What I have observed from watching Missouri

Twodocs

Gabbert has been under heavy pressure but has used his legs to cut himself some time and uses his arm to find # 81. So when we get a rush on the QB we need to make sure they do not drop coverage on #81.

Also the talent is still good when the backs get some room to run but the blocks have not been there. Pinkel has said he wants to get the rushing game going. This may not be the game to try that.

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/...i-running-game/

"Washington is averaging about 4 yards per carry this season, but a few long runs have helped his numbers. The reality is, that on a play-by-play basis, the Missouri running game has struggled, and concern has replaced Pinkel's air of confidence.

"We've got to run the ball better, period," Pinkel said Monday during the Big 12 coaches teleconference.

The latest stall in the ground game came in Missouri's 31-21 victory over Nevada on Friday night. The box score shows that the Tigers' running backs had 3.7 yards per carry, a figure that, while underwhelming, doesn't induce panic. Take out Washington's 42-yard run late in the game and that number shrinks to exactly 2 yards per rush.

Missouri's first victory against Illinois provided a similar performance. Overall, the top three Tigers backs ran 26 times for 80 yards at 3.07 yards per carry. Without a 32-yard carry by Washington? Less than 2.

The numbers from both of Missouri's home wins are an improvement. In the late victory over Bowling Green, Washington and Lawrence combined for 169 yards on 30 carries, and Lawrence averaged 7.7 yards on 10 rushes against Furman.

But even with those numbers, the running game has not produced in the way Pinkel envisioned, and there are several possible explanations.

Moore suffered a high ankle sprain against Illinois and has had one carry since. The offensive line, another presumed strength, might not be as strong as supposed, and Missouri's bigger commitment to the run might have opposing defenses making a bigger commitment to stopping it.

In the past, that would be a problem Pinkel could easily resolve, but this season, the plans for his offense make the decision more difficult.

"(When) we had Chase Daniel, and if they overloaded on the run, we just wouldn't run it," Pinkel said. "We'd throw it 15 times in a row until they backed out. We want to run the ball a little bit more, so there's a bit of a conflict there from a strategy standpoint. A spread offense is designed to open up running lanes, but how much do you want to throw your young quarterback? All those issues are the dynamics we're dealing with."

Whatever the cause, once the Tigers enter their conference schedule, the defenses will be faster, the pass rushes more relentless and the need for balance even more important. And Pinkel knows it.

"We're going to work to try to make it better," Pinkel said. "But I would agree that we haven't been running the ball as well as I would've liked.""

"

From what I have seen the running backs should rip MU. I hope they get some fresh legs with Rex B.

I think we can throw deep on this MU squad!

All the Tiger fans are basing the optimistic outlook they share on the recent past and the recent hypothesis that we are weak defensively. And also,Bo is no good and Lee is no Gabbert!

I am a huge Zac Lee fan and for those who think he had a bad game at VT, he had a very good but not great game. The stats were not super but he got us in position to score 5 times.

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/...onference-play/

The biggest intangible is probably the weather not Gabbert's emmotional level! Zac has more experience under fire and he also is one cool kat!

"COLUMBIA — With four wins in his first four games, Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert has made his coach happy.

But it's not so much Gabbert's 66.4 percent completion rate, or his 1,161 passing yards, or even his 11 touchdown passes that pleases Missouri coach Gary Pinkel.

No, Pinkel is excited about something intangible.

Speaking at his weekly press conference Sunday, Pinkel said he is particularly impressed with Gabbert’s ability to control his emotions on the field.

“Whether you get sacked, knocked out, or throw the greatest touchdown pass you've ever thrown, you come right back into this area right here, said Pinkel, as he moved his hands close together to indicate the small range of emotion. “

I've been coaching quarterbacks for a long time, and he’is doing a good job of staying in that area.”

Gabbert's poise is apparent in his lack of turnovers. In four games he has yet to throw an interception. He is not particularly worried about maintaining the streak.

