we have got to figure out way to get the offense going

What have we become when the statement is "our offense did what they needed for the defense to win the game"???

Dammit...that's the 3rd time tonight I threw up in my mouth.

Where else would you throw-up, cmb23, if not in your mouth? I was going to say the offense did what it needed to do to win the game, but the defense deserved credit. It was a battle of defensives, that's obvious, and our offense did better against their defense than their offense against our defense. It's a team effort. Remember when we would put up 30-40 points and still lose? That was because our defense did not do what if took to put our offense in a position to win. I think Cosgrove's exact words to Callahan was, "If you score 62 points, I guarantee a win." Our offense did what it had to, stellar? No. But we won.

Yeah, but it would be nice to see Watson call uncomplicated plays for our struggling and injury ridden offense. Running plays have been our forte when called, yet Watson rarely uses them?! Use and I formation and run, run, run!!

Uncomplicated? I don't know how much more scaled down an offense can get?!?! What was the stat they showed in the 3rd or 4th qtr on ABC. Of the last 16 plays....15 had been runs and 1 a pass....and we ran it following that on screen stat!!!

I would argue that tonight was Watson's best game. He did exactly what he had to do to put the defense in a position to win the game. That may sound facetious, but it is genuine. He called a conservative game with limited mistakes; we had enough ball possession and yards to win. Our real problem is our redzone offense we left probably 14 points on the field.

We definitely needed to be more conservative in this game. I loved that he called more running plays, but I question how they are running some of those plays. Our most successful running plays were right through the middle with holes created by the OL. The rest of the running plays seemed to "fancy" for lack of better words. Some of the blocking on certain running plays leave a defensive player unguarded or the defense shifts to the right and then the RB runs right into that coverage. Why? An RB going straight into coverage and gaining no yards happened more than once tonight. Stick with what works with some - smash mouth football created by holes right through the middle. It would be nice to mix in some play action passes and utilize the TE more. Using misdirection worked a couple of times. But to keep running the same types of plays over and over when they aren't resulting in any yardage, but not using the ones that do just baffles me.

Regardless, I am reeling over how amazing our defense worked as a unit and that the Huskers won! GBR!

Yeah, but it would be nice to see Watson call uncomplicated plays for our struggling and injury ridden offense. Running plays have been our forte when called, yet Watson rarely uses them?! Use and I formation and run, run, run!!

Uncomplicated? I don't know how much more scaled down an offense can get?!?! What was the stat they showed in the 3rd or 4th qtr on ABC. Of the last 16 plays....15 had been runs and 1 a pass....and we ran it following that on screen stat!!!

I would argue that tonight was Watson's best game. He did exactly what he had to do to put the defense in a position to win the game. That may sound facetious, but it is genuine. He called a conservative game with limited mistakes; we had enough ball possession and yards to win. Our real problem is our redzone offense we left probably 14 points on the field.

We definitely needed to be more conservative in this game. I loved that he called more running plays, but I question how they are running some of those plays. Our most successful running plays were right through the middle with holes created by the OL. The rest of the running plays seemed to "fancy" for lack of better words. Some of the blocking on certain running plays leave a defensive player unguarded or the defense shifts to the right and then the RB runs right into that coverage. Why? An RB going straight into coverage and gaining no yards happened more than once tonight. Stick with what works with some - smash mouth football created by holes right through the middle. It would be nice to mix in some play action passes and utilize the TE more. Using misdirection worked a couple of times. But to keep running the same types of plays over and over when they aren't resulting in any yardage, but not using the ones that do just baffles me.

Regardless, I am reeling over how amazing our defense worked as a unit and that the Huskers won! GBR!

I agree, I am a harsh critic of Wats and his play calling, I'm just not ready to dump him. I especially hate those shotgun draw options when Lee gets a yard and a half. But I do think tonight went as planned for him. I don't understand what we lost from this season, ISU and Baylor are not much better than those sun belt team we walloped.

I agree, I am a harsh critic of Wats and his play calling, I'm just not ready to dump him. I especially hate those shotgun draw options when Lee gets a yard and a half. But I do think tonight went as planned for him. I don't understand what we lost from this season, ISU and Baylor are not much better than those sun belt team we walloped.

