BO REALLY NEEDS TO BEAT MU

Twodocs

Do you ever even look at the stats of who Missouri has played? You look at 4-0 and think, "Wow, Missouri is good." But you never look deeper than that, and realize that Iowa State might be 4-0 against this schedule.

Nebraska played four QBs listed in the top 100 for Pass Efficiency and gave up a total of 28 points. Every QB we've played is in the top 100. Missouri has played ONE opponent in the top 100 - Tyler Sheehan from Bowling Green, the same BG team that, alone, put up nearly the same points on the Tigers as Nebraska's entire schedule. The same BG that is 1-4 on the season after losing to OHIO last weekend. Ohio scored more points on Bowling Green than Missouri, for goodness' sake. For the record, Blaine Gabbert is 4th in the nation in Pass Efficiency; Zac Lee is 16th and Tyrod Taylor is 27th. Juice Williams, Colin Kaepernick and the Furman QB are not listed in the top 100.

Gabbert hasn't played a competent pass defense yet. Zac Lee has. Missouri is ranked 39th in the country in pass defense, compared to VT's 20th. If Missouri allows Lee to throw for 150+ yards, they lose this game. Problem is, they've only held one opponent to <150 passing yards and that was Kaepernick, the running QB from Nevada. Their other three opponents have passed for in excess of 200 yards each, including Div IAA Furman, who threw for 300 yards. Missouri is giving up 351 yards of offense per game against teams averaging 334 yards per game. Nebraska is giving up 285 yards/game against teams averaging 358/game.

Nebraska has played statistically better offenses and defenses than Missouri. Nebraska has scored more on better defenses than Missouri (NE 9th in Scoring Offense, Missouri 15th). Nebraska has held better offenses (Opponent Scoring Offense AVG: NE - 23.6/game; MO - 22.5/game) to fewer points (Points Allowed: NE - 28; MO 62) than Missouri.

These are all stats taken from the NCAA's stat site - LINK

By all means, if you think I've gotten any of these wrong, let me know.

Once again, thanks for all the research. Looks exhausting.

What does it mean?

If it was on paper, I'd wipe my butt with it.

Does it really matter up to this point who has played who?

If you want to bring up 'cross' stats, let's look at Virginia Tech.

First of all, you keep hanging your hat on how tough their defense it, how you manhandled them for 58 minutes, hostile atmosphere, yada, yada, yada.

Fact of the matter is you scored ZERO touchdowns and only manufactured FG's.

Your coach had no nads to go for it on 4th & 1 and oh yeah....YOU LOST.

Heck....Duke passed for >350 yards on the 'vaunted' Tech defense and passed for a couple of TD's.

All this talk of out of conference schedules and how many points/yards were accumulated means squat.

Going back to the original intent of this thread.

Bo NEEDS this win.

He can't afford to start the Big XII 0-1 and lose to Mizzou AGAIN.

A win means the Huskers are back. A loss means they're treading water.

This game also has major recruiting implications as well.

It's on National TV.....no St. Louis/Kansas City kid wants to go to an institution that keeps getting their butt spanked on National TV by their home state's school.

Bo NEEDS this win.

No, the research is not "exhausting." It takes about five minutes on the NCAA stat site. You should try it sometime. ;)

Bo "NEEDS" this win like you "needed" to beat KU last year. Your road through the Big XII is fraught with disaster, while ours is looking easier and easier by the minute. We need to beat you OR Kansas and we win the North, that's how I see it.

The North winner does not need to go undefeated in conference play. I doubt Kansas, Missouri or Nebraska does. Looking at the schedules of us three, I give the easier road to Nebraska.

Either we learned something from VT or we didn't. If we did, MU goes down. If we didn't, MU has a chance. If you beat us you still may not win the North, a la KU in 2008.

I have to say, though - there is a certain evil little part of me that would love watching Missouri on a national stage in the Big XII Championship game having their tails handed to them by the South winner. Again. Because you guys will NOT be competitive against whomever emerges as the South champ.

Bo NEEDS this win.

No, the research is not "exhausting." It takes about five minutes on the NCAA stat site. You should try it sometime. ;)

Bo "NEEDS" this win like you "needed" to beat KU last year. Your road through the Big XII is fraught with disaster, while ours is looking easier and easier by the minute. We need to beat you OR Kansas and we win the North, that's how I see it.

The North winner does not need to go undefeated in conference play. I doubt Kansas, Missouri or Nebraska does. Looking at the schedules of us three, I give the easier road to Nebraska.

Either we learned something from VT or we didn't. If we did, MU goes down. If we didn't, MU has a chance. If you beat us you still may not win the North, a la KU in 2008.

I have to say, though - there is a certain evil little part of me that would love watching Missouri on a national stage in the Big XII Championship game having their tails handed to them by the South winner. Again. Because you guys will NOT be competitive against whomever emerges as the South champ.

I don't know, knapplc...I think you are forgetting about that legendary "Tiger aura" that Tiger Tim told us about. :lol:

Missouri already killed Illinois' will to play football for the rest of the season; a Nebraska loss may set our program back more than even the Bill Callahan era. If Bo doesn't win this game he may as well be fired because we will be doomed to another lost decade, while Missouri moves on to hugely relevant things like winning another Alamo Bowl.

(Don't get me wrong, the Tigers' overtime win against #22 Northwestern last year was really exciting.)

This could be a defining moment for Bo.

Win in Columbia and turn the current tide that is swinging in Mizzou's favor. A win and it might be awhile before Mizzou beats Nebraska again. Possibly a Big XII North in 2009 if the Huskers don't screw it up too much.

