Latest Heisman projections from StiffArmTrophy.com

Nexus

Now, a quick question: Who was the last pure defensive player to finish in the top three of the Heisman voting? By pure defensive player, I mean someone that only gets the ball in their hands from an interception or fumble recovery.

I would go with Hugh Green in 1980. I think he finished 2nd to George Rogers. Before that our own Rich Glover finished 3rd the year Johnny Rodgers won it.

didn't Sapp go in 94 or so? Although he may not of finished in the top three.

Now, a quick question: Who was the last pure defensive player to finish in the top three of the Heisman voting? By pure defensive player, I mean someone that only gets the ball in their hands from an interception or fumble recovery.

I would go with Hugh Green in 1980. I think he finished 2nd to George Rogers. Before that our own Rich Glover finished 3rd the year Johnny Rodgers won it.

didn't Sapp go in 94 or so? Although he may not of finished in the top three.

Yes, Sapp was a finalist and attended the ceremony in '94. But he finished 6th in the final ballot.

Suh is the 1st d-lineman since Sapp to attend the ceremony.

Thanks, I just read that in an article from a Iowa source.

He thinks it will be like last year, Suh will have the most first place votes, but lose to Ingram or Gerhart due to the second and third place votes.

I think the lack of 2nd/3rd place votes is indicative of the well known offensive bias. Those open minded enough for a DT to be on the ballot at all, recognize his dominance and more often than not vote him #1. Those who simply vote TD's and Yards are gonna put up the usual suspects and completely ignore the defensive guy.

As in all sports, any off the street half ass sports aficionado is going to be easily wowed by points. It's the more knowledgeable and nuanced sports fans that appreciate the defensive aspect of sports. Guess what I'm sayin' is the smart sport folks are gonna be the ones voting for Suh....seems we also have a lot of those of the "not so smart" variety as well.

lil off topic, but im re-watching the ACCCG on ESPNU, and man, Spiller got hosed. i can see why the clemson faithful have been up in arms. dude flat out flies.

oh yeah. I voted suh #1 on my ballot everyday for the last couple months on that webpage thingy. he should be a lock. quit yer worryin' ;)

Tebow is occupying Kellen Moore's seat. Ingram is occupying Spiller's.

Well, it's just me but I still don't see what is special about Ingram. Or any other candidate this year. Yeah they have had good years, but in the grand scheme of things nothing special. Suh had one of the most outstanding performances at his position, for decades. Give it to Ingram and watch some other RB next year do the exact same thing. Give it to Suh, and, you're not going to see a DT like him anytime soon.

You know what I don't get? Somebody may have mentioned this before.

I just listened to Todd McShay talk about his ballot on ESPN radio. He was asked to give his Heisman ballot from 5 to 1. He had McCoy listed at 4, and he said he did this because in the two biggest games he played against the best defenses in Oklahoma and Nebraska, his stats were mediocre and undeserving of the Heisman.

Fast forward to his number 3 spot, Suh. He said Suh is totally deserving, but in 3 losses he only had 1 1/2 sacks. Basically, he said Suh was undeserving because his whole body of work didn't amount to much in those losses.

How can he put one player below the other because he didn't perform well in his two biggest games, and not give Suh credit for playing his best ball against the best offense he faced? Seems totally contradictory. You can't hound one guy for not showing up in big time games yet not give another one credit for showing up in big times. I know we had losses and Texas didn't, but just think how many losses/wins we'd have if Suh wasn't anchoring our growing defense? I shudder at the thought.

***UPDATE***

I hate to get people's hopes up (including my own) but the latest update shows Suh gained on the two front-runners. McCoy is now certainly a lock for 4th (he pretty much was before).

Name (First-place Votes) Projected Points, Projected Percentage of Perfect

Mark Ingram (47) 1177, 42.4%

Toby Gerhart (50) 1133, 40.8%

Ndamukong Suh (71) 1096, 39.5%

Colt McCoy (32) 858, 30.9%

Suh was 4.4% behind Ingram in the previous projection (with 208 ballots counted). Now, with 226 votes in, Suh trails Ingram by 2.9%, while only trailing Gerhart by 1.3%.

I hate to get people's hopes up (including my own) but the latest update shows Suh gained on the two front-runners. McCoy is now certainly a lock for 4th (he pretty much was before).

Suh was 4.4% behind Ingram in the previous projection (with 208 ballots counted). Now, with 226 votes in, Suh trails Ingram by 2.9%, while only trailing Gerhart by 1.3%.

Here's to hoping.

But like I said, I'm happy with his invite. I never expected him to win it. But I certainly wouldn't object to him winning it. :)

***UPDATE***

Name (First-place Votes) Projected Points, Projected Percentage of Perfect

I would assume that's well within any margin of error for their methodology. It seems that any of the top 3 really have a good chance.