How far we are from the elite of college football

CornBall

On a positive note, we do have an elite defense...I never thought we'd turn around the defense as much as we have so I give Pelini major props there...they kept saying on the telecast today that we have the best front 4 in the country...I like to hear stuff like that...it is good for the program. :)

On the other hand, I never thought our offense would be this awful. That being said, we need to turn things around on the offense. Looking for any signs of hope...Green will get better with the offense and hopefully play, Burkhead showed some good play before he was injured, Helu is great when he is not banged up, we got some guys coming up on the OL to hopefully look forward to, Robinson and Mendoza are looking alright for young players, we got good depth at TE, our WR's (well, I got nothing there). Anyway, we are far, far away from an elite offense but there is no reason why we can't build the offense back up and be consistently in the Top 25 with this brand of defense we are playing. I know some of you will say Top 25 is not good enough for NU...let's get there consistently first and then we can think about how we move back up to being where we belong. I thought this would be a year that we could plug along showing we are Top 25 but don't think that is happening this year...

Here is what I would do with our situation:

1) Build and maintain the defense because we have one of the top defensive minds in the game as our head coach (defense always will keep us in the game and draw the best defensive recruits)..sort of like Alabama of recent years...you knew they could play defense...offense wasn't the best. We should hands down be the best defense in the Big 12 and accept no less.

2) Build the O-Line (it starts up front).

3) Recruit and produce top RB's and always be able to run the ball.

4) Look for a leader and playmaker at QB.

5) Get WR's that are playmakers and can catch the ball.

There have to be some key offensive recruits that should want to play here because of the huge needs we have on offense. The defense will keep us in the game. You will have chance to play early on offense. Burkhead is the level of recruit that is major example of this. We need more of these types of recruits.

How about continue on the defense.. but build an offensive identity..

It is a hell of a lot easier to get recruits to buy into our program if we can clearly show our system and identity at work.. The West Coast needs to go.. We're not USC, we don't have the recruits or the coaching for that.. Bring back the running game.. when it is November and 20 degrees outside- throwing won't win you games.. pounding the rock will..

Watson and Cotton need to go. Ron Brown is a great TE coach and receivers coach... Look at the great work he did from 1987-2002.. Gilmore should be let loose and Brown should take over TE's and recievers....

We also need a full time recruiting coordinator instead of spreading the duty over the entire program.

Shawn Watson makes $375,000 a year as our OC + Winning Bonuses

Gill is currently making $263,000. per year at UB + Winning Bonuses

You're telling me there is no way we can't cough up enough money for Gill to take over as offensive coordinator and QB coach? Tennessee's Defensive Coordinator is paid $1.2 million...

We coughed up huge bucks to extend Bo's contract after last season and he is showing that he is somewhat of a one trick pony and is somewhat hands off in the offense department. Shawn Watson is not the future of Husker Football.

Our National Championships were never won with an attitude that was "we take what we are given."

We set the tempo and took whatever the hell we wanted. Last time I checked, champions aren't doughy pushovers- they play smash mouth football and run over defenses. :restore:restore

you guys do realize that a team with out its two best skill players managed to control the clock against our stellar defense in the fourth quarter. I do not know that our defense is as good as we think it is.

But we are not any farther away from elite now than we were at the start of th eyear. Just realizing what we really have.

But today is was something else. Just not something any team sees. Fumbles yes, but not when and where it would help Iowa State the most. I am trying to forget it as quickly as possible.

I suggest we all do.

The light from 'elite' will take several years to get the the place of mediocrity we are at.

In all honesty we are so far away, teams that have never been elite will spend years in that status before we ever(if we ever) get back. Look around college football, there is a reason somewhere why only Nebraska and Duke have yet to beat a team ranked in the top 19 in the last 8 years. We dont have playmakers on offense, and have never really had more than one at a time since the late 90s.

How far? So far that you can't get there from here.

Never say never. I think NU will be a top 5 team again, just maybe not as soon as we all thought. The talent at WR and QB simply isn't there. Apparently.

I never said never.

QB and receiver are just two positions where they are behind the right ball.

Everything else looks pretty darn kosher to me.

NU has one RB and he is a Glass Nancy like Murtha was. They need more than Helu x 4. Also some killer TE's and o-linemen that don't get beat by guys they should be blowing away.

The D looks good this year but they need to learn to be faster and hit with tremendous power. Oh, and they need to stop falling asleep and getting burned for the big plays.

Add those guys to the new QB's and WR and we have something to move forward with.

Maybe I should be recruiting coordinator and spell this out for the coaching staff as they are not getting these types of players.

:clap:clap:clap Shamwow...you make a most salient point regarding Florida! Bottom line is: we have a Bo Pelini defense and a Bill Calahan offense. We will obviously never get anywhere with a BC offense. I never really did understand the logic in keeping Watson and Cotton. It's time to get something new, and in the meantime, send Zac Lee's "prettyboy" act back to the fraternity house and start developing Cody Green. Nebraska needs to quit with this one or two year quarterback stuff and get someone in there, who by the time they are a junior, are performing at their peak because they thoroughly know the system and have improved incrementally by repeated game experience. With freshman Cody Green,we now have an opportunity to do just that. They burned his redshirt, now use him and develop his talents the next four years. Just my two cents along with the many other points of view.

has everyone forgot how good our offense was last year WITH THE RIGHT PLAYMAKERS ay the right positions? We were scoring 30+ points per game b/c we had 2 sure handed receivers and a qb that consistantly made plays with his feet and put the ball in the receivers hands IN FRONT OF THEM, not behind them, not above them, but in places where they didn't have to make major adjustments EVERY TIME.

Even on shorts dink and dunk routes Lee does a TERRIBLE job of putting the ball in an easily catchable places. You guys say not all of the interceptions were his fault, but the pass to McNeill was thrown so far behind him (McNeill is as sure-handed as they come) that he just barely gets one hand on it to pop it up. That's a terrible pass in my mind. And the throw to Cure was thrown above and slightly behind him. Yes he got both hands on it but I still say it's Zach's fault for not CONSISTENTLY putting the ball in an easily catchable spot (for our team that is, that last pick was as easy as they come)

I almost say we stick to running the ball and setting up some play-action passes all out of big sets, not this shotgun crap with one back. Don't you guys remember when SI or someone did a top OC in the country story and Watson was #6 and everyone was like I sure hope he doesn't leave blah blah blah.... don't you remember our offense last year with a real D1 QB and sure-handed receivers? We get those things fixed and everyone will be singing his praises but BECAUSE WE DONT HAVE THOSE RIGHT NOW, we need to adjust and stick with the skills we do have if we can ever figure that out...

By the end of the season we'll have losses to 4 or 5 QBs who started the year as backups. Our backup QBs can't even get on the field when the starter throws pick after pick. What does this say about our offense? Here's a hint, it's smelly and comes out of a bull's ass.

We are far, far, far from the elite of college football.

I think we need to dump the offensive coordinator Watson-he is a Callahan holdover!!