Fear TT

robsker

Folks. Not much is here on the upcoming game. But.... I'd fear TT. They have a great offense (I'd guess substantially better than MU --- and much better than anyone we have faced thus far by a wide margin) and can score in droves. When you throw that often, all it takes is two or three times for a DB (out of 50 passes) to slip or to miss an assignment and its 14-21 points like that. So.... NU's offense will have to score.

I'll predict that it will take 28 points (or a few more) for the NU offense to keep us in the game. Sure, the NU D has looked good --- and are likely good --- but.... they have played weak competition (as compared to TT offense) and had weather help them. Do not be surprised to see TT score at or about 30 points on NU. If we run the ball well and control some clock that number will go down --- but the NU offense must have its best game of the season to win this one (they need not necessarily score as much as they did on some of the pre-conference patsies --- but they must play much better offense as the TT defense is not bad).

Can the NU offense rise to the occasion? they will have to. And the special teams better be top notch too. Otherwise, all the enthusiasm for what is happening at NU will turn south after this game.

I do think we can win. But to do so, NU better play much better than they have all season --- especially on offense, or it will be a long and dreadful game.

We were talking about this game in class earlier today.. well w/ the kid next to me and honestly TT scares me more than OU... OU's oline is just bad.. however, Tech can drop back and get rid of the ball quick enough were we can't get pressure on the QB, no matter which one it is. I don't think we'll have to play much better than we have all season.. I think we'll need a game like we haven't had against better competition... The difference between mizzou's D and ULaLa's can't be THAT big that we can't do anything to being able to put up 55. The offense needs to be able to put up points because, as you said, TT will put up some. The D needs to buckle down and come away with a few turnovers.. I still think we pull away in this game though and then force tech to try n score and force them into more mistakes.

As we saw at Columbia, it only takes being Ndominated by the Suh-nami a few times before the opposing QB will be running in fear or limping in shame.

Not to mention TTech has a horrible capability for running the ball.

With a Neb D-line that is superior to the TTech O-line, their offensive scheme won't look as stellar.

My advice to Mike Leach,

Stock up on life vests; not for the next hurricane, but for his team- one that will be drowning in a Sea of Red and swimming in place to keep their heads above the inevitable Suh-nami.

Folks. Not much is here on the upcoming game. But.... I'd fear TT. They have a great offense (I'd guess substantially better than MU --- and much better than anyone we have faced thus far by a wide margin) and can score in droves. When you throw that often, all it takes is two or three times for a DB (out of 50 passes) to slip or to miss an assignment and its 14-21 points like that. So.... NU's offense will have to score.

I'll predict that it will take 28 points (or a few more) for the NU offense to keep us in the game. Sure, the NU D has looked good --- and are likely good --- but.... they have played weak competition (as compared to TT offense) and had weather help them. Do not be surprised to see TT score at or about 30 points on NU. If we run the ball well and control some clock that number will go down --- but the NU offense must have its best game of the season to win this one (they need not necessarily score as much as they did on some of the pre-conference patsies --- but they must play much better offense as the TT defense is not bad).

Can the NU offense rise to the occasion? they will have to. And the special teams better be top notch too. Otherwise, all the enthusiasm for what is happening at NU will turn south after this game.

I do think we can win. But to do so, NU better play much better than they have all season --- especially on offense, or it will be a long and dreadful game.

So you expect the Tech Offense, minus Crabtree and two NFL linemen, to be better than last season? You expect Tech to score more than 31 points in regulation against this Nebraska defense which is clearly better than a year ago?

You expect this Tech team, which is turning the football over in droves, to not turn the football over against a defense which has shown a propensity for creating turnovers?

You'll have to excuse me if I don't share your fear. Nebraska -7 is the lock of the year. I expect Nebraska to roll the Red Raiders.

Home Crowd

Momentum

Defense

Pass Rush

Suh

Sheffield making first road Start in Lincoln.

Turnovers

All of these factors will help dictate a snowball effect for the Huskers. Look for NU to roll.

Btw, Texas Tech's offense has been good against Rice, K-State and New Mexico. Those three teams are a combined 3-12.

Their offense has been "un-Tech Like" against the only two teams they've faced with a pulse.

Again, you'll have to pardon me if I refuse to "fear" Tech.

NU rolls, there is no doubt in my mind.

So you expect the Tech Offense, minus Crabtree and two NFL linemen, to be better than last season? You expect Tech to score more than 31 points in regulation against this Nebraska defense which is clearly better than a year ago?

You expect this Tech team, which is turning the football over in droves, to not turn the football over against a defense which has shown a propensity for creating turnovers?

You'll have to excuse me if I don't share your fear. Nebraska -7 is the lock of the year. I expect Nebraska to roll the Red Raiders.

Home Crowd

Momentum

Defense

Pass Rush

Suh

Turnovers

All of these factors will help dictate a snowball effect for the Huskers. Look for NU to roll.

