Classic Husker 90's offense?

rkhufu7

The "old" offense was scrapped cuz Billber was too busy figgerin out what page in the bible of his the post pattern was on. The option was a "wrinkle" along with a bunch of other "wrinkles". I remember what Dick Vermeil said in a pregame for ABC once "they run the power, they run passes off the power, they run the counter, they run passes of the counter, and they run the option and passes off the option. Take those 6 plays, 30 different formations, talent and playcall timing and you have a simple but very effective offense" That's what it was and that's what we need.

Much better said. Welcome to the forum fellow "oldtimer". :)

It wouldn't work this year. Not with the linemen we have - love 'em to death, but the braces on their knees would buckle like on Forrest Gump very quickly if we asked them to do the things that Stai, Weigert, Graham, and Taylor did.

For the most part, we are a zone blocking team, although we do try some counter/ trap stuff that might net us 5 yards if Helu breaks a tackle.

It would take a year or two to become a dominant power run team, but as I've said in the past, all the other Big 12 defenses are becoming smaller and quicker to make plays in space. If Nebraska starts recruiting behemoths that can reach block like nobody's business, QB's that can move and throw it around a little, and Dan Alexander-type RB's, we would be accomplishing some very important goals:

Tire the opposing defense to take over in 4th quarter

Keep the potent opposing offense off the field

Run the clock

Win the game

Before Castille got the boot, we had a great combination with him, Green, and Legate, but that's just dreaming. We are a SpreadCoast team, and that's it.

I would like to honestly know from you the readers and posters of this board, would it work to go back to recruiting a QB who can run and pass like the likes of Frazier, Gill, Crouch and Frost? Put the option back in and run opponents to death each game so they are panting by the middle of the 3rd quarter?

I know everyone says you have to have a spread offense now and those old days of running the football don't work anymore, but why? This is what made NU different and great each and every year for decades. Yes, it faltered a bit under Solich but his worst season was still better than what we are looking like now or these past several years.

We are now a passing team with an inept offense that goes 3 and out for the majority of a game. Our QB runs, ducks and slides instead of knocking the crap out of the tacklers like others have done in the past. Please enlighten me here...

I would think we need to do something other then what were doing, but i'm still not convinced that we should go that route. We just simply need better play calling. I don't think an entire system change is needed but Watson not only needs to re-evaluate the QB situation but himself.

i dont know what say...

We either need to execute this offense much better if we are to achieve our goals as a team.

or...

We need another offense and wait a few more years for it to develop.

I think its safe to say, Watson's offense is dragging this team down. Too much?