Offense Ranting HERE

rkhufu7

I've been a big supporter of Watson, but I just can't even begin to defend this recent disaster. (Did we really scrap all but two running plays or am I just seeing things?)

As for Paul Johnson, his jacked up option is just as susceptible to being shut down as this SpreadCoast sh#t is. And probably more so.

If I had my choice, it would be Gus Malzahn. He was the real architect of the Tulsa offense. But now that he has a nice cushy job at Auburn, there is no way he's coming to NU.

And whoever thinks that a guy like Jon Gruden will ever coach in college, let alone as a coordinator, is off their rocker! He is way to high profile to work under Bo. He's more likely to hire an unknown smo that none of us have ever heard of.

Hey, we had wide open receivers today? Really?

[/quote

Lee zero's into his primary receiver and misses anyone else opening up. But then again the receivers are so poor can you blame him? I saw Holt run INTO coverage. But yes. the commentators even stated that he missed a wide open man and threw it into coverage and Bo ripped him as he walked off the field.

Ok, took a hot shower, i think im ready to bash the NU offense.

First thing, Zac Lee probably will start the remainder of the season, but for god's sake son. When you have the open field to run the ball for the first down. YOU DO IT! When you have open recievers in the secondary, you need to check downfield and hit the open guys. If they don't catch it, then its on them and not on you.

Offensive line, my god you guys need to lay off the doughnuts and do some stadium steps, you can't get beat by a mediocre D-line, you need to give your QB time to throw the ball and make his reads properly. You have got to do a better job blocking when it comes to running the ball as well.

As for Watson, does he have like only 3 run plays in the playbook? the hand-off up the middle, the shovel pass, and the option to the outside? Jesus tap dancing christ.

Receivers? Man we have depth but it sure as hell doesnt mean we have talent at that spot, i saw consistently dropped passes by Paul, Holt, Gilleylen, Kinnie and Cooper. That is just unacceptable.

What we are seeing now is what we saw in 04 and most of 05 then again under keller in 07. Then Ganz took over and flew high, cuz he had 4 years under his belt. IT'S TOO DAMN COMPLICATED. simplify so they can play, not spend the time thinking . another, how many times did we go under center. Watson needs to realize that Coz is gone, and that 14-0 in the first does mean sling it all over. That drive to end the 3rd and start the fourth was a good drive. 8-9 minutes, but no points. That wouldve been text book to start the game. As far as a new offensive coordinator, it wont be in the middle of the season, but i do believe with the defense under control, Bo will definitely have a bigger hand in playcalling on offense, this is unnacceptable. Gain 5 then 7 on run plays, then a 2 yard gain, and the run game is scrapped. IT'S STUPID.

Cody Green had about five passes that ought to have been picked today. I'm sticking with Watson and Lee - for now.

But our O-line is just AWFUL right now.

Totally. If we learned anything today, it's that Cody Green and Zac Lee BOTH come with obvious downsides. I think I'd take Lee's downside at the moment. Green needs to work sh#t out in practice this year, and in limited game time.

Green does not look off receivers. CG misses open receivers just like Lee, too. However, Green has much better pocket presence than Lee. He steps up nicely and has a cannon. He will be good next year, but I think starting him for the rest of the year would prove to be very very costly. More risk than reward here, IMO.

I am not saying Lee gives NU a tremendous chance to win just by being in the game, but I think he limits mistakes well. I think it would be a better idea to try and get tough with the run blocking and keep Lee in there as a game manager, than to switch to Green and continue to put pressure on the QB to open up the offense. Neither of these guys has the skills to change an opposing defense's game plan right now. Watson needs to stop conceding the run game to every defense that stacks the line. It just comes down to being nasty and making plays. Enough with the "take what the defense gives us" bullsh#t.

AHHHHH! Why are we combining all these threads. I reread things and see my own posts and it's all too confusing. Like watson's playbook. I know there's a talent gap btwn recievers but that what tech does...pass the ball and they focus on recievers. I think we have offensive talent but refuse to use it. The zone read only works if you have a qb that can break a big play with his legs. That's green not lee.

Cody Green had about five passes that ought to have been picked today. I'm sticking with Watson and Lee - for now.

