JUCO S Ashley Palmer

look, once again, some ass-hole has read between the lines and taken advantage of the situation.....we need to take a hard look at our recruiting policies and NCAA standards as well and not get caught up in a discrepancy.....the bottom line is this, right or wrong, if Plamer really does not want to be here, then let him go....and stick it to UW anyway we can.....and we have to get a lot smarter (our recruiters and their though process and approach) so we don't keep getting burned by these last minuite "steals".....recruting has gotten to be pure chicken-sh#t, and we need to defend and rise above it and be smarter about how we do it! :steam

hunter

"I don’t know if that battle is over with yet, we’ll see,” Callahan said. “It will be an interesting scenario as it plays out, but we would certainly love to have him here at Nebraska and we’re doing everything possible to make him a part of this class.”

from scout (02/01/06) http://nebraska.scout.com/2/496018.html

p.s. you go cally

it has been said here before that young men change their minds all of the time. the reason is that they start questioning their commitment, wondering if it was the right decision. most of the time it comes from an outside influence (a family member, girlfriend, another recruiter, etc)

i learned this during my time as a recruiter for the military. we would spend alot of time "selling" the person on why he or she should join our particular branch of the service then once they commit and enlist we would then move on to the next one and not spend very much time with the person that just signed up. then on the day that they are supposed to go to basic training, we would wonder why he or she had changed their minds and didnt want to go.

we had to change our practices and start spending just as much time with them after they signed as we did before they decided to enlist.

so, where am i going with this? the coaches need to be involved with each recruit as much after they commit as they were before and keep selling them on the reasons why they decided NU was the right place for them. look we bring these kids into lincoln and make them feel like they are gods, get them to commit then anly talk to them on the phone for a short time because the coaches are so busy working on the next recruit. the coaches need to sell the parents just as much as the athlete because the parents have a lot of influence (freeman).

yes we only want them here if they want to be here. but at one time they committed to NU for a reason and we need to keep reassuring them that NU is the place to be.

hello, in my opinion ashley palmer is the most confused recruit I can even remember being recruit by NU, since he visited 4 schools - 2 of which he gave soft verbals to - ms & or, & then gave a solid verbal to NU, & signed a letter of intent, & then signed another to wa - who would round out as being the 4 school involved in his recruitment - all visits, & committments to all, & this is how his recruitment has rounded out - what a path of confusion that is going to go on for a while, now.

ashley = a very confused 20 year old

Personally, I don't blame palmer. He wanted to get involved in Spring football...and why not? He wouldn't have had that chance at NU.

Found it interesting that BC said that this wasn't the end of it. Wonder what he is up to. Does he think that there's a way to get Palmer back. Anyway, BC hasn't given up. But, I don't know the logic of trying to hang onto a player who doesn't want to be here.

Does he think that there's a way to get Palmer back. Anyway, BC hasn't given up. But, I don't know the logic of trying to hang onto a player who doesn't want to be here.

Yea, I agree. If he doesn't want to be here, he doesn't want to. Callahan knows that. He mentioned it last night. He said if recruits want to be a part of what's going on here, great. If not, don't be.

I am thinking he wants more information on how this was possible and what is the right course of action in a situation like this.

If the NCAA doesn't allow him to participate in spring ball, there would be no advantage for him to go to WU -- if truly spring practice is the reason for his change of heart. And if that is the reason, and he is not allowed to practice at either school this spring, you would have to look at the possibility of Palmer thinking N again. But if that is not the reason and he now feels WU is the better fit, then, yes, let him go.