All American - Stars when recruited

JTempl

OK, so randomly pick 20 ** players out of this years graduating high school seniors, and randomly pick 20 ***** players for me. In 4 years, I pay you $100 for every one of yours that makes all american or gets drafted, and you do the same for me. Is there anyone who truly believes that stars don't matter enough to take that bet?

I will take it if you give me 3 star guys, which I think is fair.

Oh, you are on. In fact since you thought last years NFL draft sums it up so well, let's figure out a way to do random picks of the recruiting class from 4 years before and see how it turns out, so we don't have to wait for 4 years. Or take the year of your choice. All we need is a list of all of the 3 and 5 star recruits from then and some fair way of randomly picking them, like using the last digits of the future stock market indices or something else that is unpredictable.

For example, the Dow closed on Friday at 10,471.50. If there were 1000 in your pool to look at we'd use the last 3 digits and pick number 150 off your list. If there are 100 in my pool we'd use the last 2 digists and pick number 50. Choose the number of indices to use and for how many days in the future to pick your 25 and my 20, and we'd have our random lists. Then see how many off of each list got drafted.

It sure is a good thing that our coaches don't just pick random 2-star and 3-star players to offer instead of doing research and evaluations.

That is funny!!

Lets just use last years top 10. I think 4 were 5 star guys, so just PM me and send me the 200 dollars.

Michael Crabtree was a 4 Star coming out of High School. He was also a Rivals Top 250. He wasn't a 2 Star like is noted in the post about last years draft class. He also had an offer from OU but that was left out of the post as well.

Jason Smith from Baylor had offers from KU and Minnesota he also weighted 220 lbs coming out of High School.

BJ Raji had offers from Rutgers and Wisconsin.

Tyson Jackson was a 3 Star and the #14 Stronside DE. He also had an offer from Colorado.

Darrius Heyward-Bey was a 4 Star and the #12 rated WR.

These are all per Rivals like the poster said.

I don't care either way on this debate, but I'm trying to put off studying for a final so I looked at Husker Rivals ratings since 2002, and here are some of the notables I saw.

Lived up to the hype:

DeMorrio Williams :star :star :star :star :star

Jay Moore :star :star :star :star

Fabian Washington :star :star :star :star

Bo Ruud :star :star :star :star

Lydon Murtha :star :star :star :star

Zachary Bowman :star :star :star :star :star (I guess)

Zach Potter :star :star :star :star

Steve Octavien :star :star :star :star

Maurice Purify :star :star :star :star

Larry Asante :star :star :star :star

Overhyped:

David Horne :star :star :star :star

Mark LeFlore :star :star :star :star

Josh Mueller :star :star :star :star

Cortney Grixby :star :star :star :star

Marlon Lucky :star :star :star :star :star

Herrison Beck :star :star :star :star

Chris Brooks :star :star :star :star

Rodney Picou :star :star :star :star

Andrew Jones :star :star :star :star :star

Zac Lee :star :star :star :star

Underhyped

Adam Carriker :star :star :star

Matt Herian :star :star :star

Andrew Shanle :star

Brandon Jackson :star :star :star

Nate Swift :star :star :star

Terrence Nunn :star :star :star (He should have gotten at least another star for dating a playmate)

Ty Steinkuhler :star :star :star

Joe Ganz :star :star

Ndamukong Suh :star :star :star :star

Barry Turner :star :star :star

Cody Glenn :star :star :star

Pierre Allen :star :star :star

Mike McNeill :star :star :star

Prince Amukamara :star :star :star

Jared Crick :star :star :star

No way in hell Marlon was over hyped. Its not his fault that every husker fan expected him to be the next coming of barry sanders. I would be willing to bet that if we get Aaron Green next year and he doesn't at least compete for the heisman two times he will be considered over hyped.. That's a joke. I think courtney gets the short end of the stick just because of the defense he played in. If the kid was playing under Bo i'd bet we'd be talking about how much of a stud he was. The kid was a talent. Just because he's short doesn't mean he isn't a hell of a talent.

Michael Crabtree was a 4 Star coming out of High School. He was also a Rivals Top 250. He wasn't a 2 Star like is noted in the post about last years draft class. He also had an offer from OU but that was left out of the post as well.

Crabtree was a 4 Star ATH per Rivals, but he was also just a 2 Star WR per Scout.

Actually, Rivals did rate him a 4-star kid but Scout had him at 2-stars. So the above quote you are talking about technically wasn't wrong.

Funny how it says his downfield ability, hands, and route running need to be better....boy was scout wrong on this one or what!?!?!?

Actually, Rivals did rate him a 4-star kid but Scout had him at 2-stars. So the above quote you are talking about technically wasn't wrong.

Funny how it says his downfield ability, hands, and route running need to be better....boy was scout wrong on this one or what!?!?!?

Yeah, but wasnt he a QB in high school?

OK, so randomly pick 20 ** players out of this years graduating high school seniors, and randomly pick 20 ***** players for me. In 4 years, I pay you $100 for every one of yours that makes all american or gets drafted, and you do the same for me. Is there anyone who truly believes that stars don't matter enough to take that bet?

Oh, you are on. In fact since you thought last years NFL draft sums it up so well, let's figure out a way to do random picks of the recruiting class from 4 years before and see how it turns out, so we don't have to wait for 4 years. Or take the year of your choice. All we need is a list of all of the 3 and 5 star recruits from then and some fair way of randomly picking them, like using the last digits of the future stock market indices or something else that is unpredictable.

