The LJS Missouri Insider said......

So if Gabbert hangs 300 yards on the Huskers in the rain does this mean that he might be pretty good? I'm just asking because it sounds like you're all happy he transferred.

Whether he puts up 300 yards on us or not doesn't matter to the question of "Is he pretty good?" The guy has all the raw skills you would want to make a good QB, including size and (so far) poise. Nobody is in any way saying he's "bad."

What the Husker fans are pointing, and very rightly so, is that to this point Gabbert has played... nobody. His stats all came against very, very weak opponents vs. the pass. His highest rated opponent is 89th in the country vs. the pass. There is nothing about that fact that makes what he did in any way impressive.

Let's see him do this over the course of a season, or a career, before we anoint him good or bad. At this point he's just a lot of potential.

Im honestly glad that we didn't get him. Cause then we probably wouldn't have Cody Greene. Im really liking this kid. I think when Lee finishes his career here, Green will be an amazing QB

You won't have to wait that long.

I think you are underestimating Lee quite a bit. We have yet to see if Green has anywhere near the throwing touch of Lee. Has Green even attempted a pass beyond 10 yards in the air yet, the shovel pass to Rex doesn't count. I want to see if Green can drop the ball over the shoulder of the receiver along the sideline in a small box like Lee has shown several times. Green is a great runner and has decent poise, that is about all we really know at this point.

Im honestly glad that we didn't get him. Cause then we probably wouldn't have Cody Greene. Im really liking this kid. I think when Lee finishes his career here, Green will be an amazing QB

I think you are underestimating Lee quite a bit. We have yet to see if Green has anywhere near the throwing touch of Lee. Has Green even attempted a pass beyond 10 yards in the air yet, the shovel pass to Rex doesn't count. I want to see if Green can drop the ball over the shoulder of the receiver along the sideline in a small box like Lee has shown several times. Green is a great runner and has decent poise, that is about all we really know at this point.

Most recruiting analysts rated him as a pocket passer that has the ability to run. So far, his biggest plays have been running plays, but that's because he's come in during mop up duty and there is no use to air the ball out deep in those situations.

I don't think you guys should have any fear. A quarterback VERY rarely will make it through an entire season without having to sit out for a play or two after getting dinged up. I'm sure we will see Green in the game at some point after Lee takes a big hit.

Most recruiting analysts rated him as a pocket passer that has the ability to run. So far, his biggest plays have been running plays, but that's because he's come in during mop up duty and there is no use to air the ball out deep in those situations.

I don't think you guys should have any fear. A quarterback VERY rarely will make it through an entire season without having to sit out for a play or two after getting dinged up. I'm sure we will see Green in the game at some point after Lee takes a big hit.

I am not sure where you are getting this because Cody Green was clearly rated as a Dual Threat QB, #6 overall by Rivals, by everyone. The predominate feelings about Cody from what I remember was that he was a good thrower but that his motion needed ALOT of work and that he was an excellent runner. Prevalent feeling from the reviews I read was that he would need time to work on his motion and to get a throwing touch. You can find all of this in his recruiting thread on this board it you want, including several posters who posted videos and talked about why his throwing motion needed work. Everything I read points to there being a sizable gap between Lee and Green. I love this young man's potential. I love what he has done thus far, but to say he is going to challenge Lee for the starting job this year is crazy. I am not even sure he will be able to really unseat Lee next season either.

I am not sure where you are getting this because Cody Green was clearly rated as a Dual Threat QB, #6 overall by Rivals, by everyone.

I know he is rated a dual threat, officially.

I can't seem to find the old articles, even in the Green thread, but what I'm saying is I remember seeing a few articles from rivals when he was being recruited that said he was a very good pocket passer with the ability to run if need by. But, as I can't find it, can't really put the money where my mouth is. <_<

I am not sure where you are getting this because Cody Green was clearly rated as a Dual Threat QB, #6 overall by Rivals, by everyone.

I know he is rated a dual threat, officially.

I can't seem to find the old articles, even in the Green thread, but what I'm saying is I remember seeing a few articles from rivals when he was being recruited that said he was a very good pocket passer with the ability to run if need by. But, as I can't find it, can't really put the money where my mouth is. <_<

You two are both right. Green's arm was talked about quite a bit, and he was touted as a "good" passer, but officially he was always listed as a dual threat QB. I read the articles about Green's arm, and other articles about his wheels. There were a lot of articles. :)

So if Gabbert hangs 300 yards on the Huskers in the rain does this mean that he might be pretty good? I'm just asking because it sounds like you're all happy he transferred.

Whether he puts up 300 yards on us or not doesn't matter to the question of "Is he pretty good?" The guy has all the raw skills you would want to make a good QB, including size and (so far) poise. Nobody is in any way saying he's "bad."

What the Husker fans are pointing, and very rightly so, is that to this point Gabbert has played... nobody. His stats all came against very, very weak opponents vs. the pass. His highest rated opponent is 89th in the country vs. the pass. There is nothing about that fact that makes what he did in any way impressive.

Let's see him do this over the course of a season, or a career, before we anoint him good or bad. At this point he's just a lot of potential.

Not just that, but even if he becomes the second coming of Joe Montana it's still only for a few years. The big picture is, we have a solid coach and a solid coaching staff who, I believe, will be here for the long haul, save for the guys who move up to head coaching positions. We could not say that two years ago. The program is not about one guy, one game, one season, etc.

Not just that, but even if he becomes the second coming of Joe Montana it's still only for a few years. The big picture is, we have a solid coach and a solid coaching staff who, I believe, will be here for the long haul, save for the guys who move up to head coaching positions. We could not say that two years ago. The program is not about one guy, one game, one season, etc.

Nebraska's success in the mid 90's had a lot to do with the devotion the assistant coaches had to the program. Being able to keep a guy like McBride here for a very long time, and other guys like Gill and Coach Brown, helped us significantly in my eyes.

Nebraska's success in the mid 90's had a lot to do with the devotion the assistant coaches had to the program. Being able to keep a guy like McBride here for a very long time, and other guys like Gill and Coach Brown, helped us significantly in my eyes.

So you're saying we have to keep Carl around as long as possible? :)

So you're saying we have to keep Carl around as long as possible? :)

Got Carl?

gabbart didn't chose his competition and has been the most effecient of all big12 qb's against the preseason teams, IL was rated very highly but hasn't done much in fact. He has shown flashes of grtness and made bad decisions that led to sacks, wow what a shock for a newbie. He has ll the tools including being accurate off his back foot and is a force when he runs.

to be fair then you have to say lee has fattened up against eh weak sisters he played, looked notsogood against vt made poor decisions, especially in the red zone. Short arms the ball, accurate on the mid and short routes, average runner.

what does all this mean? after thursday night you will know who shines against better competition. you won't really know till after season against the tougher b12 D's.