“I"m not focusing on that at all,” Gabbert said. “Our goal is, as a team, take care of the football. We just execute our plays, that's really all we’are kind of keying on right now.”"

I noticed that in 2 games/highlights I've seen. Gabbert has a big arm...is surprisingly mobile for his size and could do some damage. But while he makes many 'good/textbook' throws there are some that his receivers, at least to me, save him big time. There were 2 in particular that he threw against Nevada that never should have been thrown and his receivers (81 and 30?) made unreal grabs to steal interceptions away. There is NFL caliber talent catching the ball there, which saves some of the first-year starter's rear. We don't have the best secondary in the world, but I'd think we might make him pay a little more for those throws than who they've faced so far. (Yes, missouri fans, you can point out Zac Lee's outstanding passing performance against VT if you'd like to chime in...) But are Missouri fans caught up in the big numbers so far or do they see some of these mistakes waiting to happen as well? Just wondering how they see it there in the stands and as a fanbase.

I would not be surprised to see Mizzou run alot of zone when Lee is in the groove of passing the ball. I think overall over the past 4 games Gilleylen has been underrated and Mizzou sees that, they won't let the middle of the field open like the past few games, this is great for us because it opens things up for Paul and Brooks and maybe McNeill. As for the running game, i think Helu will come out on all cylinders ready to run, it may look a little rough at first, but i think as the game progresses, Helu will get into a groove of a running just like he did against VaTech.

I noticed that in 2 games/highlights I've seen. Gabbert has a big arm...is surprisingly mobile for his size and could do some damage. But while he makes many 'good/textbook' throws there are some that his receivers, at least to me, save him big time. There were 2 in particular that he threw against Nevada that never should have been thrown and his receivers (81 and 30?) made unreal grabs to steal interceptions away. There is NFL caliber talent catching the ball there, which saves some of the first-year starter's rear. We don't have the best secondary in the world, but I'd think we might make him pay a little more for those throws than who they've faced so far. (Yes, missouri fans, you can point out Zac Lee's outstanding passing performance against VT if you'd like to chime in...) But are Missouri fans caught up in the big numbers so far or do they see some of these mistakes waiting to happen as well? Just wondering how they see it there in the stands and as a fanbase.

Oh, he's definitely taken a few risks. But I'm surprised, considering his youth, he hasn't taken more. I've watched all four games closely. You can really see the kid grow with each game. This game will be a great test. I'm excited to see how he will do against Big XII competition. We'll really see what we have in him.

It will be interesting to see how you all fair against MU running. If Will Compton was being honest, and you play a DIME, they're definitely going to try and get Washington the ball.

I worried a little when I heard this, because of that "secret plan" we had last year. That turned out to be rush 3 and drop 8, and they torched us..

On the other hand this is a new game, lots of different characters. It seems that most teams have crowded the line of scrimage and shut down Missouri's running game and Gabbert has beaten them with his arm and their recieving corps which is much better than I expected them to be with their losses. If the info is true that we go to a dime package, we are at least starting with the premise that our front four can contain their run with comptom pitching in on running plays and helping in the dink and dunk coverage with 5 dbacks. Makes sense.....if it works.

Depends on how much of their poor rushing game was due to having too few offensive blockers when teams crowded the box or whether the line was ineffective or the backs inept.

If it was the former, they may do better running the ball against a dime package. On the other hand if they are inept in their running game due to the OL or backs, then having more help with the recievers should really help with the dime.

I realize that we can have some blitz packages off the dime but I am a little concerned that we don't have 6 d backs that are sound and capable of knowing where to be and what to do since we don't play the dime often. We will obviously have to have d backs helping Will and the FF on running plays. Again it is not something that 6 dbacks have a lot of experienced having to do on our D. If Gabbert does some play action we may get torched big time.

I really think the weather may help us a whole lot in this one, but I do worry a little about the dime package as our main approach with good weather. I watched them play that Arkansas team a couple years ago in a bowl with an approach like that and Misery's little running back at the time looked like an All American.

