Watson's Big 12 Stats from 2000-2009

Bradr

Ouch. I have been one of those "give him another year, he didn't become a crappy O coordinator overnight" guys, but this is kinda eye-opening. I know the conference has had some good offenses recently, but wow.

I was actually going to put together some stats about Watson offenses until I started noticing his offenses he's coached really weren't that strong. Kinda makes me wonder. Having said that though, I am willing to give him one more year. This year we lost a lot of good players either to graduation or to injury. If after next year there is absolutely no improvement then I'll jump on the "Can Him!" bandwagon.

To your point about losing alot of players this year, why not give the new OC a fighting chance to have a decent transition with some "experienced" players...

That's kind of why I'm leaning that way. We lost Ganz, Slauson, Lucky, Glenn, Peterson, Swift just to name a few. That's a lot of experience offensively. I'm willing to give him another year to try and develop these guys. Remember, it wasn't until late in Zac Taylor's 1st year that he really started to grasp things then came out in his 2nd year and had what I would consider a good season.

Heartbeats4Huskers Posted Today, 12:03 PM

If we are talking about canning Watson, I would love to have Oregon's offense. What about Scott Frost?

Oooh. Thats a flavor of Kool Aide I could drink!

Sure, why the hell not! :koolaid2:

Make that two glasses. And put some sauce in mine.

Bottom line for me is you just can't have this kind of drop off at Nebraska. It got Frank Solich fired. Mike Leech called out his D coordinator and had him resign a while back. You just have to do it. Bo comes in and takes essentially the same kids that stunk in 07 made them respectable in 08 and dominant in 09.

I'm not so warm hearted as HuskerfaninOkieland. I think he needs to go after the end of this season. Hire a new and talented O.C. Preferably a snubbed former head coach or offensive minded genius.

I am going to be really angry, pissed off, dejected, if I have to sit through another season with a National Championship Caliber defense and an offense that plays like the last place offense in the MAC.

Charlie Weis?

I have thought that Watson was a good coach for a while and defended him, but some things are just unacceptable. I dont want to see another NC caliber defense just go to waste, while we are waiting for a "young" QB to grasp the system.

After seeing those stats i am quickly (very quickly) losing faith in Watson. Personally i dont want to have a top five offense every 10 years that is very complex and complicated.

Give me a simpler offense that college kids can pick up easy, and be consistently in the top 40. Then the year that you get an experienced QB from time to time you can elaborate on the playbook and do some more complicated things.

Wasting the best defense in the nation on this TERRIBLE offense just F'in Pisses me off..........ugh....FML

I'm not so warm hearted as HuskerfaninOkieland. I think he needs to go after the end of this season. Hire a new and talented O.C. Preferably a snubbed former head coach or offensive minded genius.

I am going to be really angry, pissed off, dejected, if I have to sit through another season with a National Championship Caliber defense and an offense that plays like the last place offense in the MAC.

Charlie Weis?

Ha ha! Charlie Frontbutt Weis heads back to the NFL if anything. Besides, if, IF we were going to take on a grossly obese former HC I would rather have Mangino. Weis is too much of a pu&&y. Mangino would eat him for lunch. Well, lunch and supper maybe.

These numbers are a little alarming especially while he was at Colorado but if you compare the 2008 and 2009 seasons, it does seem to lend some credence to the idea that attrition and injury really hurt this team offensively moreso than fans may have thought

These are National Rankings by the way coming straight off the NCAA's website. Feel free to check for accuracy

NCAA Stats

**I did some editing to add the in years Jay Norvell was here**

Colorado:

Total Offense: 66

Scoring Offense: 77

Total Offense: 20

Scoring Offense: 21

Total Offense: 58

Scoring Offense: 51

Total Offense: 66

Scoring Offense: 63

Total Offense: 85

Scoring Offense: 81

Total Offense: 87

Scoring Offense: 78

Nebraska:

2004 (Jay Norvell OC)

Total Offense: 69

Scoring Offense: 58

2005 (Jay Norvell OC)

Total Offense: 96

Scoring Offense: 67

2006 (Jay Norvell OC)

Total Offense: 14

Scoring Offense: 17

Total Offense: 9

Scoring Offense: 28

Total Offense: 12

Scoring Offense: 17

Total Offense: 102

Scoring Offense: 80

These don't look near as bad as the big 12 rankings in 07 and 08 we were top 15 in the nation. So at least give him one more year

I said it in other posts and I'll say it again: We need to establish an offensive system where graduation and injuries do not create total havoc with our offense. I've likened our current offense to a house of cards, where you take one or two cards out and the entire thing falls down. We can't have that type of offense here. We need something that is more "plug and play" from a player standpoint. There might be some dropoff until the new guy or guys get up to speed, but you don't end up writing off your entire offense for a season (or two) while getting people up to speed. While I love a power game, at this point I don't really give a hoot WHAT we come up with. Just come up with something that puts some points on the board and won't totally collapse if we lose one or two skill players.

Every program has down years, but going to "Division I cellar-dweller" isn't acceptable at this program. What is our accepted minimum performance level at Nebraska supposed to be? In my opinion, what happened this year indicates that the current staff lacks the foresight and the ability to mate an offense with their personnel. These coaches should be able to assess the skill level of the players that they have and tailor an offense that will generate some positive yards before the season starts. If you question how this can be done, I will use Bill Snyder as the prime example. I doubt that anyone on this forum would say that KSU's offensive personnel were better than ours. Those guys weren't even Division I sized athletes! How did "senile" old Bill manage to turn such a lackluster unit into a team that actually scored points practically overnight? I call that "coaching"--something we're desperately lacking.

Any nimrod can run an offense full of fully-trained athletes (until they all get injured or graduate). It takes a coach to keep that pipeline going year after year. I don't see that happening with our offense like I do with our defense.

From Omaha.com

Since 2000, Watson has been an offensive coordinator nine seasons in the Big 12.

At Colorado (2000 to ’05), and at Nebraska (2007 to ’09).

His standing in the Big 12 offensive rankings:

• year: total offense, scoring offense

• ’00: 8th, 10th

• ’01: 2nd, 4th

• ’02: 9th, 9th

• ’03: 9th, 8th

• ’04: 9th, 9th

• ’05: 8th, 9th

• ’07: 5th, 8th

• ’08: 6th, 6th

• ’09: 11th, 8th

and...

Against three top-20 foes in 2009, Nebraska’s offense scored one total touchdown — on a 1-yard drive on Oklahoma set up by an interception.

I vote..... Can him! He's too preppy to be a football coach. Some may scoff at this, but Barney Cotton's offense was better than this. Yes, I realize he sucks too.

Just imagine where our Offense might be if we had got rid of him with the rest of the Cal@#$%n era. I have never been outspoken about whether we should keep him or not, but I have heard a lot of good reasons why he should go and I think I'm really starting to lean that way. That was a really piss poor game plan Saturday night. I don't know who's call it was to stick Green in on the 1 yard line and then not give him another chance, but that was just idiotic. I mean really, wether you like the idea of Green playing or not, it would have been absolutly impossible for him to do any worse then Lee.