Latest Heisman projections from StiffArmTrophy.com

Nexus

How is Suh not leading in votes? Isn't it the total points that gets you the hardware? I think people are reading the right column, where they have the projected outcome. Last time I checked 223 is more than 211.... :wacko:

They have some formula they use that accounts for the various regional influences. They assume that within a region the vote will be similar to the votes they've already received. So, they are likely assuming there Ingram will get more East/South votes and that Gerhardt will get more West votes as those areas have a higher concentration of Heisman votes. I'm still hoping they are wrong.

If I was SUH and made the trip to NY..I'd probably try to sit next to Colt and put him in a headlock while they were showing the highlights..Just for the cameras.

LOL, imagine the camera panning over the nominees and Suh's giving McCoy a noogie with a smile on his face.

noogie_1.gif

Laughing at that mental pic......

Seriously though, let's not get our hopes up too high for Suh, because they do point out on the site that most of the early vote is the regional people and people voting for the non-traditional candidates that are hoping they can sway the vote with the early results. They also mention that people who might be voting for questionable picks (McCoy, Tebow) will hold out to the bitter end in order to lesson the amount of flak that they'll take.

I'm praying for an upset, but according to the site's logic, he still would be a long shot to win it. Here's to hoping that this long shot comes in. :thumbs

I doubt very seriously Suh, or any O or D lineman, will ever win the Heisman. However, the mere fact that Suh is receiving serious consideration tells me he is quite possibly one of the best D lineman in the modern history of college football.

Ingram got a pretty big bump since the last projections. He went from a close third behind Suh to a clear #1. It just looks like so many of the voters will never get over the idea that the Heisman should go to the best QB or RB on a top five team. For them, it was a race between McCoy, Ingram and Tebow going into last week. Since McCoy and Tebow bombed, Ingram won by default. So they completely ignored the best performers of the 2009 season: Spiller, Suh, Moore and Gerhart.

The next projection at StiffArmTrophy will be in about an hour. If Suh hasn't closed that four-point gap significantly (and I don't expect he will), we'll have to just be happy that he finished third, and got invited.

Personally, if Suh beats out McCoy, he wins in my book...

It amazes me how Suh has more 1st place votes than anyone by far, yet is in third place. That just tells you there is some bias out there, either for pretty boy QB's, or against teams in the plains.

***UPDATE***

The owner of the site said he would likely be comfortable projecting the winner once 200 official votes had been tallied. As of this update, there have been 177 votes tallied, so these projections should be pretty close to accurate. Suh is now pretty much stuck at third place and it looks extremely likely he'll finish there.

Name (First-place Votes) Projected Points, Projected Percentage of Perfect

Mark Ingram (35) 1149, 41.4%

Toby Gerhart (40) 1141, 41.1%

Ndamukong Suh (57) 1023, 36.8%

Colt McCoy (24) 879, 31.6%

It looks likely that Suh will finish with the most first-place votes, but he isn't getting enough second-place votes to hang with the running backs. Ingram is getting a ton of second place votes and that's where he is winning. It's almost dead even between Ingram and Gerhart, so we may not be able to figure it out among those two until it's actually announced Saturday.

***UPDATE***

The owner of the site said he would likely be comfortable projecting the winner once 200 official votes had been tallied. As of this update, there have been 177 votes tallied, so these projections should be pretty close to accurate. Suh is now pretty much stuck at third place and it looks extremely likely he'll finish there.

Name (First-place Votes) Projected Points, Projected Percentage of Perfect

M Ingram (35) 1149, 41.4%

T Gerhart (40) 1141, 41.1%

N Suh (57) 1023, 36.8%

C McCoy (24) 879, 31.6%

As much as I wanted Suh to win, I'm still happy about this. 3rd place as an unexpected late favorite based off of one game speaks volumes. Hopefully he opened up doors for future linemen to be considered for the Heisman award.

The last time a D-lineman was invited to NY was Warren Sapp in '94. Hopefully they'll start paying closer attention in the future.

I think about 10% of the votes were turned in prior to Saturday. A lot of those had McCoy 1st. I wonder if they would have had more patient and waited until all the games had been played, would that have helped Suh come closer to 1st? Probably, but we'll never know. Ballots shouldn't be allowed until Sunday, and they should have until Wednesday instead of Monday.