Isn't nine wins significant at ALL

tmfr15

Remember when the minimum goal for a regular season was nine wins. There was a time in the history of this program...not that long ago, where this would be a week filled with nine win talk and what a disapointment it would be to finish with eight wins and how Texas is tough and if we lost to Colorado and fell to Texas we wouldn't meet the program standard.

Where is this talk now?

Nine wins represents a return to consistency and you have to return to consistency before there is much belief that you can take the program where we all want it to go.....ALL THE WAY

Remember when the minimum goal for a regular season was nine wins. There was a time in the history of this program...not that long ago, where this would be a week filled with nine win talk and what a disapointment it would be to finish with eight wins and how Texas is tough and if we lost to Colorado and fell to Texas we wouldn't meet the program standard.

Where is this talk now?

Nine wins represents a return to consistency and you have to return to consistency before there is much belief that you can take the program where we all want it to go.....ALL THE WAY

I say yes it is. That was TO's bench mark for years, he always had at least nine wins a season. If we beat CU (and I think we will) it is amazing that Bo will be able to start the streek back up. Two years ago, I don't think many thought Bo was going to be able to accomplish what he has and the season isn't over yet.

We have three chances to get there. Just wait, if we lose the next two, we will be talking about how the bowl game is for 9! Right now, there's no need to panic. Friday is our best shot though. I'm sure we won't get some "stiff" for a bowl opponent, and with our O, who knows.

Very true, but at least they'll have some time to work the issues out after the CCG.

Where is this talk now?

Who have the Huskers beaten this year that's any good? Nobody that's who. And don't tell me Oklahoma because they stink up the field. The Huskers have NOT beaten 1 Single team in the top 25. NOT 1. That is why 9 wins does not mean Jack.

Who have the Huskers beaten this year that's any good? Nobody that's who. And don't tell me Oklahoma because they stink up the field. The Huskers have NOT beaten 1 Single team in the top 25. NOT 1. That is why 9 wins does not mean Jack.

Missouri & Oklahoma were both #24 in AP at the time we beat them this year.

Furthermore, Nebraska failed to beat a ranked opponent in 2008.

Also bear in mind that those T.O. coached teams didn't play a bunch of ranked opponents back in the day either. OU & NU were consistently the ONLY teams ranked nationally from the Big 8 Conference.

Where is this talk now?

I would be quite happy. I think the frustrating thing for some people is that with a defense this good we really could have had something special with a little more offense. I'll be happy as long as we keep improving.

Also, as a side note, just think how bored Texas fans are this year. They haven't seen a good game (i.e. close score) all season! At least we've been entertained. :)

Where is this talk now?

We have eight wins now, same as last year. In order to progress, we must at least win that ninth game on Friday and then take care of the bowl game to get to a 10-4 mark overall. When we beat Missouri, on the road, that was a big win. When we beat Oklahoma, that was big because it helped erase the nightmare that was Iowa State. Be honest now, did you think we would beat OU? My point exactly. You make the point that we really haven't beaten anyone whose very good. True. But we've got to find ways to get wins over teams that we are capable of beating and do so on a consistent basis. Nine wins represents some return to the consistency we seek.

Where is this talk now?

Once again you spout off at the mouth without knowing what you are talking about. Both Missery and OU were in the top 25.

Where is this talk now?

Nice one, Debbie Downer. So while you get all worked up about how the wins this season don't mean anything, I'm going to be thankful that the Huskers are not losing just about every game like in 2004 or 2007. I've been enjoying every touchdown and every victory and not taking one single play for granted. That's the lesson I've learned over the last few years!

Where is this talk now?

Are you old enouph to have actually followed Husker football through the late 70's, 80's and the early 90's? If you are, then you should remember that the Husker God that is Dr. Tom was constantly accused of NEVER playing anyone by the Press. He was accused of NOT being able to win the "Big Game." They would say he always has nine wins a season because they only play patsies, Nebraska was accused of being a "Paper Tiger." When the Huskers did play highly ranked teams, usually it was a struggle and Dr. Tom lost a lot of them before 93-97. By your defenition the Huskers would have drove you CRAZY TO's first 20 yrs of coaching. Yet, he always had at least nine wins a season.

Where is this talk now?

Of course 9 wins is a great thing for a rebuilding football team. I am not sure when we began playing 12 games in the regular season and of course a Conference championship game was not in the Big 8 days so there was one or two less opportunities to win 9 games. 9 games if you play 11 regular season games, I think in the early TO and Devaney days they only played 10. Big difference in going 9-5 say and going 9-1. But still we'll take 9 wins anyway we can get em. :)

I also am not sure when we (and many other big programs) began paying 3 of four out of conference foes to come to our house rather than having a home and home with them. That too makes it difficult to compare.

At any rate this is far too early. We have to go to Boulder and beat Colorado. Then let's talk about how big a deal it is to win 10 games AFTER winning at CCG. Right now quite honestly we have not done that much other than earned the right with a 6-2 or a 5-3 conference record to represent the Big 12 North in the CCG. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, but comparison to the TO era seems overdone.

Where is this talk now?

Of course, 9 wins in an 12 game season is different than 9 wins in a 14 game season. Now, with 14 games common (if you play in a conference championship game) what was a significant 9 win season now requires 11 wins.