safety depth?

I have been reading a lot about how we are going to be really thin at safety next year with both our starters being seniors. So i am wondering who we have at safety and why are we so thin?

Also I thought that Dijon Washington who is redshirting this year was supposed to be a stud...How come I have read nothing about him and playing time next year or the year after? Is he still with the team?

Guys at safety that I can think of off the top of my head:

PJ Smith

Courtney Osbourne

Austin Cassidy

Dijon Washington

maybe Eric Hagg

maybe Ricky Thenarse

who else am I missing?

sals

I believe your list to be pretty accurate. Hagg will definately get a shot at the other safety spot as it appears PJ is the clear cut leader at the other. With that said I dont think that we will be thin by any means.

With recruiting we will add: Harvey Jackson and HOPEFULLY Corey Cooper.

All the kids mentioned above will have another year with Pelini and Marvin Sanders coaching in addition to another year learning the system.

Look what they did with Asante. The athletic ability with him was always there but in his junior year he was an assignment disaster. In one year they made him an all-big 12 safety.

do you guys think thenarse will compete for one of the starting positons?

You never know how people will come back from a knee injury. I mean we all had VERY high hopes for Chris Williams but a knee injury seemed to have haulted his development. So it all depends how Ricky comes back from the injury.

OP, I like the pic in your sig.

Thanks, I took that one 2 years ago in Boulder. Really cold game. You should click the link above the photo "sal's photo" and check out the shots from this years game.

As for the safety discussion, thanks EZ-E for the thoughts. I forgot about Harvey Jackson and am really hoping to get Cooper. I have high hopes for Smith, and would like to see Hagg next to him.

sals

I think getting Thenarse back should keep Hagg at nickle, and focus the battle down to Smith, Osborne (E: and Washington) at the other safety spot. It's probably a little late to move West now that he's a Sr. But where do young guys like Andrew Green and Antony Blue fit in with all the depth NU will at CB?

If there is any place on the team where NU has room to move guys around it in the secondary. Bo and Co have assembled quite a bit of depth to work with.