I really thought our standard D was the way to go or at most a nickel package since Suh creates a mismatch and Mizzou hasn't been scoring that well against weaker teams. Maybe Bo figures they can't drive the ball the length of the field if we hold them to dink and dunk and allow them to make a few first downs rushing.

We'll see Thursday night GBR

It will be interesting to see how you all fair against MU running. If Will Compton was being honest, and you play a DIME, they're definitely going to try and get Washington the ball.

I worried a little when I heard this, because of that "secret plan" we had last year. That turned out to be rush 3 and drop 8, and they torched us..

On the other hand this is a new game, lots of different characters. It seems that most teams have crowded the line of scrimage and shut down Missouri's running game and Gabbert has beaten them with his arm and their recieving corps which is much better than I expected them to be with their losses. If the info is true that we go to a dime package, we are at least starting with the premise that our front four can contain their run with comptom pitching in on running plays and helping in the dink and dunk coverage with 5 dbacks. Makes sense.....if it works.

Depends on how much of their poor rushing game was due to having too few offensive blockers when teams crowded the box or whether the line was ineffective or the backs inept.

If it was the former, they may do better running the ball against a dime package. On the other hand if they are inept in their running game due to the OL or backs, then having more help with the recievers should really help with the dime.

I realize that we can have some blitz packages off the dime but I am a little concerned that we don't have 6 d backs that are sound and capable of knowing where to be and what to do since we don't play the dime often. We will obviously have to have d backs helping Will and the FF on running plays. Again it is not something that 6 dbacks have a lot of experienced having to do on our D. If Gabbert does some play action we may get torched big time.

I really think the weather may help us a whole lot in this one, but I do worry a little about the dime package as our main approach with good weather. I watched them play that Arkansas team a couple years ago in a bowl with an approach like that and Misery's little running back at the time looked like an All American.

I really thought our standard D was the way to go or at most a nickel package since Suh creates a mismatch and Mizzou hasn't been scoring that well against weaker teams. Maybe Bo figures they can't drive the ball the length of the field if we hold them to dink and dunk and allow them to make a few first downs rushing.

We'll see Thursday night GBR

Great insight.

Actually, if I were playing against my Tigers, I think I would definitely come out in a DIME... maybe a NICKEL.

I'll be honest. We haven't run the ball well, and you guys have shown to have a talented Dline this year. I'd like them try and stuff the middle. Then, hope your DBs -- who should be better in coverage, than your backs (obviously) -- stick with our talented receivers. If they catch anything. Hope the safety comes across and lays the wood.

That being said, most of our problems with running the ball has been teams stacking the box. Our oline has done a solid job of containing the other team's dline. It's mostly been backers and creeping safeties who have been stuffing us at the LOS. With you guys only with Compton out there, I'll be interested to see how you fare. Specifically, I'll be interested to see where your safeties will line up. Will they cheat in or will they play deep middle?

Great insight.

Actually, if I were playing against my Tigers, I think I would definitely come out in a DIME... maybe a NICKEL.

I'll be honest. We haven't run the ball well, and you guys have shown to have a talented Dline this year. I'd like them try and stuff the middle. Then, hope your DBs -- who should be better in coverage, than your backs (obviously) -- stick with our talented receivers. If they catch anything. Hope the safety comes across and lays the wood.

That being said, most of our problems with running the ball has been teams stacking the box. Our oline has done a solid job of containing the other team's dline. It's mostly been backers and creeping safeties who have been stuffing us at the LOS. With you guys only with Compton out there, I'll be interested to see how you fare. Specifically, I'll be interested to see where your safeties will line up. Will they cheat in or will they play deep middle?

