Pistol offense?

Haha I like the way you think, and I totally agree--it is a fun offense to watch. And what I think is most amazing about it is GT has fully implemented it, heck, almost perfected it, in the 2 years they have ran it. Even last year, their first year running it, they looked very smooth running it. Of course that offense, like any offense, has its drawbacks (mainly when you are playing from behind by a signifigant margin), but I'm in agreement with you when you wonder what could have been--it is a dangerous offense, no doubt. That's another aspect I find attractive about the pistol--Chris Ault's inspiration for the offense was none other than our own Huskers running the option out of the shotgun. I can't remember if it was the '95 or '97 championship team (you'll find sources online that credit both, and it's been too long since I've seen either bowl to know which we actually ran it in more), but Ault wanted to add more of a power running punch to his team against the WAC's high powered passing attacks at the time.

Why not just start by finding some Nebraska boys, or anyone else that we can put upfront to get any kind of push, then we can worry about what we do in the backfield-- because right now, almost the entire line settles for a stalemate and as my old HS coach used to tell us, we need to scare people on the film, and we just arn't doing that and these guys have been here how long? Pull all scholarships, scout the State and find some fire for the front 5...

Here's what we may be running- and it could be the best idea watson has had all year. Wild Husker, baby. Burkhead, a former HS qb, taking snaps, keep and pound the gooey texas inside, or give to helu to find some space outside, or pull back and find a wide open McNeil, or niles paul behind the safety.

But, it probably won't happen. get used to three and outs.

Any offense can work with the right personel, but I don't think we have a quarterback or a coordinator that feels comfortable with letting any of our quarterbacks make plays. I would prefer an offense where we are very balanced. We can throw the ball for 200-300 yards if need be or we can run the ball for 200-300 a game if need be. I don't really care if we get those yards out of the pistol, spread, triple option, or WCO. As long as we move the ball and score points.

I want a simple offense... and I want to be good at it.

Changing philosophies and experimenting mid-season is a surefire way to become inept. You choose a philosophy... recruit players that fit that mold, and then you practice that offense until you don't even have to think about it anymore.

I don't know if this has been discussed before but what about the Pistol Offense for Nebraska? This year Nevada has had 3 1000 yard rushers (first time ever) and have done reasonably well in every year that it's been used (at least I think, haven't done the research but I think they haven't finished with a record under .500).

I'm just throwing this out there for something to discuss (though there really isn't a shortage of things this week).

A pistol offense with NO BULLETS !!! That's funny !! :rollin:rollin:rollin