Bo Pelini: Zac Is Our QB

Does it really matter who's playing QB when a receiver catches the ball and runs 40 or 50 yards then gets hit below the knee for Christ's sake and begins bobbling the ball until it hits the carpet and is recovered by the D? Does it really matter who's playing QB when the ball hits the receiver right in the hands then the receiver bobbles it and it's picked off by the defense? Does it really matter who's playing QB when the ball is handed off to the running back and the running back runs 5 or so yards then gets hit laying the ball on the carpet for the defense to recover?

I know everyone wants a spark, but there was very little I saw Saturday that a different QB would have/could have changed.

Exactly. Of all the things that went wrong, Lee was the least of them this game.

This. Not defending Lee, because I think he made some bad decisions Saturday. But he got a ball to Paul, who fumbled it. Lee's fault?

He got the ball to McNeill, who couldn't hold onto it. Lee's fault?

Helu fumbled twice. Lee's fault?

DR fumbled within the ISU ten yard line. Lee's fault?

Let's get our heads aroud this.....on Saturday NU committed a season's worth of dumbshit moves in one game. Lee was not perfect but he did what was necessary to have NU win the game.

I most certainly blame the O staff for not having the offensive players ready. Fumbling the ball is the offensive version of a defender tackling poorly. Bo fixed that part, now Watson needs to get the offensive players focused and accountable or he needs to move on down the road and let Beck run the offense.

Rant off.

:boxosoap

My God people he did not get the fing ball to McNeil. That ball wasn't close enough to make a good play on it. He had to make a one handed catch.

Forgive the quality of the pics, but...

The pass to McNeil was just a little behind?

DSC_0999.jpg

And the pass to CG was just a little high? Dude is 2-3 feet in the air, arms almost fully extended.

DSC_1001.jpg

Thank you!

Those are great screen shots. I was watching the game again on Fox and on the long pass play it looked like Suh got body slammed by two or three ISU players I mean off his feet held! Could you look at that play?

It was a long angle, he looks like he might have been held, but he never hit the ground from what I saw.

What I did see was that Pierre Allen probably could have and should have hit Tiller on that play, but he turned to the sideline instead of going after Tiller.

Does it really matter who's playing QB when a receiver catches the ball and runs 40 or 50 yards then gets hit below the knee for Christ's sake and begins bobbling the ball until it hits the carpet and is recovered by the D? Does it really matter who's playing QB when the ball hits the receiver right in the hands then the receiver bobbles it and it's picked off by the defense? Does it really matter who's playing QB when the ball is handed off to the running back and the running back runs 5 or so yards then gets hit laying the ball on the carpet for the defense to recover?

I know everyone wants a spark, but there was very little I saw Saturday that a different QB would have/could have changed.

Exactly. Of all the things that went wrong, Lee was the least of them this game.

This. Not defending Lee, because I think he made some bad decisions Saturday. But he got a ball to Paul, who fumbled it. Lee's fault?

Let's get our heads aroud this.....on Saturday NU committed a season's worth of dumbshit moves in one game. Lee was not perfect but he did what was necessary to have NU win the game.

I most certainly blame the O staff for not having the offensive players ready. Fumbling the ball is the offensive version of a defender tackling poorly. Bo fixed that part, now Watson needs to get the offensive players focused and accountable or he needs to move on down the road and let Beck run the offense.

Rant off.

My God people he did not get the fing ball to McNeil. That ball wasn't close enough to make a good play on it. He had to make a one handed catch.

Like I said, I'm not defending Lee, but that ball was on McNeill's chest when the ISU player took it and ran. The ball was not perfect but Mc clearly had a shot at it so it was catchable.

And my main point was that Lee put the team in a position to win, the fumbles and turnovers, with one or two exceptions, cannot be laid at his feet. HE DID NOT FUMBLE THE BALL RUNNING DOWN A SIDELINE.

Rant off.

Like I said, I'm not defending Lee, but that ball was on McNeill's chest when the ISU player took it and ran. The ball was not perfect but Mc clearly had a shot at it so it was catchable.

And my main point was that Lee put the team in a position to win, the fumbles and turnovers, with one or two exceptions, cannot be laid at his feet. HE DID NOT FUMBLE THE BALL RUNNING DOWN A SIDELINE.

The ball was in his chest?

maybe you should check your eyesight.. it was thrown way behind him. IE look at the screen shots above your post.

Rant off.

Look at the freaking screenshot! Does that look catchable? Lee didn't let McNeill clear the MLB and his eyes led the MLB to make the tip. McNeill made an unreal effort to catch the ball and just couldn't pull it in. That is 100% on Lee IMO. The CG pick is 75% on Lee, 25% on CG. Yes it was high and behind, yes CG got 2 hands on it, but when players are struggling to catch the ball (as CG has since he stepped on campus) you have to make it easier for him. The only reason CG got 2 hands on it was he made a hell of an adjustment. It was a late throw by Lee.