Btw, Texas Tech's offense has been good against Rice, K-State and New Mexico. Those three teams are a combined 3-12.

Their offense has been "un-Tech Like" against the only two teams they've faced with a pulse.

I hope you are right. You do have some valid points.

But....

NU's defense, I surmise, is not as improved as much as many think. Perhaps it is... but until we play a good offense we'll not know.

Not so much you --- but others --- have cited that pressure on the QB will be applied by the NU DL. Maybe... but they have a quick release offense and getting pressure is very difficult. A key will be YAC --- we must tackle well... really well. Missed tackles will kill us. They will complete passes... we have to stop them cold once the pass is caught.

Turnovers, as you point out, may be key.

Again, I assert that the NU offense better be scoring this week. Is Lee going to get it done? Hope so.

King... I like your enthusiasm and you may be right.... but a healthy fear of TT is not a misplaced fear. We have not beat them since, when.....?

Home Crowd

Momentum

Defense

Pass Rush

Suh

Turnovers

I hope you are right. You do have some valid points.

But....

NU's defense, I surmise, is not as improved as much as many think. Perhaps it is... but until we play a good offense we'll not know.

Not so much you --- but others --- have cited that pressure on the QB will be applied by the NU DL. Maybe... but they have a quick release offense and getting pressure is very difficult. A key will be YAC --- we must tackle well... really well. Missed tackles will kill us. They will complete passes... we have to stop them cold once the pass is caught.

Turnovers, as you point out, may be key.

Again, I assert that the NU offense better be scoring this week. Is Lee going to get it done? Hope so.

King... I like your enthusiasm and you may be right.... but a healthy fear of TT is not a misplaced fear. We have not beat them since, when.....?

Since they throw so many times a game, you will have to think on their side someone will get open eventually.

If the Husker D line doesn't get to the QB, the passing lanes are often clogged. A QB c$%ks his arm back, hands go up. Thats why Suh is the leader in passes defensed.

As far as tackling, the Huskers were batting 1.000 against MU in this department. Receivers were stopped dead as soon as the ball was caught. If there was one on one, the defender held on until help could arrive. No one was trying to blow someone up (a form tackling nightmare)

I am confident in both aspects of the Husker Defense.

We were talking about this game in class earlier today.. well w/ the kid next to me and honestly TT scares me more than OU... OU's oline is just bad.. however, Tech can drop back and get rid of the ball quick enough were we can't get pressure on the QB, no matter which one it is. I don't think we'll have to play much better than we have all season.. I think we'll need a game like we haven't had against better competition... The difference between mizzou's D and ULaLa's can't be THAT big that we can't do anything to being able to put up 55. The offense needs to be able to put up points because, as you said, TT will put up some. The D needs to buckle down and come away with a few turnovers.. I still think we pull away in this game though and then force tech to try n score and force them into more mistakes.

When they drop back quickly and get rid of the ball, there isn't time for the deep ball pass. And their offensive line is not good... NOTHING compared to our defensive line. Watch for NU to shut down this "vaunted" pass offense. They haven't played anyone yet, except Texas (and Texas very well may be overrated). Don't freak out so much. Our defense IS IMPROVED and will be just fine. Pelini is the master of shutting down the spread and our Pass D is gaining more and more confidence every week.

Everybody was saying the same thing about Missouri. The front 4 pressured Gabbert all night long with no problem. I expect the same against Tech.

If NU contains the big play and forces some turnovers, Nebraska wins by 3 touchdowns. I believe that the offense will respond and the running game will be clicking on Saturday.

I like the momentum the Huskers have right now. Returning home from a road win is huge.

Its obvious the Huskers will get after it this week in practice. They have to perform better and execute on offense and special teams. They'll be focused all week to do that and be ready game day.

Look for a breakout return by the Huskers. They-are-due.

TTech's offense is all about quick decisions and flow. They do struggle more against teams that have the talent on defense to match them.

This talk about TT getting the ball out quick is nothing new. TT's offense is much like Mizzou's, maybe more potent but much of the same. A lot of screens and slants mixed in with an occasional hand off to the RB. I think one major thing going in our favor for this game, aside from the obvious (D-Line) is that our d backs are MUCH more talented this year compared to any year since 03'. With the emergence of Gomes and Dennard along with Prince, Hagg and Asante's picked up play we stand a much better chance with our one on one coverage on the slants. With our speed on the D-Line we can better defend the screens to the WR's than in recent years. Thursday, I saw at least five times where Prince, Gomes, Dennard or Asante jumped a slant and broke up the pass. Our improved athletisicm in the secondary will prove to be the major difference compared to last year.

Tackling and Turnovers...i think these two things, especially, will be more important than time of possession or sacks and such stats...we must get more possessions than them and tackle their WR's so there will be no big plays...

BTW, I am going to the game