Fear TT

robsker

Reading through most threads on the upcoming game, it seems that most people are pointing to the Tech O vs Neb D as the determining factor of the outcome.

I would venture to say it is the other side of the ball that will have the most impact on this game.

If the Tech D shows up at all and can jam the middle and protect the edges and force the game into Lee's hands, I believe this will be a very close game. Tech did well against UT and UH in the first half, but was unable to answer the halftime adjustments (and 1 magic PB&J) made by both teams. It is hard to compare these teams since neither has a running game at all. However Colby Witlock, Brian Duncan and Richard Jones are pretty stout (granted not the same caliber as Suh and Crick) and should cause some problems. If Neb runs to the weak side Tech WILL Bront Bird has speed and tackling issues.

If Burkhead is unable to go, I am not sure Helu will be able to handle the 30+ carries it will take to wear the Tech D down. If Neb is forced to throw the ball, look for Tech to be really close in the 4th Q. Then it is anyone's game.

All that being said, I don't think the Tech D is up to the task. Neb will control the ball and keep the score low (relative for a Tech game). I will have my prediction posted later in the week.

Helu carried the ball 28 times for 168 yards vs. Va. Tech. He will be a work horse if Watson, the OC, lets him. That is the question for going into this game, will NU force feed the running game. NU has one if they want to use it, that has been the issue lately to our consternation.

Reading through most threads on the upcoming game, it seems that most people are pointing to the Tech O vs Neb D as the determining factor of the outcome.

I would venture to say it is the other side of the ball that will have the most impact on this game.

If the Tech D shows up at all and can jam the middle and protect the edges and force the game into Lee's hands, I believe this will be a very close game. Tech did well against UT and UH in the first half, but was unable to answer the halftime adjustments (and 1 magic PB&J) made by both teams. It is hard to compare these teams since neither has a running game at all. However Colby Witlock, Brian Duncan and Richard Jones are pretty stout (granted not the same caliber as Suh and Crick) and should cause some problems. If Neb runs to the weak side Tech WILL Bront Bird has speed and tackling issues.

If Burkhead is unable to go, I am not sure Helu will be able to handle the 30+ carries it will take to wear the Tech D down. If Neb is forced to throw the ball, look for Tech to be really close in the 4th Q. Then it is anyone's game.

All that being said, I don't think the Tech D is up to the task. Neb will control the ball and keep the score low (relative for a Tech game). I will have my prediction posted later in the week.

Helu carried the ball 28 times for 168 yards vs. Va. Tech. He will be a work horse if Watson, the OC, lets him. That is the question for going into this game, will NU force feed the running game. NU has one if they want to use it, that has been the issue lately to our consternation.

And as I recall NU was unable to move the ball in the 4th Q. If you are unable to get 1st downs late in the game, Tech can still score quickly.

And as I recall NU was unable to move the ball in the 4th Q. If you are unable to get 1st downs late in the game, Tech can still score quickly.

NU had a 54 yard drive in the 4th QTR so I am not sure that NU COULDN'T move the ball. The point you are talking about was when NU got the ball on the VT 46, they had 4th and 1 at the 37 and Bo opted to punt instead of going for it. You are right, if NU can't run the clock out late in this game it will make it tough and give TT more chances just like VT got another one. However against MU with 5:24 to go in the game, NU reeled off a pure running drive that took 4:28 off the clock and went 68 yards for the TD sealing the game. Need to do this again vs. TT if given the chance at the end of the game.

NU had a 54 yard drive in the 4th QTR so I am not sure that NU COULDN'T move the ball. The point you are talking about was when NU got the ball on the VT 46, they had 4th and 1 at the 37 and Bo opted to punt instead of going for it. You are right, if NU can't run the clock out late in this game it will make it tough and give TT more chances just like VT got another one. However against MU with 5:24 to go in the game, NU reeled off a pure running drive that took 4:28 off the clock and went 68 yards for the TD sealing the game. Need to do this again vs. TT if given the chance at the end of the game.

Wasn't that a pretty good mix of Helu and Birkhead? If Birkhead is healthy and able to play, then my point is moot.

Wasn't that a pretty good mix of Helu and Birkhead? If Birkhead is healthy and able to play, then my point is moot.

Only other player to run the ball besides Helu vs. VT was Lee. Burkhead had a reception. He got a fair share of snaps, but Helu was and is the horse. Don't get me wrong, I love Rex and his loss does hurt but as Helu goes so goes the offense.

