Columbia bars after the romping...

I must admit hack i only took the original poster half serious. It would be like me posting last year. "hey! Any Tiger bars there in Lincoln?" the answer is well....duh. what do you think. But I am sure there are places were he can go without issue.

I always laugh at the how MU fans are horible talk. Truth is, quite often you will hear other fans from other teams say very nice things about MU fans. Much like they do to husker fans. Maybe its just you and ku that they have problems with? Even then, I always smile when i read "Mu fans are awful! the Worst ever. Have you heard what they do?? Its not even safe to go to a game there!!!.....well...No...I havent actually BEEN to a game in Columbia....But....Thats what I heard...on a message board" :wacko::clap

Fro, you've seen the posts from visiting Sunbeltians asking where to hang out in Lincoln before and after the game, and in years past from Hokies and assorted other Lincoln visitors. Why would you read the OP any different? He's not asking for a true "Husker bar," he's asking where he can go and not be harassed.

I must admit hack i only took the original poster half serious. It would be like me posting last year. "hey! Any Tiger bars there in Lincoln?" the answer is well....duh. what do you think. But I am sure there are places were he can go without issue.

I always laugh at the how MU fans are horible talk. Truth is, quite often you will hear other fans from other teams say very nice things about MU fans. Much like they do to husker fans. Maybe its just you and ku that they have problems with? Even then, I always smile when i read "Mu fans are awful! the Worst ever. Have you heard what they do?? Its not even safe to go to a game there!!!.....well...No...I havent actually BEEN to a game in Columbia....But....Thats what I heard...on a message board" :wacko::clap

Fro, you've seen the posts from visiting Sunbeltians asking where to hang out in Lincoln before and after the game, and in years past from Hokies and assorted other Lincoln visitors. Why would you read the OP any different? He's not asking for a true "Husker bar," he's asking where he can go and not be harassed.

You must admit its a little different for conference games.

All I know is we were pointed away from certain bars when I was in Lincoln. I guess it just depends on how thick your skin is. I could go on about the 10 different things that happend to me in Lincoln and why Husker fans and the city is SO awful. Or I can focus on the good times that i had, the good people i did speak to and have a nice story. Obviously there is no love loss between most Husker fans and MU fans. Thats maybe why i half thought he was joking. Either way i would have never suggested he go to Harpo's with out making sure it was obviously a joke.

All I know is we were pointed away from certain bars when I was in Lincoln. I guess it just depends on how thick your skin is. I could go on about the 10 different things that happend to me in Lincoln and why Husker fans and the city is SO awful. Or I can focus on the good times that i had, the good people i did speak to and have a nice story. Obviously there is no love loss between most Husker fans and MU fans. Thats maybe why i half thought he was joking. Either way i would have never suggested he go to Harpo's with out making sure it was obviously a joke.

I don't think it's different for conference games, or at least, it shouldn't be. But I guess that's not really the point.

I'm talking here just to be talking. I hold no animosity toward "typical" fans from Kansas, Colorado, KState, Iowa State or Missouri. We're all pretty much the same people, with little regionalistic differences, and if not but for an accident of birth location, could be rooting for any number of teams. It's highly unlikely I'd be rooting for Nebraska if I were born in Missouri, or Colorado.

I don't think it's different for conference games, or at least, it shouldn't be. But I guess that's not really the point.

I'm talking here just to be talking. I hold no animosity toward "typical" fans from Kansas, Colorado, KState, Iowa State or Missouri. We're all pretty much the same people, with little regionalistic differences, and if not but for an accident of birth location, could be rooting for any number of teams. It's highly unlikely I'd be rooting for Nebraska if I were born in Missouri, or Colorado.

Thats very true. We are the same people for the most part. I have no issues with most fans, even KU fans. I have good friends that root for NU and KU. I believe that i am pretty typical for most Tiger fans I know. They all laugh when they find out I post on message boards. They tease me about being one of those super fan freaks who picks fights with 12 year-olds. There are some totally jackasses out there. And yes some like the same team i do. But take it from someone that has spent much more time around many more tiger fans than most of you. they are the minority. As my buddy said above, we are very much the same and had i been born in Lincoln or Omaha I would probably be a husker fan. Just as if i was born in Lawrence i would probably be a Jayha....Oh who am I kidding..I would never cheer for KU!!! :clap

:wtf

you intentionally direct a husker fan to a known tiger bar ('cause that would be teh FUNNY!1!!) and then use a W T F icon when you're called on it.

pretty clueless, even by missouri standards.

