Offense Ranting HERE

rkhufu7

Cody Green had about five passes that ought to have been picked today. I'm sticking with Watson and Lee - for now.

But our O-line is just AWFUL right now.

Totally. If we learned anything today, it's that Cody Green and Zac Lee BOTH come with obvious downsides. I think I'd take Lee's downside at the moment. Green needs to work sh#t out in practice this year, and in limited game time.

Green does not look off receivers. CG misses open receivers just like Lee, too. However, Green has much better pocket presence than Lee. He steps up nicely and has a cannon. He will be good next year, but I think starting him for the rest of the year would prove to be very very costly. More risk than reward here, IMO.

I am not saying Lee gives NU a tremendous chance to win just by being in the game, but I think he limits mistakes well. I think it would be a better idea to try and get tough with the run blocking and keep Lee in there as a game manager, than to switch to Green and continue to put pressure on the QB to open up the offense. Neither of these guys has the skills to change an opposing defense's game plan right now. Watson needs to stop conceding the run game to every defense that stacks the line. It just comes down to being nasty and making plays. Enough with the "take what the defense gives us" bullsh#t.

I agree with you that CG has his drawbacks but Lee isn't doing it for you, Since we aren't going to win a NC this year we might as well start playing the guy that has a better chance of getting us there next year.

as for the paul johnson talk, i think we need an offense is quick scoring and that can give us a legitimate chance to win if we are down two scores with only 5 min left.

Well, just keep using our fluffball offense and we'll continue to have lots of practice being down two or more scores with only 5 min left.

You can have both. Take a look at Florida or Alabama for examples. To really be good, you need to be able to score quick, and shove it down someones throat when you want to.

Watson... one tough loss is not going make him lose his job. C'mon, they sky is not falling, this is not panic mode, TT was ready to play and obviously NU was not, still half the season left to play. :bang:bang

one tough loss? how about va tech and the piss-poor offensive performance for three quarters against misery.

Fire the whole Offensive staff then, play all true freshman and the scout team, what the hell! Lets just pack it up lose the rest of the games and let Bo fire everyone and lets start this mess all over again! :sarcasm

one tough loss? that wasn't a tough loss we got routed b/c our sorry offense puts our defense is tough situations. i know you are just trying to be funny, but i'm for your firing the whole offensive staff, except maybe beck and ron brown. Speaking of Brown where the h*** have our TE's been?

premature firing of coaches started this whole mess...

watson looked like a messiah a short time ago.

gimme a break.

IMO-- ganz is harder to replace than folks thought.

This game boiled down to execution. Texas Tech executed on both sides of the ball and we did not.

Our Offensive Coordinator, for all his allegedly complex playcalling, was consistently outcoached by their DC. It seemed like they had a copy of our playbook. This is not the first time Watson's calls have been so obvious to opposing defenses, and I see no reason why it'll be the last.

Our Line was slow, weak, and ineffective. We got outplayed by a WIDE margin by a relatively unimpressive Tech D Line. Not a good day for the O Line. Not at all.

Helu is either hurt or was just overwhelmed by the ineptitude of our O Line.

Our WRs are a mess. Nobody is stepping up, nobody is making plays. They're not getting open, and when they have balls come their way, they drop them. It's a disaster.

Our TE is probably our best receiving threat. Good thing we hardly used him this game.

The most sad thing about this is, we're wasting Suh's SR year with this inept offense.

This game boiled down to execution. Texas Tech executed on both sides of the ball and we did not.

Our Offensive Coordinator, for all his allegedly complex playcalling, was consistently outcoached by their DC. It seemed like they had a copy of our playbook. This is not the first time Watson's calls have been so obvious to opposing defenses, and I see no reason why it'll be the last.

Our Line was slow, weak, and ineffective. We got outplayed by a WIDE margin by a relatively unimpressive Tech D Line. Not a good day for the O Line. Not at all.

Helu is either hurt or was just overwhelmed by the ineptitude of our O Line.

Our WRs are a mess. Nobody is stepping up, nobody is making plays. They're not getting open, and when they have balls come their way, they drop them. It's a disaster.

Our TE is probably our best receiving threat. Good thing we hardly used him this game.

The most sad thing about this is, we're wasting Suh's SR year with this inept offense.

Do you think it is more about what plays are being called or more about the execution of the team, knapplc? I kind of think it's both: a) Predictable plays and B ) just poor execution.

I agree about Suh. I know he wanted so badly to have this team go to extraordinary heights this year. It's too bad the offense can't help the defense out, which ends up making the defense look bad.

I thought our defense played as best as they could given the circumstances. You can't leave the defense to dry against an offense like TT's. Yeah, we had some busted plays, but 3 and outing on offense and not making plays offensively will end up transitioning over and hurting your defense.

Do you think it is more about what plays are being called or more about the execution of the team, knapplc? I kind of think it's both: a) Predictable plays and B ) just poor execution.

It is definitely both. There is a weak link on this team, and maybe more than one, but the most glaringly obvious one is the offensive line. They are simply not executing on pass or run blocking against opponents not in the Sun Belt. That is unacceptable.

The thing about Watson is that he may be very limited in his playcalling since it seems like we have no ability to execute blocking schemes no matter what we call. There is a breakdown on every series, usually more than one, which must limit what Wats can do. But even still, there has to be some way to scheme to your strengths while hiding your weaknesses. We're not able to do that, it seems, and we're very limited because of it.

We can get into the X's and O's but the bottom line is the offense just flat out stinks. I haven't taken the time, but it would be interesting to know what our stats look like against the 3 opponents that we have had. I would be willing to guess we are near last place in the FBS. I might just take the time to check that out...

The triple option beats VT!

Can TO design the offense and call the plays?

No really can the AD be a coach? Devaney did both!

Let TO be the offensive Coordinator.

Florida, GT, VT, Michigan, Tulsa, WV... All these teams run some type of option attack, from the gun and I-formation.