Yeah, he's not the OC I want because I would obviously like to see the Huskers run smash mouth football - what was our signature offense and now a dying breed. But I don't know if now would be the time. I don't know who would replace him, and I think too much change too fast wouldn't be good for the program. I just would like to see him stick with the plays that work and continue to manage the clock. But with offense consistently getting three and outs, I just don't want them to wear down the defense. But if we can beat Oklahoma, then we should have been able to roll over ISU and Baylor. And we struggled against them. Heck, we should have rolled over Texas Tech too. But if our D continues to play this way and we can get even a small amount of momentum on offense, then we should win the rest of our games and see Texas in the Big 12 championship.

im curious about something. i seem to recall everyone clamoring for cody green and when he finally went in, we said we should leave him in for the rest of the season to get him experience. he was in for like what, the first quarter and then we went with lee? what happened?

Green looked confused, lost, and scared when he was in there.

im curious about something. i seem to recall everyone clamoring for cody green and when he finally went in, we said we should leave him in for the rest of the season to get him experience. he was in for like what, the first quarter and then we went with lee? what happened?

Green looked confused, lost, and scared when he was in there.

I thought that too, as much as everyone thinks he is the future, the kid still needs tremendous amount of work. Lee did just fine, and I also get the hint that the coaches are not confident at all with the offense, there was not 1 forward pass more than 5 yards, and when Lee did get back in a 3-5 step drop he was surrounded so fast by the D, this is the worst O line have have ever seen, and the O will never get going behind these guys.

We need to put a fullback in front of Helu and let him do his thing. If you look back at last night, Helu was productive out of the I-Form, but Shawn Watson wouldnt stick to it. I do not get why he doesnt get it.

I actually thought Watson did a good job sticking with the I-formation. There were a couple of drives there where he did the I-formation at least 2 of the 3 plays on that drive, and I believe there was one or two where he stuck with the I-formation the whole way through. Could be mistaken though.

This team needs to find some sort of passing game. We can sit here and say we really need them to stick with the run, but they did that last night and it really didn't net us a lot. Granted, OU has one of the elite front sevens in all of CFB, but it was still a tough site to watch. Even in the 90's we found ways to incorporate decent passing games. We need to find a way to do this immediately.

This may be Zac Lee's shot to keep the job. He looked comfortable from under center last night and despite one throw where he threw it out of bounds, he had a good game. And that ball he threw out of bounds was actually a smart call, because there was a defender underneath and above his target and there was nobody else even remotely opened.

Yeah, he's not the OC I want because I would obviously like to see the Huskers run smash mouth football - what was our signature offense and now a dying breed. But I don't know if now would be the time. I don't know who would replace him, and I think too much change too fast wouldn't be good for the program. I just would like to see him stick with the plays that work and continue to manage the clock. But with offense consistently getting three and outs, I just don't want them to wear down the defense. But if we can beat Oklahoma, then we should have been able to roll over ISU and Baylor. And we struggled against them. Heck, we should have rolled over Texas Tech too. But if our D continues to play this way and we can get even a small amount of momentum on offense, then we should win the rest of our games and see Texas in the Big 12 championship.

Oh and we did roll over ISU, but we kept having turnovers. We were driving consistently but couldn't capitalize.

Oklahoma's offense isn't exactly great either. They have some of the very same issues as us. Weak o line, young QB...

It was almost as if watson had decided what plays to run but forgot lee was in there on a couple of the zone reads and even the option. Lee cannot run the option!!! BUT, we all know why lee went in there and he did a good job of, and dont kill me for this, managing the game. Which is exactly what we needed considering how great our D was playing.

Anyone else think Henery being both punter and FG kicker will effect his range for FG's down the road? The dude is a stud.

not to dampen the mood from our win............

as we have seen the defense will keep us in any game.......... we have got to figure out a way to get some more points. I really think that a lot of this is just in our players heads now. I think going with lee is a good decision. the coaches need to get creative to get points on the board.

I thought we did ok. that was a tough OU D. Helu looked healthy (some what) and gouged them for yardage.

If some receivers step up this offense rolls.

Folks lets come to a realization...we are 9 games into the season. It's 3/4 the way over (god how does college football go so fast?!?!) The offense IS NOT going to 'get going' at this point. It's on the defense....or should I say....BLACKSHIRTS!

I disagree. The gameplan we brought into last night's game was clearly run the football in power sets and take some shots. I think this style can compliment this D well and OU's D is a whole lot better then the last 3 teams on the regular schedule. Next week at kansas I expect to see us put up some points if we stick to this philosophy. (assuming Roy is healthy)