My missouri game experience sucked big time

CornBall

2 miles might be an overstatement, but i can guarentee its over 1 mile. I can meet you in lincoln next year and we can walk the route with a distance roller. :lol:

I might not be in 'playing shape' anymore but the day it takes me that long to walk a half mile from my car to the 50, i should just roll over and die

We'll have to do that. I'll bet we have a great time watching a game together.

2 miles might be an overstatement, but i can guarentee its over 1 mile. I can meet you in lincoln next year and we can walk the route with a distance roller. :lol:

I might not be in 'playing shape' anymore but the day it takes me that long to walk a half mile from my car to the 50, i should just roll over and die

We'll have to do that. I'll bet we have a great time watching a game together.

I agree. On that note, due to some financial issues and my buddies out of town wedding this weekend I was not able to spare the cash to make the trip to columbia last week. I fully plan on attending next years game in lincoln and would be happy to have a tailgate gathering while there. I know we are a year out, but I think we should make it happen. I might have to bring a tiger friend or two just so i dont feel too out of place in a miny tailgating 'sea of red', but I am making a save the date note as i type this. October 30th, 2010 in Lincoln. A chance to drink and be a smart azz in real life. I AM THERE!!

Not everyone had a bad experience: (in fact, I can guarantee that this is far more typical - just less loud)

-------------

Missouri Director of Athletics Mike Alden received this e-mail from Nebraska AD Tom Osborne this morning:

Dear Mike,

I thought you would like to see the e-mail below. It written to me by Linda Greene, the wife of Charlie Greene, who is a former Nebraska student-athlete and an Olympic gold and bronze medalist as a sprinter. Charlie has had some severe health problems and has trouble getting around and apparently received extraordinary hospitality during the Missouri game.

Please share it with any of the fans or press that you think would be appropriate. I personally did not witness any unruly behavior at the game and thought that everyone did the best they could in very difficult weather circumstances.

Good luck the rest of the way.

Best wishes,

Tom

Dear Coach Osborne:

We just returned from our trip to Columbia to watch the Huskers play Missouri... however, this e-mail is not about the game, but rather to share with you our experience with the Missouri fans.

As you know, Charlie has had some serious health issues but he really wanted to go...I on the other hand had some serious reservations since everyone told me about the awful Missouri fans and the way they treat Nebraska fans...so I was concerned. Charlie does not move as quick as he once did, and often requires a lot of patience and/or accommodations just to participate in activities he once took for granted...so I was concerned...and of course the weather made me think it would be even worse for us...but Coach, that was not the case. Every Missouri fan, event staffer and student reached out to help us that I almost cried. Even one young lady insisted we stay put, while she literally ran in the pouring rain to get a shuttle that would take Charlie and me to our car in a far away parking lot...as we boarded the shuttle, she wished us a safe trip and said "Go Huskers." This was just one of more than a dozen folks who helped during a difficult evening...I don't know how the "Legend" of the awful and rude Missouri fan got started, but I sure would like to put it to rest...no one knew who Charlie was, nor that he set records once upon a time at a Missouri track meet, but rather he was just a Nebraska fan, there to cheer on his team in spite of some serious mobility issues. It became clear they were all there to help...please pass this along to your counterpart at Missouri...clearly they are doing a good job.

With best wishes

Linda and Charlie Greene (Class of 1967)

Mexico Olympics 1968

---------

its always the bad ones that stick out, there is always more good that goes on then people realize

I think, despite all the cracking we all do on each other, that we all realize that the majority of every fan base is pretty cool. Like you say, it's the bad ones that stick out, and that goes for everyone. We've seen some pretty unsavory stories from our own members/Husker fans of behavior in Memorial Stadium. It happens. It sucks. You just hope it's the very vast minority doing it.

Christ what the hell they were nice to a blue hair. How can that be. Amazed they did not kick him to the street, ah no that might be the Nebraska fans.

Just kidding guys! I know that pulls your chains.

I love college football, period. The greatest people in the world supporting higher education, normally their home state and sometimes their home towns.

62 years around this place and 50 plus watching college football, never a problem where ever I went.

What was relayed to Coach Osborne is the way I have always been treated, and when we took my father or grandfather, saw the same type of actions anywhere we went.

MUTigerfan, I am glad that person had a great experience. That is how it should be. I wish I had a better experience to report, because I am sure the majority of your fan base isn't Busch League, just pretty much everyone I encountered at the game in 2005. What was interesting, was that we went to a micro-brewery the night before(can't recall the name) and were not harassed at all, people were pretty decent, but that all changed after the game. All fan bases have their bad fans, and I met quite a few of them that day.