The Secondary

I just wanted to see what everyone thoughts were on our secondary's ability to stop this high-flying, fun n' gun, spread 'em out offense of Texas Tech.

They load up 4 receivers out of the shotgun, the QB rolls out to buy time, the receivers get open, and they eat you up 10, 15, 20 yards a pop...that's their M.O....

So, unless you either A)chase the QB down with coverage sacks or B)stick to their receivers like flies on stink or C)play keep away by keeping their offense sidelined, you're in for a long day.

So many questions...Can this defense do it? Will Sheffield slip through the cracks when buying time? Or, are we fast enough? Do the corners play the WRs loose, or chuck them at the line to slow them down?

Tech's offense is one of the most rhythm dependant attack out there. The Red Raiders throws are short and the QB has to get a feel for which defenders are breaking on which routes. If the QB gets a true idea of what is going on out there, well, it will be a long day. To combat this, opponents need to posess the ball, avoid turnovers and three-and-outs, then limit Tech to one or two scoring drives. If the Huskers give the ball back on three and outs and turnovers, Tech will get extra posessions and eventually will find that rhythm.

I can't believe we are talking about this...

Our secondary has only allowed 1 TD through the air so far this season. Our D-line eats QB's for lunch when they are in the pocket.

The Texas Tech game is going to be featuring a QB who will try to pass and only met Suh, Crick, Allen, or Turner driving him into the ground or having him thow the ball away. Our secondary has been good on the coverage all year, and i expect no less during this home game.

Whoever is playing QB, is going to get sacked atleast 4 times during this game, and maybe a couple of interceptions.

BELIEVE IT!

I played college football, albeit the NAIA level, and I played for a school which ran the Spread offense. There are different variations of the Spread, and Tech's version is one of the most complex variations in college football.

There are two obvious ways to combat this attack:

1. Control the line of scrimmage and get to the QB by either disrupting his rythym or putting him on his back.

or

2. Secure tackling and keeping the receiver in front of you after he makes the catch.

Not to sound like captain obvious here, but the beauty of the Spread offense is it allows playmakers to make plays in open space. Tech's offense lives and dies on turning 5 to 7 yard receptions into 10 to 15 yard completions. If you disrupt the rythym and the timing, you can turn that scheme into a one-dimensional circus of errors, see the OU-Tech game from a year ago.

However, if you let the QB make easy throws, and you don't have athletes and sure tacklers in your back 7, then your toast, see K-State last week.

IMO, the Huskers match up well with Tech this season for a couple of reasons:

1. Our front four should be able to disrupt the timing to some extent. Allen and Turner need to have big games off the edge. The strength of the Tech offensive line is their interior. Crick and Suh will actually have their hands full, but, and this is a big but, Tech will also have their hands full. This will give Turner and Allen the opportunity to make some plays.

2. I believe the NU secondary has demonstrated an incredible knack for making tackles this season. NU has a lot of depth, athleticsm, and experience in that back 7. I don't see Tech or any team for that matter catching a slant and taking it 70 yards to paydirt against Nebraska. There is just too much speed and athleticsm in the Husker Secondary.

Tech WILL make some plays and gain some yardage. Their scheme is too good for this not to happen. However, they will not be able to drive the field with consistency.

Lastly, and this is a big deal. Don't underestimate the value of the K-State-Tech game for the Huskers. Any football team from Broken Bow High to the New York Giants can learn a LOT about their opposition after watching a blowout from the week before.

It's easy to find a team's weaknesses on film. Coaches know where they can exploit and opponent. However, it's sometimes difficult to know what an opponent does well. That game gives NU a template of how to defend Tech at it's very best. You can bet NU's defense has given their full attention to the Pelini's this week.

We're not talking about a pocket passer like a Blaine Gabbert. These guys roll out and buy a lot of time.

Which works to the advantage of the defensive line. Suh said before that he would like the secondary to give them more time to get to the QB. Even if they roll out of the pocket, our D-line is fast enough to get to the QB, and i wouldn't be surprised to see a few holding calls on the TTU O-line.

I actually don't think it has anything to do with the secondary. The ones who will make or break for this defense is the LB's. TT will run very short fast routes for a couple of reasons. The first is they don't want Suh and company smashing the QB. The second is they recognize that the LB's are the weak link on our D. They will try to get mismatches having our LB cover a WR. Our LB's are going to have to be physical and jam the receivers.

I actually don't think it has anything to do with the secondary. The ones who will make or break for this defense is the LB's. TT will run very short fast routes for a couple of reasons. The first is they don't want Suh and company smashing the QB. The second is they recognize that the LB's are the weak link on our D. They will try to get mismatches having our LB cover a WR. Our LB's are going to have to be physical and jam the receivers.

Sure but if we have a dime package in there'll be one LB out there. Probably Compton. The play of the defense is always executed as a unit, but against pass attacks like this in our nickel and dime packages, the secondary has a huge role in tackling well and being in position. Our D-line is going to have a hard time bringing the quarterback down. Pressure is about the most you can ask of them in a quick release timing offense.

I would add the aspect or the non-existent running game for TT. The comment about Tech using short routes and allowing the receivers to make plays is spot on. They have to run the ball every now and then or the DL is going to be able to box in the QB. When they do run the ball, if you hold them to no gain or perhaps a loss, it eats up an down. It also makes a 2nd and 14 a lot harder to get if keep people in front of you.

A great DL that puts this offense in 2nd and long is the answer to defeating Tech. This game is won defensively on 1st and 2nd down.

Our secondary has only allowed 1 TD through the air so far this season. Our D-line eats QB's for lunch when they are in the pocket.

The Texas Tech game is going to be featuring a QB who will try to pass and only met Suh, Crick, Allen, or Turner driving him into the ground or having him thow the ball away. Our secondary has been good on the coverage all year, and i expect no less during this home game.

Whoever is playing QB, is going to get sacked atleast 4 times during this game, and maybe a couple of interceptions.

:yeah