Tyler Gabbert withdraws commitment

:facepalm:

I don't have the exact numbers, so I'll put it this way.

We have X number of defensive players returning on scholarship.

We have X + 15 number of offensive players returning on scholarship. (Or so)

Therefore, we need to recruit more defensive players than offensive players so the roster remains balanced. It's true that we need offensive playmakers. But coaches know what they are doing when they recruit so many guys on D. Gabbert and CC need to be replaced by a QB and WR though. IMO.

How is the favor tilted to the O? I get that our defense is good and helping out of offense but not recruiting any offensive skill players makes no sense. With our pathetic offense we need play-makers coming in here to help up the production. Our defense can't carry us to the Big 12 Championship game every year.

IT IS SAD THAT THIS STAFF EVEN RECRUITED GABBERT. HE COMES FROM BAD BLOOD. HE PLAYED US BIG TIME. Cody Green will start for the next 3 years. Seriously, he is a close version of Vince Young. Once we get through next years spring game and fall practice, it will be all good. He is the closest we have had to TF, Tommy Frazier, since Turner Gil. If recruits can't see the potential of NU, we will just move on. No big deal. Our core is there and we will compete for a National Championship soon. We only lost one game by more than one touchdown.

THINK ABOUT IT!!!!! We are a one lose team in reality coming off the Calahan era!!! The Calahan era!!!!

Child, Please!!!!!!!!

We are fine. NU under Polini will dominate soon!!!!

Schuhbdoo

:facepalm:

I don't have the exact numbers, so I'll put it this way.

We have X number of defensive players returning on scholarship.

We have X + 15 number of offensive players returning on scholarship. (Or so)

Therefore, we need to recruit more defensive players than offensive players so the roster remains balanced. It's true that we need offensive playmakers. But coaches know what they are doing when they recruit so many guys on D. Gabbert and CC need to be replaced by a QB and WR though. IMO.

actually, your formula is dead on. returning scholarship players (before defections or walk-on schollies) is skewed 42 offensive (including the kickers) to 27 defensive. now, there should be some skew towards the offense normally, but that's too far out of whack. we need to fill some holes on the defense in this class, particularly on the DL. obviously we are doing so.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/82...st-them-gabbert

I know there's a recruiting forum for this, but thought I'd share it here just the same to get thoughts and opinions.

IMHO - not a big loss, especially not if he was planning on passing '40 times a game' as quoted in the article. A QB who wants to pass that much tells me one thing - that he doesn't want to get hit and have to be physical with the ball.

He is visiting MU later this week.

Perhaps Crick will be kind enough to carry on the tradition of showing former commits just how much it hurts to line up against the blackshirts :).

There's also some speculation that his decision might be sparked by insider knowledge of a coaching change (Specifically at OC) as that is sometimes the case when recruits suddenly change their mind, but I'm guessing that's more rumor than anything.

EDIT - Apparently this is late news, my apologies, that'll teach me to rely on ESPN for things :)

QB Gabbert decommits from Nebraska

By BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star

Wednesday, Dec 09, 2009 - 08:49:55 pm CST Tyler Gabbert wants to throw the football 40 times a game. He senses Nebraska's offense is moving farther and farther away from that. More power football. Less slinging it around.

And so the high school quarterback from Ballwin Park, Mo., decommitted on Tuesday night during a phone conversation with Husker offensive coordinator Shawn Watson.

"It definitely was a mutual decision," Gabbert said Wednesday. "I told him that I didn't see myself playing at Nebraska in five years, and told him I wanted to look around a little bit. He was like, 'Yeah, we understand that. I'm not going to make you come. You have to follow your heart. But if you're looking around, we have to go our separate direction and look after our best interest as well.'"

Gabbert said he would be making an official visit to Missouri this week, where his older brother, Blaine, is the starting quarterback. Blaine was committed to Nebraska two years ago, only to change course during NU's coaching shake-up that season.

"At this point the only definite plans I have is to take an official visit to Missouri, and then after this weekend we'll see where things go from there," Tyler Gabbert said.

Tyler Gabbert said Nebraska's shift this season from the West Coast/spread attack to more I-formation "definitely" impacted his decision.

"I know they're doing what they have to do to win," he said. "But I did some research of the past recruiting classes. I haven't seen the receivers or athletes coming in as opposed to all the linemen and running backs coming in. So it just kind of makes you wonder what the intentions are for the offense. And I imagine myself throwing the ball 40 times a game. … So in terms of running the power-I, that's just not the case in that style of offense."

Nebraska ran the ball on about 58 percent of its plays this year, with the Huskers becoming especially run-heavy the final six games. Nebraska has run 69 percent of the time since the Baylor game.

The Huskers also received a decommitment on Monday from Louisiana receiver Curtis Carter.

Husker coaches can't comment on specific recruits until they sign somewhere, so their opinion on both decommitment cases can't be heard.

At this point, there seems no certainty Nebraska will try to find another quarterback in this year's recruiting class, especially after it received two more commitments Wednesday from offensive tackle Jermarcus Hardrick and linebacker Lavonte David. NU stands at 16 commitments with limited space left.

Tyler Gabbert said he thanked Watson, but it just came down to a change of heart.

"You got to go where you're going to be happy, because as everyone says, 'It can become a job,'" Tyler Gabbert said. "And if you're not happy with where you're at, you're never going to reach your potential. I think people should respect that, but sometimes that's not always the case."

IMHO - not a big loss, especially not if he was planning on passing '40 times a game' as quoted in the article. A QB who wants to pass that much tells me one thing - that he doesn't want to get hit and have to be physical with the ball.

I fail to see the correlation between wanting to throw and not wanting to get hit. There are very few QB that really don't want to throw and even fewer that want to get hit. It is true that some QB's are better runner than throwers. If you polled top H.S. Senior QB's many are not intrigued by hearing you will hand off 75 - 85% and run QB dive.

If a 4 or 5 star QB had these rating for there final season they probably wouldn't be 4 or 5 stars.

Zac Lee 164 Completions, 279 Attempts, 10 INT's, and 13 TD

Cody Green 33 Completions, 60 Attempts, 2 INT's and 2 TD

Team Passing 197 Completions 339 Attempts, 12 INT's 15 TD

How is the favor tilted to the O? I get that our defense is good and helping out of offense but not recruiting any offensive skill players makes no sense. With our pathetic offense we need play-makers coming in here to help up the production. Our defense can't carry us to the Big 12 Championship game every year.

IT IS SAD THAT THIS STAFF EVEN RECRUITED GABBERT. HE COMES FROM BAD BLOOD. HE PLAYED US BIG TIME. Cody Green will start for the next 3 years. Seriously, he is a close version of Vince Young. Once we get through next years spring game and fall practice, it will be all good. He is the closest we have had to TF, Tommy Frazier, since Turner Gil. If recruits can't see the potential of NU, we will just move on. No big deal. Our core is there and we will compete for a National Championship soon. We only lost one game by more than one touchdown.

THINK ABOUT IT!!!!! We are a one lose team in reality coming off the Calahan era!!! The Calahan era!!!!

Child, Please!!!!!!!!

We are fine. NU under Polini will dominate soon!!!!

Schuhbdoo

Be careful or BRI will give you a ticket for PWD.

Best of luck to him...he's going to need it if he plays anywhere else in the Big XII. He may want to watch videos of what the Blackshirts did to his brother, McCoy and the other QBs in the league! :bonez

if he's smart he'll go to Illinois or some where far far away because wafflers like him and his brother are prime black shirt meat.