I think we can all agree that Lee was not completely at fault in the Iowa State game. We had plenty of shots to get it in...we lost the ball 4 times down at like the 5 yard line. Having said that, Lee is not a good quarterback. I think what most of the "Lee haters" are looking at is he telegraphs passes worst than Keller did. He doesn't know how to step up into the pocket and he doesn't have that extra sense to feel the pressure. He is probably one of the worst passers when he is rolling out that I have ever seen. He does a quadruple pump fake that isn't a real pump fake that is only used to fool the defense and he does it when a guy is wide open...he takes way too much time to hit his guy. Plus you pump fake to make them think you are throwing in one direction and then you throw in another, not pump fake and still throw to the guy you have been looking at for 30 minutes. For someone who was hyped as so fast...he can't run worth a crap. He can't see the lanes and it takes him too long to pick where he is going. Our WR's suck...but Lee doesn't do them any favors with his throws. I have seen Josh Nesbitt throw more passes on target and he is an option QB.

This is all noticeable stuff from all of the big games he has played in. I don't give two craps about how many more plays he knows or how much better he is in practice or how well he grades out. It's hard not be graded well when all your completions are short little passes. He can't win the games so he needs to sit. Same goes for Paul and Holt...they keep making mistakes and not learning so they should sit.

Yeah the coaches know more about their team, but you know what, the smart fans can also see who can get the job done and who can't. I am not saying Green can get the job done, but we haven't seen what he can do when the game is on his shoulders...he hasn't started and his playing time he has gotten hasn't mattered for the game. Winners find a way to get it done and losers always whine about their best. Green might be a winner, but we won't know if you don't give him a shot. And this whole not getting a shot until they learn the offense and whatever else is retarded. An athlete who makes plays should always take precedence over a guy that knows the offense. Maybe Green might not make the best throws either or know as many plays, but what if he takes off and has a 40 yard TD run...I would say that is a playmaker who does what he has to do to win no matter what. Once again not saying that would happen, but it is a big what-if and a why not try it sort of deal. And don't use the Missouri game on me...that was more on the defense stepping up with 2 takeaways and good field position.

I cannot believe people that are backing Lee. There are people in a war right now fighting for you to continue to miss the point. It is leadership, IMO, plain and simple. Leadership is something Lee doesn't possess. I can't see many offensive players looking at him as their leader.

Our QB right now is the guy in Gladiator - NO, not Maximus - the guy that pisses down his own leg prior to entering the first arena. Everyone who has watched the first 7 games, knows he cannot get it done against a formidable foe. He cannot put confidence into the other ten guys starring back at him in the huddle. They know he can't run it and if he throws they are going to have to make the play themselves (and get decked by doing it), because the throw is rarely right on. THERE IS NO CONFIDENCE ANYWHERE ON OUR OFFENSE - and that confidence starts with a QB. LEADERSHIP 101.

I hope things get better. GBR!

I'm glad you came on board to write that. It is spot on. There is so much arguing about throws being on target or behind receivers, but what about the throws he could make that he is not even seeing? It's the little things. On the last or second to last drive he had a receiver dragging over the middle underneath coverage and Lee waited until the exact moment that he had to throw it past the only ISU player between he and the receiver. It was batted down. Anyone thinking straight would have either waited a split second, taken a step to the side, something! Yes, you can say, "that is only one play,'' but I use it as an example of a bigger problem.

I bet he does look good in practice. There is no downside to making one bad throw in practice. He is, unfortunately, one of those guys that doesn't need for it to be ''crunch time'' to tighten up. The aiming the throws and them ending up behind the receivers are evidence of that. Anybody have trouble speaking in public? Ever see someone who does, completely go speechless and stare into the distance silently for an extended amount of time or pass out? Hell, that's just talking and from prepared notes at that. The brain can pull some wild $&!^ on you. I contend the kid just can't get comfortable performing in front of a big crowd. Start Green. If he stinks, pull him, he'll understand. He'll have 10 months to get over it. Send Lee back in with him knowing the crowd won't be screaming for that guy who just stunk it up anymore. Maybe it will help him in the head. Just putting Green in for a couple series mid game isn't enough. Name Green the starter and see how everyone handles it. It could help both qb's. Lee may be better being the second teamer who just happens to play 90% of the time. What I am proposing isn't throwing up a white flag on the season. It is an experiment that has no downside. What, is Lee going to play worse?

About the eight turnovers not being Lee's fault. Well maybe he didn't cause the Paul fumble, but no one is playing with passion and Lee is the unit's leader. Would Ganz let this go on? Would anyone with any leadership let this go on without at least an attempt to rally the troops? No! This should have happened last week. Now it doesn't sound like it's gonna happen this week. I don't think it should happen against OU, so it may never happen. Big mistake!

From a completely objective point of view...

Lee didn't fumble on the first play from scrimmage.

The interception on the goal line was a take-away by the defense. Lee put the ball on the money.

Lee didn't poke the ball out of Paul's hands.

