Question?

1. We "live" in the top 15 I don't recall the number now but we were in the top 25 for so many hundred consecutive weeks until a few years ago. need to get back there.

2. we recruit very well on both sides of the ball and are at least 2 deep at all positions with kids who would start most everywhere else with #3 and #4 as freshman who will be future #1#2.

3. teams like KSU, MU, ISU, KU get tired of getting their asses kicked for 20 years in a row by 30 points or more. we start turning places like columbia, lawrence, manhattan and Ames into home games again.

4. we win the Big 12 North 2 out of 3 years and start winning Big 12 championship games 1 out of 3 times.

5. We challenge for the National Championship on average every 5-7 years or so.

then I think we are "back". that is the way it used to be. we would certainly not be perfect and win all the time, but we would be a dominant team.

right now I think we are making strides on defense to be "back". Offense now needs to be addressed and I think it will be. when the offense and defense perform at a consistently high level year in and year out, we will be "back" because all the criteraia above will be satisfied. we are getting close.

Yeah I think this nails it. Plus even in the 80's we were consistently in the top 10 at some point. We will be back when we are consistently highly ranked...that doesn't mean we will be at the NCG every year, but we will be in the talk. That is when we will be back, but we are making great progress.

Edit- Also we will be back when teams don't look forward to playing us...when our offense scares their defense because of how physical they are then I think that will also be part of it. When we, win or lose, make the other team tired and sore for a couple of weeks after they play us.

Being back is not losing to the cellar dweller in the Big 12.

We have beat absolutely no one this year.

If we lose to Colorado on Friday it will be worse than the BC era.

9 wins against absolute no ones does not mean squat.

Get a grip guys.

Look at what we have done, not what you think we have done.

Good record, losses to two middle of the road teams and the worst in the conference, which is the bottom of the BCS food chain.

Yea were back, bank on it.

Keep in mind that when Osbourn took over, they only played 11 games plus the Bowl. Now Teams get 12 games plus Conf Champ Game and Bowl Game.

I would say you could compare IF Bo is in the Top 10 at the end of every season.

I would say being back is when Bo does what Osbourn was doing. Finishing Top 10 and in the National Championship race each year.

PS: Osbourn came close in both 82 and 83

perfect-argentinian-big-ass-41.jpg

oh, sorry...that's my definition of HAVING back

Can you imagine trying to find any muscle tissue in that while giving her a full body massage?

Oh yeah..

back to the topic..

We' won't fully be back until we play Oklahoma on or the day after Thanksgiving EVERY year and be in the MNC game almost every year..

Offensively beating up teams would be a good simulation. :bang

Great topic. Like many others, I say consistancy. I think we need at least three years in the Top 10 to say we are back. Everyone have a nice Thanksgiving.

I think this top ten talk is a bit of a too lofty goal for two reasons. 1. we really have little control on the top ten. Yes, we win and we are in the top ten; however, one or two loses and we could be out or in still. it does not seem indicative of how good of a team we really are. 2. there is a lot more parity and a lot more teams going undefeated because of weak competition, look at this year. there will be a lot of teams deserving and undeserving in the top ten.

we need to focus of the quality of the team and i look to the Big XII and say focus on how we do in the Big XII, that is more indicative of our success, quality, and in many ways it is more meaningful.

i look to consistency, 9 win regular seasons, and top of the North with a good enough team to compete in the championship. that should be the focus because that should lead to BCS games, either at large or from winning the championship; and the polling issues will take care of itself.

i just think the polls are too subjective and too out of our hands. Okie St. is a good team, but not a top ten team even though they may get to go to the BCS without winning the Big XII. if we had a team as competitive as OK St. and was not in the top ten, i would be pretty content.

Look to winning the games we should win, being competitive in the others, strong home winning record, winning the North regularly, competing in the Big XII Championship, and doing it consistently. we will have down years, but we will also have those special years where everything lines up just right and we are in strong contention for the National Championship.

UT is a great team, but this year may not be their year because one team has not forgotten about '96.

Being back means that we are usually in the national championship conversation at the beginning of each year. (reloading/rebuilding years taken into account)

Being back means that we are always predicted to be a Top 10 team in the preseason.

Both of these things show that we're in the minds of the pundits, and to be in their minds, we have to be having success on the field.

In order to have those things listed above, we're going to have to get back to the 10+ win seasons, with the occasional 9 win season allowed for those years after all the starters graduate.

We had a lot of "glory years" before the mid 90's. We may have to go back to Devaney for the previous NC, but we were in the thick of the hunt and the NC conversation throughout the 70's, 80's, and 90's, regardless that we didn't win the big one. Just off the top of my head, I can think of being a field goal wide and a two point conversion shy of two titles during that time period.

Nebraska can "be back" and still slip up here and there. All great teams do. Look at Oklahoma this year.