I didn't mean to come off like I thought all MU fans were going to be problems. I'm 23 and will be with 5-6 other people my age. Basically, I am looking to stay clear of the bars frequented by the college folk. Maybe I should of stated that more explicitly but I figured people would of known. Whenever fans of other teams have asked me for suggestions I always tell them Buzzard Billys or Brewsky's in he Haymarket and to stay away from 13th and O after 10pm. I was hoping for the Columbia analog to a Lincoln suggestion like that...

you intentionally direct a husker fan to a known tiger bar ('cause that would be teh FUNNY!1!!) and then use a W T F icon when you're called on it.

I didn't mean to come off like I thought all MU fans were going to be problems. I'm 23 and will be with 5-6 other people my age. Basically, I am looking to stay clear of the bars frequented by the college folk. Maybe I should of stated that more explicitly but I figured people would of known. Whenever fans of other teams have asked me for suggestions I always tell them Buzzard Billys or Brewsky's in he Haymarket and to stay away from 13th and O after 10pm. I was hoping for the Columbia analog to a Lincoln suggestion like that...

No problem with asking. I dont know of any off hand but thats because I dont know that area very well and have never stayed after a game. I will check with some friends that are Alums and will post when I hear back from them :thumbs

I would say if you're honestly looking for a bar, look above. Heidelberg is a landmark Columbia bar right next to campus. Boone Tavern is not bad either. Both are far more chill. While that may not be the atmosphere you're looking for, those are places you really shouldn't have ANY issues. They're not the typical packed shoulder-to-shoulder bar where things can get heated.

Actually, you may be okay if you go to Shiloh, as well. It's a big MU alumni bar, and it's likely older alumni aren't going to give you any sh#t. I also know that a Tin Can just opened next to campus... They have two original locations in St. Louis. Very cool niche bar... They serve nothing but canned beer, and all types.... You can get get dirt cheap beer for a $1 or so; you could get premium beers for much more. They also have some pretty damn good comfort food.

Oh, and if you want some damn good pizza, I would go to Shakespeare's, also right next to campus. Amazing stuff with a bar and plenty of options. They offer a wide variety of pizzas with tons of different crust, cheese, sauce, and toppings. It's really very good.

Hope this helps. And by all means, if someone gives you trouble, just ignore them. They'll likely just walk their drunk asses away. I know that's what I do when in "enemy territory." Have fun! (and go Tigers! :) )

I've attended the NU game here in 07 and 05. Even when MU wins the fans are douchebags towards people wearing red.

I'm still looking for a place where I can hook up with some Nebraska fans. After 2+ years, I've pretty much given up all hope

And yea, Shakespeare's and the Berg are good places. I dunno what the atmosphere would be like after the game, but they are good places in general.

I've attended the NU game here in 07 and 05. Even when MU wins the fans are douchebags towards people wearing red.

It was the same in the late 80s. If you have Nebraska license plates, consider yourself lucky to get out of town with all of your tires...and yes, I know people who have had their tires slashed down there.

They have some decent fans, but also a rather large contingent that deserves to be shot in the back of the head.

It was the same in the late 80s. If you have Nebraska license plates, consider yourself lucky to get out of town with all of your tires...and yes, I know people who have had their tires slashed down there.

They have some decent fans, but also a rather large contingent that deserves to be shot in the back of the head.

I think I can offer a unique perspective to this discussion. I was born and rasied in Nebraska, but went to MU and currently live in Columbia. I have seen Columbia through the eyes of a Nebraska fan, and I have seen Lincoln through the eyes of a Mizzou fan. I cheer for both teams, but will be cheering for Mizzou tomorrow. I went to the game in Lincoln last year wearing Mizzou gear and was heckled and even had one drunk guy throw some beer on me. I had similar things happen in Columbia year ago when I was still more of a husker fan. Both fan bases have people who will do stupid things, especially when drunk, but the majority of both fan bases are good people.

As for bars in Columbia, I think most of the suggestsions here have been good. I plan to be out in some of those locations with some of my family who are husker fans. If you want to really avoid Tiger fans, you probably need to leave downtown and hit a strip mall type bar somewhere else in town. If you want to stay downtown, the Heidelberg, Boone Tavern and Shiloh are probably all safe bets that will have a slightly older more mellow crowd. I would probably avoid Harpos and The Field House, as it would tend to be where younger drunker MU fans would be.

Tin Can is good, I would also recommend Flat Branch, which is our local micro brewery. It will be packed, but I've never seen things get out of control there. Try the Green Chile Beer, it is my favorite.

Columbia is a great town, don't let a few drunk idiots ruin your fun. I've been to many away stadiums both in the Big 12 and out. I've been heckled a few places and had a few less than desirable experiences, but nothing any place that would make me not go back. Generally if you mind your own business, trouble won't find you. That's my opinion anyway.

Not only classless mizzery fans, but chicknshit ones too... why even bother going to columbia? TO said it best when he expressed his shock last night on BRWrapup that NU returned 100 tickets to columbia because NU fans didnt want to travel to a place where they get sh*t on... in so many words. <_<