Lee was 20 yards away when Helu fumbled again.

Lee was 10 yards away when Robinson was stripped. (Nice of Keith Williams to get in Robinson's face though)

Lee was nowhere near Holt when he was stripped.

Lee hit Gilleylen in the hands....

Then Lee threw an interception.

If you blame that loss on Lee it's because you feel the need for a scapegoat.

I don't feel that its Lee's fault we lost to Iowa State, I don't think very many people are trying to say that either. But I dont think Lee really did a whole lot either (I realize the receivers deserve alot of the blame for that, along with IMO Watson's conservative playcalling).

That said I don't see how the offense could possibly be more unproductive under Green than it was under Lee, but maybe Green will provide our offense with a spark. Its a no risk & potential reward move to start Green

Given that our defense is dominant, the difference between scoring 7 points or 17 points could be the difference between a win or a loss. I realize we will still have offensive problems under Green, but maybe Green can get that extra touchdown or field goal out of the offense that we need to win a low scoring game

Edited by AngryHusker88

From a completely objective point of view...

Lee didn't fumble on the first play from scrimmage.

The interception on the goal line was a take-away by the defense. Lee put the ball on the money.

Lee didn't poke the ball out of Paul's hands.

Lee was 20 yards away when Helu fumbled again.

Lee was 10 yards away when Robinson was stripped. (Nice of Keith Williams to get in Robinson's face though)

Lee was nowhere near Holt when he was stripped.

Lee hit Gilleylen in the hands....

Then Lee threw an interception.

If you blame that loss on Lee it's because you feel the need for a scapegoat.

No Lee didn't lose the game by any means but he had picks and a fumble that luckily the ISU guy somehow failed to recover. He continues to make zero plays with his feet and runs a lousy zone read. Meanwhile with the game on the line he made lousy reads and throws. You can't say he was THE problem but he hasn't been a gamer and doesn't appear to be the answer. He needs to start backing-up the faith Bo and Shawn have shown in him.

Sure, Helu was probably more responsible for the loss than Lee was. Lee didn't play horribly, but he isn't a good quarterback. I don't know why people continue to try to convince themselves otherwise. Maybe because they have such hatred for the grass-is-greener mentality, that they err on the other side, sticking up for Lee despite him clearly not being a capable BCS conference QB.

Sure we moved the ball decently against Iowa State's mediocre defense. And sure, we would have won had we even held on to one of the five lost fumbles. But that doesn't somehow make Lee a good quarterback. Lee made 2-3 impressive plays the entire game. Other than that it was the Watson dink and dunk, throwing quick screens to the receivers or 10 yard hooks with no reads to the sidelines. So, out of Lee's 20 completions, probably 17 of them could have been made by just about any scholarship quarterback in the FBS.

Even with five lost fumbles, a confident playmaker at quarterback would have won us this game by two scores. Instead we get the super hesitant Lee, who makes you cringe with anxiety anytime he's forced to actually read a coverage and make a throw over the middle of the field. So he mostly sticks to quick, easy passes, although even those are often off-target to a certain degree.

I just think Bo needs to try something different. No one expects Green to be great, but if he can just be a more confident presence and play to the level of a decent FBS QB, this team can actually start winning games, even if it's ugly. If Bo doesn't owe it to the fans, he owes it to himself and mostly to his defense, who's playing their asses off and performing consistently like a top 15 defense, only to have their hearts ripped out because the offense is such a horrible mess.

Sure, Helu was probably more responsible for the loss than Lee was. Lee didn't play horribly, but he isn't a good quarterback. I don't know why people continue to try to convince themselves otherwise. Maybe because they have such hatred for the grass-is-greener mentality, that they err on the other side, sticking up for Lee despite him clearly not being a capable BCS conference QB.

Sure we moved the ball decently against Iowa State's mediocre defense. And sure, we would have won had we even held on to one of the five lost fumbles. But that doesn't somehow make Lee a good quarterback. Lee made 2-3 impressive plays the entire game. Other than that it was the Watson dink and dunk, throwing quick screens to the receivers or 10 yard hooks with no reads to the sidelines. So, out of Lee's 20 completions, probably 17 of them could have been made by just about any scholarship quarterback in the FBS.

Even with five lost fumbles, a confident playmaker at quarterback would have won us this game by two scores. Instead we get the super hesitant Lee, who makes you cringe with anxiety anytime he's forced to actually read a coverage and make a throw over the middle of the field. So he mostly sticks to quick, easy passes, although even those are often off-target to a certain degree.

I just think Bo needs to try something different. No one expects Green to be great, but if he can just be a more confident presence and play to the level of a decent FBS QB, this team can actually start winning games, even if it's ugly. If Bo doesn't owe it to the fans, he owes it to himself and mostly to his defense, who's playing their asses off and performing consistently like a top 15 defense, only to have their hearts ripped out because the offense is such a horrible mess.

I don't think I could have said it any better myself. Great post.