Fear TT

robsker

Robsker, I think your warning is well-founded. This is not a cake-walk game. We need to play well on offense and we need to play solid assignment defense or we're going to find ourselves in a dog fight all game long.

This is a team completely built around the pass, even more than in recent years. They are sackable (13 in six games) and they turn it over a LOT (14 in six games).

Isn't this exactly what everyone said last year? To beat a team like TT, you have to control the clock and time of possession. If we keep the ball out of their explosive offense's hands, they can't score.

That's exactly what will happen. Neb will run, run, run until their defense is a bloody pulp.

We almost beat them last year on the road, and this team is much better than they were.

BTW...the line is up to -10

Thats why Suh is the leader in passes defensed.

I don't think so....

Bowl Subdivision (FBS) National Player Report

Passes Defended

Year: 2009 Thru: 10/10/09 Minimum Pct. of Games Played 75

Rank Player Pos Cl Gm Passes Broken Up Int Total Passes Defended PG

1 Perrish Cox, Oklahoma St. DB SR 4 9 0 9 2.25

2 Brandon Harris, Miami (FL) DB SO 5 10 1 11 2.20

3 Rahim Moore, UCLA DB SO 5 4 5 9 1.80

3 Brandon Brinkley, Houston DB SR 5 7 2 9 1.80

5 Donovan Warren, Michigan DB JR 6 7 3 10 1.67

6 Earl Thomas, Texas DB SO 5 4 4 8 1.60

6 Trevin Wade, Arizona DB SO 5 4 4 8 1.60

6 James Brindley, Utah St. DB SR 5 6 2 8 1.60

6 Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska DL SR 5 7 1 8 1.60

10 Tyler Sash, Iowa DB SO 6 4 5 9 1.50

#2 in passing offense vs #14 in passing D.

should be a good game.

I think he was referring to the fact that Suh is leading the team with 7 pass breakups. Not the nation

Suh leads the nation for defensive linemen. And he's the only non-Defensive Back in the top ten. Suh ranks sixth in the nation with 1.6 passes broken up per game.

And he's a Lineman. The next DL on the list is 98th in the nation. Suh is sixth. That's simply absurd.

The 3 best offensive players on the Tech team are:

#25 Baron Batch, RB (Sr.)

#10 Harrison Jeffers, RB (RS_Fr.)

#24 Eric Stephens, RB (Fr.)

Running back is the strength of our team. It just took Leach a couple games to come around to the idea of putting the ball in the hands of RBs as opposed to WRs. Remember that Tech considers short dump passes and screens to be running plays so pure running stats don't accurately describe the contribution of our RBs. Batch started the year slowly but is playing great now. Jeffers would be the starting RB for Texas or OU if this was 1999. Tech has never had a running back as fast, elusive, and explosive as Jeffers. Every time Jeffers touches the ball you will see Tech fans become giddy over what he might do with it. Finally, there is Eric Stephens. When you were kids, did any of you try to catch the greased pig at a rodeo? That's the best way to describe trying to tackle Eric Stephens in the open field. Over the next 2-3 years, Jeffers and Stephens will be a dynamic duo. Anyone who blows off Tech's running game knows little about the 2009 Red Raiders.

Anyone who blows off Tech's running game knows little about the 2009 Red Raiders.

Like the NCAA, who (apparently erroneously) ranks TT 114th in rushing with 78 yards per game? You guys had -6 yards rushing against Texas and 34 yards just two games ago vs. New Mexico. OK, I know all about the short pass as an extension of the run game, but that's still a pass. You have to set up your initial blocking scheme like a pass (meaning you can't fire forward off the ball), and the initial step of the defender is not wasted.

Tech will want to put in a lot of screen passes to keep Nebraska's defense honest with your RBs. If you fail to use your RBs in this game you're going to get your QB killed. We'll have to see how it goes.

Folks. Not much is here on the upcoming game. But.... I'd fear TT. They have a great offense (I'd guess substantially better than MU --- and much better than anyone we have faced thus far by a wide margin) and can score in droves. When you throw that often, all it takes is two or three times for a DB (out of 50 passes) to slip or to miss an assignment and its 14-21 points like that. So.... NU's offense will have to score.

I'll predict that it will take 28 points (or a few more) for the NU offense to keep us in the game. Sure, the NU D has looked good --- and are likely good --- but.... they have played weak competition (as compared to TT offense) and had weather help them. Do not be surprised to see TT score at or about 30 points on NU. If we run the ball well and control some clock that number will go down --- but the NU offense must have its best game of the season to win this one (they need not necessarily score as much as they did on some of the pre-conference patsies --- but they must play much better offense as the TT defense is not bad).

Can the NU offense rise to the occasion? they will have to. And the special teams better be top notch too. Otherwise, all the enthusiasm for what is happening at NU will turn south after this game.

I do think we can win. But to do so, NU better play much better than they have all season --- especially on offense, or it will be a long and dreadful game.

Rob, don't be so 'glass half empty,' man. We played VT in their house and only got beat by 1 point. The game at UM will hopefully be the worst weather we play in this year and I think it hurt NE more than it did UM. TT will give us a game but they are a lot like us, first year QB first year receivers. Oh, and our deffence is better than last year too. GBR

T_O_B

:bonez:cheers:bonez