A loss on the other hand, could be disastrous. The Tigers aura would grow even larger and it would be increasingly difficult to beat them on a regular basis like you were used to in the 80's & 90's.

I'm not trying to troll.

Just stating the obvious.

This thread started with Bo needing to beat Mizzou.

It took exactly two posts before somebody said something about Mizzou's success/failure in 2009.

I wanted to keep this thread on track. ;)

A loss will not be disasterous, he needs another recruiting class or 2 to work with. Until we can win one of these big games on the road, can we truley say NU is back.

It is kind of interesting to think that Nebraska needs to beat Missouri to show their program is on track. This statement says alot about how far Missouri's program has evolved. I know Nebraska likes to "beat" up on Missouri's past history, and rightfully so, Lord knows I witnessed a big part of our mediocrity and in many years futility.

This game is going to be exciting, I expect "this" one to be close, I was at the game in 2005 and witnessed history on MU's part, this one I will be at home in South Carolina... enjoying the game in prime time..

Good Luck to the Huskers.. This is one Tiger fan glad to see Nebraska getting back on track.. just makes things right when Nebraska is solid as a football program.

Bo NEEDS this win.

One item that needs to be mentioned, is Oklahoma State really that big of a road bump? Is it unwinnable? I mean geez OSU lost to Houston! Who lost to UTEP!

Much to be decided when it comes to schedule...

Bo needs this game and NU needs this game much more, they are further down than the most of the faithful like to believe but a few realistic fans know how far down they are. Last year he was flapping his gums and his brother was trumpeting about a mystery D that would nullify the highflying Tigers, course it failed miserably, so his coaching is suspect untill he proves otherwise.

Because every top 10 defense he has coached in the last decade hasn't proven otherwise already? Say what you want about his head coaching acumen, but for the love of God even Hellen Keller could tell this guy knows how to coach a friggin defense.

Told ya

This is like seeing someone say, "The sun rises in the west," then telling that person, "They're going to tell you you're wrong."

Seriously. "Told ya?" When captain obvious has proof on his side? Come on. Don't reach so much.

Well you have to admit he is right, MU has squashed Nebraska the last two years, the games were not competitive, it was like .. watching Nebraska mop up a Bob Stull coached Missouri team in the late eighties! So you have to understand, until Nebraska proves it on the football field they are as good as Missouri, the VERY late history suggests they are not.... I think any reasonable football person would agree... Pellini has to prove himself .. and he very well may Thursday.

But as of now, you have to give credit to MU.. they have been the better program as of late.

post-3775-1254797450.jpg

Are you for real on this 11-1 stuff?

We lost four games last year, V-Tech, Missouri, T-Tech, and OU.

This year we've lost to V-Tech in a game that game down to the final moments. In some ways it was similar to last year in that our offense struggled and turned the ball over and that keyed the Hokie win.

We hoped Missouri would be in transition this year with their losses on offense and the loss of the OC. It appears that they are at least close to if not equal to what they were last year. Bad news for us since we got BASHED a year ago, at HOME. We are going to have to play a lot better than we did last year, especially since we have to go to their place.

T-Tech could be a chance at revenge since we have them at home and they are not the same team without Harrell and Crabtree. So we could make up for that loss, but we have to travel to Kansas and play a very tough foe in KU. If they beat us down there, the T-Tech win would represent no net gain in the won-lost column.

OU dominated us last year, and they will have Bradford back for the rematch. Once again, not good news for us.

I think we are going to be 8-4, maybe 9-3. But 11-1....that's a little bit crazy, don't ya think?

Another logical poster.

I predicted in another thread that the Huskers would finish 6-6.

But that was before Griffin got knocked out for the season.

My prediction was upped to 7-5.

8-4 maybe....but absolutely no more.

You guys are facing a tough schedule.

But I'm derailing this thread.

I repeat. Bo needs this game....

:laughpound

If you want to win the North, then yes, this is a must win game.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Somebody is posting with a clear head.

This is not only a game that is a must to win the North, it is also a game for Bo's psyche.

If the Bugeaters lose to Mizzou....AGAIN....that would make it three losses in a row (5 of 7) for the Huskers and two losses for Bo individually.

The more the losses start to pile up against a certain 'rival', the harder it is to swing it the other way.

(See how the Huskers used to wipe their shoes on Mizzou in the 80's and 90's)

This IS a big DEFINING game for Bo and Huskers.

You can call me ridiculous, you can spit your beer out, you can call me names, you can say I'm your winner of the Golden Troll (thanks, by the way)....I don't give two flips. I'm looking at this without red shades.

See, this is being broken down way too much...

Bo wants to win the game. He could care less about his psyche...

It is kind of interesting to think that Nebraska needs to beat Missouri to show their program is on track. This statement says alot about how far Missouri's program has evolved. I know Nebraska likes to "beat" up on Missouri's past history, and rightfully so, Lord knows I witnessed a big part of our mediocrity and in many years futility.

Errr.... yeah . The only people saying that are Missouri fans, because you yearn for relevance. As I have shown, this game is not a "must win" for Nebraska, not in the least. Missouri showed us that last year by losing to Kansas, but still winning the North.

I know it's fun for Missouri Fan to think this is a big game for Nebraska, but don't let's blow this out of proportion.

Ok, this has officially gone on wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too long, so I'm going to make it real simple for the folks from the Show me State...

Bo wants to win this weeks game, winning conference games lead to conference titles, conference titles mean conference championships, conference championships can lead to shots at the national title...

No psyche involved, he wants to win, end of f'n list...