Fear TT

robsker

We can all agree this could go either way. I'm in no way saying that Nebraska is guaranteed a win. I said that for sure last year we'd lose, so I have no problem being objective. But a loss to Houston and a mediocre performance against New Mexico have me feeling positive. Our D is much, much better than last year. Tech is always dangerous, but if we control TOP and play good defense, I think we win this.

Tech will lose - just like they do every time they run up against a team with even a decent defense. Leach's offense is a friggin' joke. Any self respecting football school would run him out of town on a rail.

28-empty-warehouse.jpg

The Texas Toast Football Experience Museum and Trophy Showcase

Folks. Not much is here on the upcoming game. But.... I'd fear TT. They have a great offense (I'd guess substantially better than MU --- and much better than anyone we have faced thus far by a wide margin) and can score in droves. When you throw that often, all it takes is two or three times for a DB (out of 50 passes) to slip or to miss an assignment and its 14-21 points like that. So.... NU's offense will have to score.

I'll predict that it will take 28 points (or a few more) for the NU offense to keep us in the game. Sure, the NU D has looked good --- and are likely good --- but.... they have played weak competition (as compared to TT offense) and had weather help them. Do not be surprised to see TT score at or about 30 points on NU. If we run the ball well and control some clock that number will go down --- but the NU offense must have its best game of the season to win this one (they need not necessarily score as much as they did on some of the pre-conference patsies --- but they must play much better offense as the TT defense is not bad).

Can the NU offense rise to the occasion? they will have to. And the special teams better be top notch too. Otherwise, all the enthusiasm for what is happening at NU will turn south after this game.

I do think we can win. But to do so, NU better play much better than they have all season --- especially on offense, or it will be a long and dreadful game.

Rob, don't be so 'glass half empty,' man. We played VT in their house and only got beat by 1 point. The game at UM will hopefully be the worst weather we play in this year and I think it hurt NE more than it did UM. TT will give us a game but they are a lot like us, first year QB first year receivers. Oh, and our deffence is better than last year too. GBR

T_O_B

:bonez:cheers:bonez

You noticed I am a glass half empty guy. Spot on. I am. Seems easier to expect little and then when something good happens it appears great and if something not so good happens it seems not that bad. Weak thinking, I know. But safe thinking!

I want NU to win badly against these South upstarts. I just am nervous.

Lee will be quite the key. We need him accurate and on. Of course the run will be key but he needs to pass well enough to set up the run... so to speak (keeping them from 8 in the box).

I agree we are the better team and I feel confident however the missouri game didn't seal the deal for me due to weather. Say what you will...it's hard to backpeddle in sloppy rain and I think that's why there were so many holding/blocking penalties on both sides. I would not be shocked if TT beats us by 14. I wouldn't be shocked if we win by 35 either. Our defense will be up to the task but we still don't know how good/bad tech's offense is. Who has shut them down yet?

Don't mistake it for pessimism. Just curious to see the results. Not a Florida atlantic curious but a missouri curious if that makes sense. I believe we are mentally stronger as well which as we saw thursday was a huge difference as missouri folded easily with a little pressure.

Really c'mon guy. You have a front four that dominates or shall I say Five with Suh!!!!

Look for Tech to try to have success running the ball early to open the short pass game up.

The problem is an inexperieced secondary against a pass heavy offense.

We CANNOT MAKE MENTAL MISTAKES ON DEFENSE!!!

If we get into a shootout then that's where we might have a problem.

But if we stick to the fundamentals and not have missed assignments AKA winning TD VT and Gabbert TD,

we will be more than OK!

I don't think though Bo will let any player be out of it mentally without a tounge lashing.

Our defense is better than Texas, and they have a tendancy to get into shootouts instead of playing

DEFENSE!!!

34-10 NU

:nanalama

Folks. Not much is here on the upcoming game. But.... I'd fear TT. They have a great offense (I'd guess substantially better than MU --- and much better than anyone we have faced thus far by a wide margin) and can score in droves. When you throw that often, all it takes is two or three times for a DB (out of 50 passes) to slip or to miss an assignment and its 14-21 points like that. So.... NU's offense will have to score.

I'll predict that it will take 28 points (or a few more) for the NU offense to keep us in the game. Sure, the NU D has looked good --- and are likely good --- but.... they have played weak competition (as compared to TT offense) and had weather help them. Do not be surprised to see TT score at or about 30 points on NU. If we run the ball well and control some clock that number will go down --- but the NU offense must have its best game of the season to win this one (they need not necessarily score as much as they did on some of the pre-conference patsies --- but they must play much better offense as the TT defense is not bad).

Can the NU offense rise to the occasion? they will have to. And the special teams better be top notch too. Otherwise, all the enthusiasm for what is happening at NU will turn south after this game.

I do think we can win. But to do so, NU better play much better than they have all season --- especially on offense, or it will be a long and dreadful game.

So you expect the Tech Offense, minus Crabtree and two NFL linemen, to be better than last season? You expect Tech to score more than 31 points in regulation against this Nebraska defense which is clearly better than a year ago?

You expect this Tech team, which is turning the football over in droves, to not turn the football over against a defense which has shown a propensity for creating turnovers?

