Lee's Running Ability

OK, the word is still out on how good Lee is. He has shown to throw well at times and not so good during other times. But Zac Taylor didn't look so great when he first played here. So I will give him the benefit of the doubt that this is his transition from the Juco ranks to major college football. I think his arm has a lot of upside potential.

But as far as his running ability, I'm not that surprise he hasn't shown much as of yet. If you look at his Juco statistics, he ran for a net of about 50 yards, if I recall. Lee does move around pretty well in the pocket to avoid being sack, but he doesn't run that great downfield. He may run as fast as many of the running backs. He may be faster straight away than Joe Ganz and Cody Green. Could it be a confidence issue or is he one that just doesn't run that fast with pads on?

Ganz had shown to be a better downfield runner, as has Green. Both seem quicker and shiftier, even if they don't have Lee's straight ahead speed. Some on this board before the season ever got started got all excited about his running ability because how he could keep up with most of the running backs. But I have for quite awhile been thinking to myself, "Not so fast!," based on his Juco history. Just an observation.

OK, the word is still out on how good Lee is. He has shown to throw well at times and not so good during other times. But Zac Taylor didn't look so great when he first played here. So I will give him the benefit of the doubt that this is his transition from the Juco ranks to major college football. I think his arm has a lot of upside potential.

But as far as his running ability, I'm not that surprise he hasn't shown much as of yet. If you look at his Juco statistics, he ran for a net of about 50 yards, if I recall. Lee does move around pretty well in the pocket to avoid being sack, but he doesn't run that great downfield. He may run as fast as many of the running backs. He may be faster straight away than Joe Ganz and Cody Green. Could it be a confidence issue or is he one that just doesn't run that fast with pads on?

Ganz had shown to be a better downfield runner, as has Green. Both seem quicker and shiftier, even if they don't have Lee's straight ahead speed. Some on this board before the season ever got started got all excited about his running ability because how he could keep up with most of the running backs. But I have for quite awhile been thinking to myself, "Not so fast!," based on his Juco history. Just an observation.

He seems more reluctant to make plays running from what I can tell. He really tries to extend the play looking for a receiver. I like that, but I think he is taking it too far. He had chances to extend several drives vs. MU if he would have taken off once his initial effort to extend the passing play didn't work.

I agree, havent seen much running success so far after 5 games. On the other hand, when no one is open or the pocket collapses too soon and Lee scrambles around a bit, it sometimes opens up the opportunity for a big play down field. Recievers that will improvise and find an open area after the play breaks down creates that possibility, as long as Lee doesnt take off to soon. Just from watching, this seems to be the reason. Lee isnt running often b/c he is looking to extend a play down field. I'm okay with that. He could tuck it and run for a first down a little more often than we've seen so far. But I do like the big play theory. :)

I was one that was really excited about Lee's mobility. He definitely hasnt used it or maybe just doesnt like to as stated previously by trying to get the homerun down field. I think as he settles in a little more we will see him make the decision to get the gauranteed 1st down and keep the chains moving rather than take a shot at a homerun and missing and forcing the team into a 3rd and long. Also this could be due to coaching, maybe the coaches want him to look downfield longer. So far it looks like Ganz was much better at realizing when nothing was down field and made sure he got downfield. I think the jury is still out, IMHO.

Do not doubt Lee has some serious wheels. But the guy is a complete pass first QB and would rather throw the ball every time he drops back. Daddy has pushed that through his head since he was little to keep his eyes downfield as long as he can to give his WRs a chance.

Yeah I like that about him, but at times I think he does the scramble drill too long. He had a play vs. MU where he ran over and back across the LOS looking to make a pass, had he just ran once he crossed he has a first down. I just want to see a little more of that is all, I prefer the pass first mentality but he just seems like he absolutely refuses to make a running play even when it is the best option. I know he can and that is what is frustrating.

Do not doubt Lee has some serious wheels. But the guy is a complete pass first QB and would rather throw the ball every time he drops back. Daddy has pushed that through his head since he was little to keep his eyes downfield as long as he can to give his WRs a chance.

Yeah I like that about him, but at times I think he does the scramble drill too long. He had a play vs. MU where he ran over and back across the LOS looking to make a pass, had he just ran once he crossed he has a first down. I just want to see a little more of that is all, I prefer the pass first mentality but he just seems like he absolutely refuses to make a running play even when it is the best option. I know he can and that is what is frustrating.

Agreed. I like a passing quarterback that doesn't ask a linebacker to take his head off. But there have been plays where Lee has to squint to find the next defender in front of him and still sits around with the ball. Sometimes taking the first down is the right play. But hey, he's a D1 QB, and I'm...well...not.

Following up on this, I don't care how many wheels he has -- it's strictly straight ahead speed with no cutting ability and no lateral quickness. And he has no running instinct. As I said, this shouldn't be a surprise. He didn't get much running the football in the Juco ranks. But I wouldn't have a problem with this if he had shown to be an effective thrower, which he hasn't shown half of the time this year.

But regardless whether he improves or not or losses his starting position, he will never be a dual-threat QB. He is a classic drop-back passer who hasn't proved he can get it done against tough competition.