The Forgotten Man

I have no inside info, but I would not be shocked to see Latravis emerge this spring and really push for the starting QB spot. Obviously Lee has been in the system for a long time, however he did not progress as we would have hoped. I know that Cody got the nod over him the entire year, but that is in this system.

I know that the coaches aren't really tipping their hat too much to what the offense will be next year, but you can tell by the type of QB's we are going after that there will be a much larger emphasis on the QB running the ball. We know that Latravis can do that. He did it in highschool and he was recruited by some of the top schools to do just that.

Obviously the challenge for Latravis, being only his second year at QB, will be to get the system down. If our system stays as complex as it is right now, forget it. It won't happen. However, if we simplify things quite a bit and let the QB's show what they can do with their God given ability I don't know that there is a more athletic young man on our team.

Last of all, I just have that feeling. Nothing ever seems to go the way we Husker fans expect it to. Speculate all you want, but it seems like there is always a wrench thrown in there somewhere. Very recently we had another QB who was heading into his 5th year, who once he got a chance to show what he could do did not dissappoint. Up until then no one gave him a chance. I know that Ganz had 5 years at QB, but he needed every one of those years for how complex that system was. If we simplify things to the point where an athelete can just "do what he do", then I think one year in the system may be enough. I was at that spring game and Latravis looked amazing for a guy who had only been at the position for a few weeks.

Latravis is actually a lot like Ganz in many ways. Both have always done things the right way. Both are guys that teammates love and respect. Neither gave up even when it looked like their eligibility might pass without ever playing a meaningful snap. Good things happen to good people, especially good people who can run like a deer and have an absolute cannon of an arm.

Oh yeah, GO BIG RED!

I have no inside info, but I would not be shocked to see Latravis emerge this spring and really push for the starting QB spot. Obviously Lee has been in the system for a long time, however he did not progress as we would have hoped. I know that Cody got the nod over him the entire year, but that is in this system.

I know that the coaches aren't really tipping their hat too much to what the offense will be next year, but you can tell by the type of QB's we are going after that there will be a much larger emphasis on the QB running the ball. We know that Latravis can do that. He did it in highschool and he was recruited by some of the top schools to do just that.

Obviously the challenge for Latravis, being only his second year at QB, will be to get the system down. If our system stays as complex as it is right now, forget it. It won't happen. However, if we simplify things quite a bit and let the QB's show what they can do with their God given ability I don't know that there is a more athletic young man on our team.

Last of all, I just have that feeling. Nothing ever seems to go the way we Husker fans expect it to. Speculate all you want, but it seems like there is always a wrench thrown in there somewhere. Very recently we had another QB who was heading into his 5th year, who once he got a chance to show what he could do did not dissappoint. Up until then no one gave him a chance. I know that Ganz had 5 years at QB, but he needed every one of those years for how complex that system was. If we simplify things to the point where an athelete can just "do what he do", then I think one year in the system may be enough. I was at that spring game and Latravis looked amazing for a guy who had only been at the position for a few weeks.

Latravis is actually a lot like Ganz in many ways. Both have always done things the right way. Both are guys that teammates love and respect. Neither gave up even when it looked like their eligibility might pass without ever playing a meaningful snap. Good things happen to good people, especially good people who can run like a deer and have an absolute cannon of an arm.

Oh yeah, GO BIG RED!

I really hope he emerges in the off-season too. I'm curious to see if he's another diamond in the rough type of player that we've been overlooking due to the complexities of the playbook.

You do make good points though and I agree. Play to the player's strengths and build a system around it. I would also apply that to all of the QB's who are challenging for the starting spot. Find out what their strengths are and create the playbook to utilize those strengths.

So what you're saying is, LW isn't too smart?

I hope I didn't imply that. Like I said, I have no inside knowledge of anyone or anything in the program, so as far as I know Latravis could be a genious or he could be a box of rocks. I don't know. My assumption is that he is a very smart guy from the few times I have heard him interviewed and from things players and coaches have said about him. I am simply saying he is a guy who hadn't played QB for 3 years and just got thrown into the mix in a system that is very complex.

My guess as to why he wasn't in the mix this year is that he ran a pure option in HS and he didn't have to read coverages to the extent that Lee or Green had to in the past. That just puts him even farther behind in addition to not having played the position in several years. All just guessing, I don't know one way or another. I do know that I was very impressed with him in the spring game and hope that he emerges, because I think he could be a nightmare for defenses.

LW, plain and simple, had a rocket arm and was able to fill a glaring need if the case came along. More than anything, he fell victim the fact that Bo could do without him on the defense. Everyone wants to talk a big team game, well, LW is the classic example. He was in the right place at the wrong time with the right skills, and willing to use them. I give him mad props. the dude is smart. He made his worth known, and solidified himself a spot on the team. he made himself indispensable. Sure, he will never start anywhere, but who's to say he didnt contribute just as much as anyone else did?

LW, plain and simple, had a rocket arm and was able to fill a glaring need if the case came along. More than anything, he fell victim the fact that Bo could do without him on the defense. Everyone wants to talk a big team game, well, LW is the classic example. He was in the right place at the wrong time with the right skills, and willing to use them. I give him mad props. the dude is smart. He made his worth known, and solidified himself a spot on the team. he made himself indispensable. Sure, he will never start anywhere, but who's to say he didnt contribute just as much as anyone else did?

I think you are probably right, but I am holding out hope. And like I said, I wouldn't be shocked.

I am glad to see this thread. I’m a fan of LaTravis, and glad to see him get some props. It is a shame we have not been able to put his skills to use on the field. Seems like we could find someplace for him. He could probably play a half dozen different positions.

I am glad to see this thread. I’m a fan of LaTravis, and glad to see him get some props. It is a shame we have not been able to put his skills to use on the field. Seems like we could find someplace for him. He could probably play a half dozen different positions.

Oh well, I'm sure LW can't complain. He's getting a full ride, plus all that bowl swag can't hurt.

LW is an athlete...shame SW doesn't know what to do with athletes this year.

i agree, he didn't make any impressions or move up the charts as he had the whole season to learn the offense. i just don't see him suddenly rising to the top this spring, although by now he should have a grasp off the offense.

changing the O to a qb run type set will not be the answer. stacking the line is a time honored way to stop the run, you have to have a qb that can throw the ball and remain mobile as well. Green looked horrible trying to run against OU and their defense is nothing special. i don't know what direction SW is going to take the team, but without a qb who can throw and display some reliability, it really won't matter.