You'll have to excuse me if I don't share your fear. Nebraska -7 is the lock of the year. I expect Nebraska to roll the Red Raiders.

Home Crowd

Momentum

Defense

Pass Rush

Suh

Sheffield making first road Start in Lincoln.

Turnovers

All of these factors will help dictate a snowball effect for the Huskers. Look for NU to roll.

Btw, Texas Tech's offense has been good against Rice, K-State and New Mexico. Those three teams are a combined 3-12.

Their offense has been "un-Tech Like" against the only two teams they've faced with a pulse.

Again, you'll have to pardon me if I refuse to "fear" Tech.

NU rolls, there is no doubt in my mind.

:restore

suh will get a chance to pull away with pass happy TT.

Suh will be glued in place wondering if he's about to get burned by yet another screen pass to Batch/Jeffers/Stephens for big yardage. We have tall QBs for a reason.

Jeffers didn't play a down against UT and Batch was not hitting the hole with his usual speed. It was a poor showing for our RBs. The next week at Houston, Jeffers and Batch were ramming the ball down Houston's throat before Leach inexplicably abandoned the run in favor of the pass in the 2nd half. (Unknown to everyone, Potts was still suffering the effects of a concusion from that hlmet-to-helmet hit with Sergio Kindle the previous week.) The loss against UH sucked but it taught some good lessons. Jeffers got more touches against New Mexico and scored 4 TDs (3 runs/1pass). Tech's OL is finally clicking and the run has become a force. You'll enjoy watching it. :)

Sorry friend. Suh hasn't been glued in place all year. We nearly beat you with a worse defense at your house last year . . . and your offense isn't as good this year as it was last year. I don't think Tech wins this one.

That said, we haven't played a truly high powered passing offense yet. It'll be interesting to see how our defense plays.

(also . . . did I hear correctly that your qb weighs 170lbs?! Suh and company will break him. :()

The 3 best offensive players on the Tech team are:

#25 Baron Batch, RB (Sr.)

#10 Harrison Jeffers, RB (RS_Fr.)

#24 Eric Stephens, RB (Fr.)

Running back is the strength of our team. It just took Leach a couple games to come around to the idea of putting the ball in the hands of RBs as opposed to WRs. Remember that Tech considers short dump passes and screens to be running plays so pure running stats don't accurately describe the contribution of our RBs. Batch started the year slowly but is playing great now. Jeffers would be the starting RB for Texas or OU if this was 1999. Tech has never had a running back as fast, elusive, and explosive as Jeffers. Every time Jeffers touches the ball you will see Tech fans become giddy over what he might do with it. Finally, there is Eric Stephens. When you were kids, did any of you try to catch the greased pig at a rodeo? That's the best way to describe trying to tackle Eric Stephens in the open field. Over the next 2-3 years, Jeffers and Stephens will be a dynamic duo. Anyone who blows off Tech's running game knows little about the 2009 Red Raiders.

You're right. NU sure couldn't handle "Thunder and Lightning" from Clemson last year. NU sure couldn't handle VT's vaunted duo. Sorry, TT's running game does not scare me. Your passing game does to some extent, but you will probably not beat us (with our DL!) running the ball.

Promise me one thing RaiderMan. If TT loses, come back here and take your lumps. Mizzou's trolls left a foul taste in our mouths. If TT wins, I'll be here admitting I was wrong.

Your talking about a 15th ranked team, on a roll, at home that just shut down a spread offense versus an unranked team with 4 wins against K State, New Mexico, Rice and North Dakota. North Dakota gave up 38 to Tech but gave up 65 to Stephen F Austin and 31 to Stony Brook. Rice gave up 55 to Tech, is 0-6 and gave up 63 to Navy. New Mexico is also 0-6, gave up 48 to Tech and has not held anyone below 37 except New Mexico State. K State..... nuff said after losing to Lousiana - Lafayette. Tech scored 28 in it's loss to Houston, a team that gave up 58 to a 2-4 UTEP team. All of this frenzy over the fact Tech scored 66 on a K State squad. Tech enters the game with a qb in his 2nd start facing probably the best defense in the Big 12. Tech is somewhat turnover prone also. The only thing that scares me is the ball bounces weird. Other than that this should be a pretty easy win.

Your talking about a 15th ranked team, on a roll, at home that just shut down a spread offense versus an unranked team with 4 wins against K State, New Mexico, Rice and North Dakota. North Dakota gave up 38 to Tech but gave up 65 to Stephen F Austin and 31 to Stony Brook. Rice gave up 55 to Tech, is 0-6 and gave up 63 to Navy. New Mexico is also 0-6, gave up 48 to Tech and has not held anyone below 37 except New Mexico State. K State..... nuff said after losing to Lousiana - Lafayette. Tech scored 28 in it's loss to Houston, a team that gave up 58 to a 2-4 UTEP team. All of this frenzy over the fact Tech scored 66 on a K State squad. Tech enters the game with a qb in his 2nd start facing probably the best defense in the Big 12. Tech is somewhat turnover prone also. The only thing that scares me is the ball bounces weird. Other than that this should be a pretty easy win.

I won't go as far to say it's an "easy" win but I believe they will take care of business as Bo will not let them take Tech lightly. Tech has beaten us the last few times we played them so motivation shouldn't be difficult especially after last years heartbreaker.