Wats wrong with the option?

dergibog

Again, you weren't complaining last week. The defense called the perfect play to stop that play action. It happens. I am under the impression that no play in college football works 100% of the time.

Nobody is trying to say this team runs a great option. Wats and Lee moved the ball and played to win. No style points, but a W.

The victory kneel down works 99.9999%. BTW - didn't one team even screw that up?

I really don't think Green is any better suited to the option than Lee, he's a long strider, not a quick feet guy like Crouch, Frazier or even Lord. I honostly think Lee has quicker feet than Green, but once Green gets in the open he's probably a better runner.

If we want an option quarterback, it wouldn't shock me if Taylor Martinez was best suited for that role out of our current QB's.

I really don't think Green is any better suited to the option than Lee, he's a long strider, not a quick feet guy like Crouch, Frazier or even Lord. I honostly think Lee has quicker feet than Green, but once Green gets in the open he's probably a better runner.

If we want an option quarterback, it wouldn't shock me if Taylor Martinez was best suited for that role out of our current QB's.

Have to agree with you there. I don't see him as much of a running threat despite what everyone else thinks. Is he more of a threat than Lee, yes. But barely. At least he'd put his pads down instead of standing straight up so he can get lit up all the time. But hey, as long as he pops back up everyone thinks it's great.

I was a critic of the option, but now I agree: it sets up the option pass. And that's one reason why we'll run it some every game. We just got to get much, much better at it. I think we can. It's a new wrinkle so far. Zac is not slow by any stretch of the imagination and he's shown improvement. And FWIW I'm pretty sure this was a Tom Osborne suggestion. Wasn't it?

LOL... whats wrong with our option is ZACk Lee is no threat or Option to run the ball and take it to the house... That threat will open up the option play and option pass...

You cant run the option with payton manning or Tom Brady... You need guys that can run like Crouch , GREEN and good old Tommy.....

Exactly. You have to be worried about the guy with the ball and Lee is no running quarterback, regardless of what Watson wants us to think. Our line is less than effective also. It all adds up to disaster.

I dont think Vince Young was a 2 steps and gone guy either... But every one had to worry about him running.. I am also not saying Green is Young either I am just saying that more teams are going to worry about him turing it up the field and breaking off a big run then Lee....

Not Bashing on anyone just my thoughts..

you have a masterful grasp of the obvious. the hole in your logic is that the crappy option play sets up the option pass which is deadly.

Thanks noticing my masterful grasp of the obvious. Here's some more obvious observations. If the option results in zero yards or negative yards and teams can stop it with their front five or six, then the option pass won't work, because the defense doesn't respect the run.

As for the fullback, you don't have to run the fullback, he goes through the line, blocking the linebacker or dragging the linebacker into coverage for the almighty option pass.

I'm with some of the other replies. Quit running a play that doesn't work.

I dont think Vince Young was a 2 steps and gone guy either... But every one had to worry about him running.. I am also not saying Green is Young either I am just saying that more teams are going to worry about him turing it up the field and breaking off a big run then Lee....

Not Bashing on anyone just my thoughts..

Most of Young's runs came off broken pass plays, draws and zone reads, I think Cody would be decent at those, but he isn't in VY's league by any means.

I've seen a lot of options run in my day, but this team is so awkward that it doesn't even look like an option. From their positioning, half the time I don't know if they're running an option, because they look like they're running straight off the field to grab a Gatorade. Everything is so wrong about how it looks. Watch some old footage of Gill and Rozier for the "textbook option," and you'll see what I mean. It may set up an option pass, but it is sheer agony to witness the x # of lame attempts before the pass comes about.

:yeah

awkward is a very good word. Lee is improving when he finds a hole and cuts up the middle for three or four. Why would you put Lee in a position to have use his 4.8 speed to get around the corner? If Lee has to run, I want it North/South and not East/West.

There is nothing wrong with the option pass, and it's great when it is run successfully. Our o-line just continues to prove, however, that they can't consistently block well enough for any given play to work more than once.

There's your answer, and it's a pretty simple one.

Our o-line wasn't the problem on that option pass. I can recall 2 option pass this year and we are 1 or 2. I was watching Bo talk us through the KSU game last night. He said that the corner blitz that KSU called was the only play the we couldn't run the option pass against. He said it would have been open, but there was no one "available" to pick up the blitz. For once it wasn't the o-line's fault

There is nothing wrong with the option pass, and it's great when it is run successfully. Our o-line just continues to prove, however, that they can't consistently block well enough for any given play to work more than once.

There's your answer, and it's a pretty simple one.

Our o-line wasn't the problem on that option pass. I can recall 2 option pass this year and we are 1 or 2. I was watching Bo talk us through the KSU game last night. He said that the corner blitz that KSU called was the only play the we couldn't run the option pass against. He said it would have been open, but there was no one "available" to pick up the blitz. For once it wasn't the o-line's fault

I agree. Perfect Call and the Perfect Time by KSU.