For example, the Dow closed on Friday at 10,471.50. If there were 1000 in your pool to look at we'd use the last 3 digits and pick number 150 off your list. If there are 100 in my pool we'd use the last 2 digists and pick number 50. Choose the number of indices to use and for how many days in the future to pick your 25 and my 20, and we'd have our random lists. Then see how many off of each list got drafted.

It sure is a good thing that our coaches don't just pick random 2-star and 3-star players to offer instead of doing research and evaluations.

That is funny!!

Lets just use last years top 10. I think 4 were 5 star guys, so just PM me and send me the 200 dollars.

You're a teacher? I sure hope it's not in math or logic. But congratulations, you've outlasted me. I'm not going to beat my head against the wall to convince someone who simply won't understand.

AndyDufresne, even with all of your years behind the walls of Shawshank, you've still got it. You have a point that we are (hopefully) going after 2 & 3 * players who fill needs and seem to have the right attitude to play here. There are still a lot who don't pan out. I'd take my chances with more 4 & 5 * guys when we can get them.

No way in hell Marlon was over hyped. Its not his fault that every husker fan expected him to be the next coming of barry sanders.

***snip***

Sorry. I'd have to agree that he was over hyped as well. He looked utterly average, and he was a 5 star.

Marlon Lucky couldn't beat out Brandon Jackson, Kenny Wilson or Cody Glenn to outright win a starting role. He was also leap frogged by a sophomore in Helu last year with a stale senior year, as well as putting up below average combine numbers that led to a DOA Pro career.... does that sound like a five star athlete?

Honestly, you'd almost be better off with the 2-stars.

the diff is people will celebrate 2-stars or unrated players rising to become stars but nobody blinks an eye when a five-star does it. it's just expected. It's not that the rating system is flawed or even imperfect, there is NO way you can accurately predict future success for any player. the ratings systems are getting better and better as they have access to more information and expand in scope.

you could say the same thing about people's college GPAs. YES, there will be people who are wildly successful despite barely above-water GPAs in school. That doesn't mean the same thing as "4.0's don't matter."

I hope none of the "stars don't matter" folks are the same ones getting excited that Eunwa's talent is now being validated by getting his Rivals 5.7.

I never said a team needs all 22 5 star players, or even one of them. Saying the ranking system is worthless is a an ignorant comment. Yes there are less 5 star players therefore making the all-american team raises the percentage, but that only proves my point more. Accuracy ratings of highschool players isn't a science, but the fact that you can take 20 some players annually and say with certainty that 20-10% of them will become all-americans is pretty damn good. Considering there are nearly 14,000 division 1 players at any time in the nation, I'll take my odds with a 5 star over any joe schmoe, but the fact is any 4 star, 3 star or even 2 star can be molded into excellent football players; it is merely less likely the lower you go down the list because it is harder to rank the intangibles.

Really? 2 out of 20 is good. Wish you taught some of my classes.

No way in hell Marlon was over hyped. Its not his fault that every husker fan expected him to be the next coming of barry sanders.

***snip***

Sorry. I'd have to agree that he was over hyped as well. He looked utterly average, and he was a 5 star.

Marlon Lucky couldn't beat out Brandon Jackson, Kenny Wilson or Cody Glenn to outright win a starting role. He was also leap frogged by a sophomore in Helu last year with a stale senior year, as well as putting up below average combine numbers that led to a DOA Pro career.... does that sound like a five star athlete?

He is 4th all-time in all-purpose yards. What more did you want him to do?

***snip***

He is 4th all-time in all-purpose yards. What more did you want him to do?

Do you think he is the 4th best Husker running back of all time?

I never said a team needs all 22 5 star players, or even one of them. Saying the ranking system is worthless is a an ignorant comment. Yes there are less 5 star players therefore making the all-american team raises the percentage, but that only proves my point more. Accuracy ratings of highschool players isn't a science, but the fact that you can take 20 some players annually and say with certainty that 20-10% of them will become all-americans is pretty damn good. Considering there are nearly 14,000 division 1 players at any time in the nation, I'll take my odds with a 5 star over any joe schmoe, but the fact is any 4 star, 3 star or even 2 star can be molded into excellent football players; it is merely less likely the lower you go down the list because it is harder to rank the intangibles.

Really? 2 out of 20 is good. Wish you taught some of my classes.

Ha.

It's good no matter how you want to spin it. Look at the same % for 4 stars, 3 stars and 2 stars and see the order of magnitude difference as you get down to the 3 and 2 stars. If that's not significant, sorry, I don't know what is.

I hope you don't need it pointed out to you that this is personnel evaluation, not math class. What's even the point of applying the standards used for academic or scientific precision?

Agree on Lucky though. Maybe he wasn't AA, but he was damn productive and a big part of the offense while he was here. Why does every 5-star have to become one of the best players at the position that we have ever had?

Im just saying, the Lucky ( :star :star :star :star :star ) couldn't beat out Cody Glenn ( :star :star :star), Brandon Jackson ( :star :star :star), Roy Helu ( :star :star :star) and Kenny Wilson ( :star :star :star :star). I see both sides of the argument for the whole "do the stars matter" debate, but I'm just saying, compared to the running backs around him and their star ratings, he didn't step up like the 5 star as advertised. You can't really debate that.