Only other player to run the ball besides Helu vs. VT was Lee. Burkhead had a reception. He got a fair share of snaps, but Helu was and is the horse. Don't get me wrong, I love Rex and his loss does hurt but as Helu goes so goes the offense.

Sorry, I meant to qualify that by saying the 4th Q drive in the MU game seemed like it was more running back by committee. Depth is what carries you through the 4th Q.

Sorry, I meant to qualify that by saying the 4th Q drive in the MU game seemed like it was more running back by committee. Depth is what carries you through the 4th Q.

You don't need to be worried about our RB depth. We have plenty of RBs to throw at you, all of whom can carry the rock very well.

I did not see a welcome to our two Raider fans.

Both seem to be quite the football fans. I must tell you that I have attended several TT games and I have enjoyed their fans. Can honestly say I never had more fun at a Bowl game, than the TT vs California game at the Holiday Bowl, made very welcome in my Nebraska gear.

I welcome you guys and hope for a very good game. Both of you bring sound information and opinions to the board.

Nebraska is my team, but Tech is my second team. Good luck to you guys and may it be a safe injury free game.

gimme a break.

not the old, tired, worthless argument of so and so beat so and so by X amount who beat whathisname who beat... blah blah blah.

those comparisons mean absolutely nothing.

the only matchup that means squat as regards TT and NU is the game this saturday.

Pretending each game exists in a vacuum is naive. Game to game things are not the same, but there are similarities. Finding those similarities and knowing how to examine them for possible strengths and weaknesses is what differentiates good coaches from bad coaches.

As fans, we should be cautious about drawing conclusions from these comparisons. But they can point us in a direction on how things could go.

games do not exist in a vacuum, I never said nor implied they did.

but the "degrees of separation" nonsense as applied to football games wilts in the light of reason.

especially to the extent of points scored and the like.

the only VALID comparison is done on the field,

the rest..

while entertaining, vacuum or not, has no significance.

You did imply games exist in a vacuum, twice now, whether you intended to or not. Unless in your very vague way of writing you're NOT saying that games played against other opponents are meaningless, which is what it sounds like when you say that "games do not exist in a vacuum." Perhaps you should better explain what you mean by that line.

let me quote myself then:

games do not exist in a vacuum

I not only never said the opposite, I specifically stated

games do not exist in a vacuum

I also never said that games against other opponents are meaningless, I said comparisons from those games are worthless.

and stand by that.

context is everything- I was specifically referring to the the degrees of separation argument. The waaaay too common practice of comparing who beat who, who beat someone else and by how many.

those comparisons are meaningless. :dumdum

let me quote myself again for effect:

the only matchup that means squat as regards TT and NU is the game this saturday

in other words- the only accurate comparison are those made on the field WHEN THEY PLAY.

get it?

the internet and message boards in particular can be great fun.

but most of our comments mean nothing. they are for our entertainment value only.

until the game is played and the final score known, we are all just spouting opinions.

You don't need to be worried about our RB depth. We have plenty of RBs to throw at you, all of whom can carry the rock very well.

Exactly.

The biggest hit from losing Burkhead won't be what he brought to the table in the rushing game, but how effectively he played pass pro. He did phenomenally for a guy of his age.

We won't miss a beat in the back field. Tim Beck is a great RB coach.

But as far as the meaning of previous games in context with the upcoming game, I get where that all fits in.

Thanks for clarifying what you do and don't get.

no you don't.

and you still don't get what I'm saying.

let's use real examples.

I'm saying that App st beating michigan in NO WAY infers that all the subsequent teams that beat APP st can beat michigan.

the degrees of separation argument.

many make those assumptions all the time including the poster I replied to.

to refresh your memory, here is the EXACT CONTEXT of my post:

Your talking about a 15th ranked team, on a roll, at home that just shut down a spread offense versus an unranked team with 4 wins against K State, New Mexico, Rice and North Dakota. North Dakota gave up 38 to Tech but gave up 65 to Stephen F Austin and 31 to Stony Brook. Rice gave up 55 to Tech, is 0-6 and gave up 63 to Navy. New Mexico is also 0-6, gave up 48 to Tech and has not held anyone below 37 except New Mexico State. K State..... nuff said after losing to Lousiana - Lafayette. Tech scored 28 in it's loss to Houston, a team that gave up 58 to a 2-4 UTEP team. All of this frenzy over the fact Tech scored 66 on a K State squad.

THESE COMPARISONS of who beat who and susequently beat/lost to so and so and by how much, are worthless.

get it now?

I hope so.