Next year I expect Steinkuhler to be to Crick what Crick was to Suh

Nexus

Suh was probably a once in a lifetime player. I don't remember anyone being that good when I watched all the tapes of '95 and '97 when we had amazing defenses.

Assuming somebody will just 'step in' to Suh's shoes is a pretty poor assessment. Somebody will fill the gap well, yes, but they will not be a player at the level that Suh is at.

Quite true.

No one should expect suh.

That said, I'd guess that Crick will be at, or near, all conference and that Steinkuhler will be nearly as good as Crick. That 1-2 punch in the middle will be really quite strong. I'd guess that Allen will be better next year than he was this year. So too for Crick. I'd guess that Cameron Meredith will be just as good, if not slightly better, than Turner. So... I see 3 of the 4 positions on the D-Line improving in terms of starters. And I'd guess the depth will be better across the board. The only position that will be a downgrade --- which by definition it must be --- is replacing Suh. Still.... Steinkuhler will be really, really good (not Suh good ... but really good nonetheless).

So.... I am thinking that the D-line will be as good (or close to as good) next year as they were this year. And ... the back 7 will be better next year than this year. Overall? The defense improves.

That said, I'd guess that Crick will be at, or near, all conference and that Steinkuhler will be nearly as good as Crick. That 1-2 punch in the middle will be really quite strong. I'd guess that Allen will be better next year than he was this year. So too for Crick. I'd guess that Cameron Meredith will be just as good, if not slightly better, than Turner. So... I see 3 of the 4 positions on the D-Line improving in terms of starters. And I'd guess the depth will be better across the board. The only position that will be a downgrade --- which by definition it must be --- is replacing Suh. Still.... Steinkuhler will be really, really good (not Suh good ... but really good nonetheless).

So.... I am thinking that the D-line will be as good (or close to as good) next year as they were this year. And ... the back 7 will be better next year than this year. Overall? The defense improves.

That is exactly how I feel. Good rundown.

That is exactly how I feel. Good rundown.

:yeah Eerie....

I think that Baker will be a better lineman than Crick by the end of next season. The kid is 2 inches taller and slightly faster than Suh. He has a a stronger lower body than Suh did coming into our program by about 45lbs on his Squat max. The only difference recruit wise between him and Suh is that Suh got a red shirt season under BC, but steinkuhler gets a year as a backup under Suh and the Pelini brothers. My only concern about Baker at this level is keeping him flexible enough while putting on upper and lower body muscle to continue to stay low in the pads attacking linemen.

Suh was probably a once in a lifetime player. I don't remember anyone being that good when I watched all the tapes of '95 and '97 when we had amazing defenses.

Assuming somebody will just 'step in' to Suh's shoes is a pretty poor assessment. Somebody will fill the gap well, yes, but they will not be a player at the level that Suh is at.

I would have to say the D-linees of those two years were just as good, but usually the case, we were ahead by 40 by mid 3rd anyway so 2nd and 3rd teamers were in.

Nebraska's defensive line in 2003 was pretty good, Ryon Bingham and Le Kevin Smith, but neither were as good as Suh. I'd expect that type of production out of Crick and Steiny, maybe even a little better with more than 1 year of coaching, which isn't bad at all.

neither of those guys were anywhere near as good as crick. I hope crick can continue being crick. if so he will be one of the best DT in the country. just look at the guys stats this year.

Nebraska's defensive line in 2003 was pretty good, Ryon Bingham and Le Kevin Smith, but neither were as good as Suh. I'd expect that type of production out of Crick and Steiny, maybe even a little better with more than 1 year of coaching, which isn't bad at all.

neither of those guys were anywhere near as good as crick. I hope crick can continue being crick. if so he will be one of the best DT in the country. just look at the guys stats this year.

Actually I look for Crick to once again be "little brother" but this time it'll be to Baker instead of Suh. And that is not taking anything away from Crick. He deserves a lot of credit for Suh's season.

Overall a better defense is buyable.

Replacing Suh is not going to happen this year, next year or in most of our life times.

He is the best defensive player to ever play at Nebraska, no one is close as far as I can see.

Every other defensive player that was good had a great top ten team around him. Suh had good players, not the level of the others.

I think overall we will be better because of all the experience they got this year, and in honesty learning from Suh and the brothers Pelini what it takes to be the best. I see a lot of the striving to be at his level next year. Those two guys made him what he is, he just did the work to be there.

But he will be missed and it will be obvious quickly, just how imprortant the man named Suh has been.