Maybe Pinkel and Washington are playing possum with the running game. I get that your O Line is young, but they've all got game experience from last season, as I recall. Washington didn't suddenly gain 50lbs, so it's not like he should be slower. All signs point to a good rushing attack for Missouri but... it's not there. And that's against poor rushing defenses, too. Bowling Green is 106th. Illinois is 103rd. Nevada is your toughest opponent against the run at 52nd in the nation. Missouri had to run the ball a lot against these teams to get their yards.

Great insight.

Maybe Pinkel and Washington are playing possum with the running game. I get that your O Line is young, but they've all got game experience from last season, as I recall. Washington didn't suddenly gain 50lbs, so it's not like he should be slower. All signs point to a good rushing attack for Missouri but... it's not there. And that's against poor rushing defenses, too. Bowling Green is 106th. Illinois is 103rd. Nevada is your toughest opponent against the run at 52nd in the nation. Missouri had to run the ball a lot against these teams to get their yards.

A few reasons:

1. Teams have stacked us against the run, allowing us to really concentrate on passing the ball more. I really do think that has affected our overall numbers.

2. Our right tackle Dan Hoch was injured for a large portion of summer practice. He's immensly talented... 4 star recruit (previously committed to NU). However, that was critical practice time he missed. I think it's has hindered he and Gregory's (our RG) development as a duo. As a former linemen myself, knowing how the guy next to you plays/makes line calls/etc is huge. So, I think that's hindered us some.

3. We've swtiched to a zone blocking offense this year. Our splits are much smaller, too. So, instead of firing off the ball and trying to drive a guy backwards, you spend more time "dancing a guy down the line." It's hard to explain, unless you've played/avid fan. Regardless, its a great scheme for our athletic line, and it should benefit us greatly against teams with talented dlines...eventually... but in the meantime, our guys have had some struggles adjusting to it. They're coming along, but it is a big change.

Good point, question is how the DL does in stopping those runs.

If they have a repeat performance like they did against VaTech, MU's running game may be short-lived. Despite VT's opening drive, our D-line did a good job of stuffing their running game.

Great insight.

A few reasons:

1. Teams have stacked us against the run, allowing us to really concentrate on passing the ball more. I really do think that has affected our overall numbers.

2. Our right tackle Dan Hoch was injured for a large portion of summer practice. He's immensly talented... 4 star recruit (previously committed to NU). However, that was critical practice time he missed. I think it's has hindered he and Gregory's (our RG) development as a duo. As a former linemen myself, knowing how the guy next to you plays/makes line calls/etc is huge. So, I think that's hindered us some.

3. We've swtiched to a zone blocking offense this year. Our splits are much smaller, too. So, instead of firing off the ball and trying to drive a guy backwards, you spend more time "dancing a guy down the line." It's hard to explain, unless you've played/avid fan. Regardless, its a great scheme for our athletic line, and it should benefit us greatly against teams with talented dlines...eventually... but in the meantime, our guys have had some struggles adjusting to it. They're coming along, but it is a big change.

NU's D practices against that a lot already, won't be new to them. But regarding the running game, in the Nevada game it didn't seem like they stuffed the box as much as you indicate. Seems like the D-Line flushed out Gabbert quite a bit. Will be interesting to see how that develops. As for Billyball's concern about not using Dime a lot, maybe not this year as much but NU did use it a lot last season. It isn't a new package or anything, it is another part of their standard package. Lance Thorell has plenty of experience playing the Dime spot, did last year as well IIRC.

Good points all around. You're absolutely right. Your dline will need to bring quick pressure and your DBs will need to provide tight coverage off the line to eliminate the short routes. I know Suh has been an animal in batting down passes, but with a 6'5" Gabbert, I don't see that happening as much. He'll need to get in his kitchen, and do so fast.

My 2 cents is how is this not Gabbert's first big test? National TV against the Huskers... everybody was worried about Zac Lee and Blacksburg, but to me this is Gabbert's first big test to see what he can do against the best D he has seen thus far in the season... Don't get me wrong, I do think he is going to be a solid QB, but watching the Nevada game I saw a lot of mistakes and don't see him gaining much stride against NU.