Totally. If we learned anything today, it's that Cody Green and Zac Lee BOTH come with obvious downsides. I think I'd take Lee's downside at the moment. Green needs to work sh#t out in practice this year, and in limited game time.

Green does not look off receivers. CG misses open receivers just like Lee, too. However, Green has much better pocket presence than Lee. He steps up nicely and has a cannon. He will be good next year, but I think starting him for the rest of the year would prove to be very very costly. More risk than reward here, IMO.

I am not saying Lee gives NU a tremendous chance to win just by being in the game, but I think he limits mistakes well. I think it would be a better idea to try and get tough with the run blocking and keep Lee in there as a game manager, than to switch to Green and continue to put pressure on the QB to open up the offense. Neither of these guys has the skills to change an opposing defense's game plan right now. Watson needs to stop conceding the run game to every defense that stacks the line. It just comes down to being nasty and making plays. Enough with the "take what the defense gives us" bullsh#t.

I agree with you that CG has his drawbacks but Lee isn't doing it for you, Since we aren't going to win a NC this year we might as well start playing the guy that has a better chance of getting us there next year.

as for the paul johnson talk, i think we need an offense is quick scoring and that can give us a legitimate chance to win if we are down two scores with only 5 min left.

I agree with you that CG has his drawbacks but Lee isn't doing it for you, Since we aren't going to win a NC this year we might as well start playing the guy that has a better chance of getting us there next year.

as for the paul johnson talk, i think we need an offense is quick scoring and that can give us a legitimate chance to win if we are down two scores with only 5 min left.

Well, just keep using our fluffball offense and we'll continue to have lots of practice being down two or more scores with only 5 min left.

Ok, took a hot shower, i think im ready to bash the NU offense.

First thing, Zac Lee probably will start the remainder of the season, but for god's sake son. When you have the open field to run the ball for the first down. YOU DO IT! When you have open recievers in the secondary, you need to check downfield and hit the open guys. If they don't catch it, then its on them and not on you.

Offensive line, my god you guys need to lay off the doughnuts and do some stadium steps, you can't get beat by a mediocre D-line, you need to give your QB time to throw the ball and make his reads properly. You have got to do a better job blocking when it comes to running the ball as well.

As for Watson, does he have like only 3 run plays in the playbook? the hand-off up the middle, the shovel pass, and the option to the outside? Jesus tap dancing christ.

Receivers? Man we have depth but it sure as hell doesnt mean we have talent at that spot, i saw consistently dropped passes by Paul, Holt, Gilleylen, Kinnie and Cooper. That is just unacceptable.

Everything I could have wanted to say, you just did. Awesome post.

Seriously, Zac Lee has all the physical tools to be a great quarterback, but what is up with his mental side of the ball? We had a 8+ minute 40 something yard drive that ended in a terribly overthrown shot to the end zone on fourth down. First off, how does it take 8 minutes to go 40 yards and second why did Lee throw the ball to a covered receiver deep in the corner?

Offensive line looked terrible when Zac Lee was in the game. Absolutely terrible. They couldn't block, defenders kept shedding blocks, and I saw on more than one occasion Helu getting the ball and then some of them taking a break as soon as Helu made first contact. You go till the damn whistle, and you don't just sit and watch as your RB takes a beating. The penalties are killing us too. We had at least 1-2 personal foul calls on the o-line and a couple of false starts. Unacceptable at home.

I'm not saying it's Green over Lee time, but he at least TRIED to bring some power to the offense. He definitely brought a spark to the game, but everybody else kept ruining it for him. He had one drive that had a dropped first down pass and a dropped TOUCHDOWN pass. You CANNOT drop those balls. You are getting a free college education just so you can catch a freaking ball. DO IT.

I don't think Watson's play calling is the issue here. It is execution. The line isn't blocking, receivers aren't getting open in time, Lee is making bad reads. This is just a badly executing offensive team right now. If everybody takes care of their responsibility, it's a successful play. We didn't do that today.

tl:dr:Zac Lee can't get it done against non-Sun Belt teams, the offensive line looked wretched for 80% of the game, receivers drop too many balls, and execution is a huge problem on offense. We can't keep leaving our defense out to dry and make them look bad. It's our offenses fault we lost today, not the defense.