Announcers

NoDoubt

I had a huge problem with the announcers calling out Asante and making him out to be a dirty thug on national television. It was not intentional contact, he was looking back at the ball and it was too late for him to stop. Asante is not a dirty player/person. He's very physical and plays hard, let's remember what sport this is.

Having said that, the flag was warranted, I have no problem with that, but the announcer saying how he's a dirty player really upsets me.

They said absolutely nothing when towards the end of the game the CU player took a cheap shot and pushed one of our players down right in front of the refs way after the whistle (cant remember who).

Anyone else have a problem with this??

In all honesty, there have been questionable hits this year for him, and some where he even got the penalty for it. If you are a Nebraska fan, he is just playing hard, if your not a Nebraska fan you say it is playing dirty. So I am not surprised by their comments on this.

Since he was originally tagged as a dirty player by the game crew, every future announcer is going to want to have him tossed whenever he draws a flag. It is just like Pelini being branded "unstable" by the media. Now, every time there is a bad call the camera quickly pans down to Pelini so they can reinforce that image of him.

I have a HUGE problem with this. Ed Cunningham and Ron Franklin have no business calling Nebraska football games. All they do is bad-mouth Nebraska and the players/plays. Franklin especially. I didn't realize it until it was pointed out on P'Zone but clearly the man only says negative things. Ed Cunningham makes it a point to prognosticate on what plays will/should be run next but he is never right. He says something about how a flag should have been thrown or a play made a certain way, then backpedals and says the exact opposite 15 seconds later.

I had a huge problem with the announcers calling out Asante and making him out to be a dirty thug on national television. It was not intentional contact, he was looking back at the ball and it was too late for him to stop. Asante is not a dirty player/person. He's very physical and plays hard, let's remember what sport this is.

Having said that, the flag was warranted, I have no problem with that, but the announcer saying how he's a dirty player really upsets me.

They said absolutely nothing when towards the end of the game the CU player took a cheap shot and pushed one of our players down right in front of the refs way after the whistle (cant remember who).

Anyone else have a problem with this??

Yeah, I had a real problem with this considering I have seen worse and/or the same type of plays in other games by players. It doesn't make it right and that's why they get penalized, but expulsion, that is rediculous.

Oh yeah, that really bad late hit RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE FLIPPING REFS THAT WASN'T CALLED was on Barry Turner.

I thought he tried to pull up at the last second when I watched it, he was making the beeline and then he knew it was going to be late and he attempted to lighten the blow but it was too late.

i agree, had the WR caught that ball, his hit would have been legit and probably would have jarred the ball loose.

he was running full speed directly at the WR and the ball happened to be overthrown. there was no way for him to stop his momentum. it did appear that he pulled up and didn't really lower the boom on the WR. the flag was warranted, but it was not a dirty play by any means.

I think the announcers calling for him to be tossed is BS. They even over-dramatized the hit against the OU WR but......

He has had some stupid personal fouls. The one he took yesterday wasn't brutal but it was an easy flag to throw. I thought he got away with a very similar hit in the first half.

If an opposing team had done that to one of our players we'd want the flag. (and that goes for all of the personal fouls he's racked up lately).

What I saw was that he was running towards to WR and just didn't stop. I don't know if he slowed down at all, but it was definitely a penalty. He didn't do anything to show that he was going to hit the guy other than running through him.

Oh yeah he wasn't looking back towards the ball, he was focused on the receiver and hit him in a way that made things look worse than they actually were.

The issue is he is building a reputation for these types of penalty so of course it will be over hyped. When it became known that Michael Irvin pushed off to get separation before the catch it began to be called more. If someone gets called for a couple shot to the QB head anything close will be called. A friend of mine is an official and he often says when they review calls they also hear from the league offices the things that need to be watched out for. (Hopefully the holding calls will be address for NU) For instance if a player is targeted as a helmet leading tackler or a player that taunts his chances are higher to be flagged due to all eyes being on him than another offender of either rules.