QB's. Zac Lee's troubles weren't all his own fault. Against VaTech, 1 interception was an up for grabs end of game pass and many of his incompletions came to receivers dropping balls.

I expect Lee to step it up in Columbia, with a tougher road game already under his belt despite the loss.

Hey, I've got nothing against Lee. I fully expect that he'll play better against Mizzou than he did against VT. I don't think he'll carve us up at will, but he'll play better.

I do think that Gabbert is better, but I admit that's only a partially formed opinion based on stats, hype, Lee and Gabbert's games so far, and a little bit of homer vision.

watch this video

Hey, I've got nothing against Lee. I fully expect that he'll play better against Mizzou than he did against VT. I don't think he'll carve us up at will, but he'll play better.

I do think that Gabbert is better, but I admit that's only a partially formed opinion based on stats, hype, Lee and Gabbert's games so far, and a little bit of homer vision.

Well I think Lee is better because he is a HUSKER!!! :box:clap:restore:restore

But in all seriousness, I think these guys are so close in talent level it is tough to distinguish one over the other.

Plus offensive styles play a lot into numbers. I mean everybody thinks that spread quarterbacks aren't as good as a guy like Sam Bradford simply because they spend all their time throwing dump passes and short routes, and not really showing off their arm strength a whole lot. Hopefully Gabbert can break this train of thought considering he leads in 30+ yard throws.

Biggest problem with any team based talk show is homerism, so you can't really take a Husker radio show or a Tiger show all too serious.

Well I think Lee is better because he is a HUSKER!!! :box:clap:restore:restore

But in all seriousness, I think these guys are so close in talent level it is tough to distinguish one over the other.

Plus offensive styles play a lot into numbers. I mean everybody thinks that spread quarterbacks aren't as good as a guy like Sam Bradford simply because they spend all their time throwing dump passes and short routes, and not really showing off their arm strength a whole lot. Hopefully Gabbert can break this train of thought considering he leads in 30+ yard throws.

Biggest problem with any team based talk show is homerism, so you can't really take a Husker radio show or a Tiger show all too serious.

I don't get to see too much local coverage due to living in California. But the national press has been pretty admiring of Gabbert, and I've already seen him high on draft charts. Plus, the stats are impressive. Top 10 in yardage, total offense and passer rating means he's not just all pro potential and no college impact like Josh Freeman.

But I think one thing that separates Gabbert from Lee are the measurables. I'll take your word for it that Lee has a monster arm like Gabbert, but 6-5 240 is pretty nice compared to 6-2 210. But of course that matters more at the next level. But also, Gabbert is really fast. 4.5 40 yard dash. It's pretty common for defenders to take the wrong angle on him. Most of that speed is straight ahead, he's not a slasher or juker so much. But he beat Jacory Harris in the 40 yard dash at the elite 11 camp, and most consider him a great running QB.