Cooper commitment possibly coming soon.....

Kiffin going to USC could help with Cooper

Why would that help us with Cooper. Both USC and Tennessee were going after Prater and he committed to USC probably because he felt comfortable with USC coaches instead of Kiffen at Tennessee. So with that said if he didn't feel comfortable with Kiffen than why would he stay at USC?

I hope I'm wrong though

Because he has a relationship with Kiffen and really likes USC. Kiffen going to USC puts that school in a place where he feels comfortable with the staff, again, and the school. As papio pointed out, it already settled Prater down and he is at USC.

I'm really not too concerned about Cooper's commitment. Sure, he looks like a promising DB prospect, but as we can already tell with some of the 2011 guys, we are going to have plenty of top talent lining up at the door who can't wait to sign for the Huskers. (Turner, Reeves, Moore) Of those three, none of them will be playing defense for the Huskers, and you know that the 2011 class is going to have some top defensive talent that saw what kind of empire Bo is building here.

He should have already been committed by now, looking at his other options, no other program provides the opportunities that our staff and our defense does. If

If we don't sign Cooper, you know we'll get some other badass safety for our 2011 class that might even be better than Cooper.

Not to mention we've already got lots of talented DB's on the team.

Well we really need all of the DBs we can get because we really will have issues in 2012-2014 if we don't. Cooper is a big time talent that Bo obviously covets or he wouldn't be holding a spot for him. Is it the end of the world if Cooper doesn't commit, no but I would say that the staff really really wants him so that should tell us all we need to know about Cooper's importance.

Getting guys like this at the end of the recruiting class is what makes teams take a leap IMO. Just look at the guys that we missed out on at the end of the class during the callahan era. Mouton, Ross, Lewis, Palmer and many many more. Bo has done an excellent job at landing late gets in Burkhead, Ankrah and Compton in just two years. Without those guys I don't think our future would be as bright.

Getting guys like this at the end of the recruiting class is what makes teams take a leap IMO. Just look at the guys that we missed out on at the end of the class during the callahan era. Mouton, Ross, Lewis, Palmer and many many more. Bo has done an excellent job at landing late gets in Burkhead, Ankrah and Compton in just two years. Without those guys I don't think our future would be as bright.

Great point Husker1, also IIRC Eric Martin was a commit towards end of the recruiting period. So that just shows that Bo can finish with quality guys. Remember Carrol said that he missed out on a good one in Martin.

Sooooo, I think that huskers1 and a few others may be a bit pissed after this weekend. However I would like to present the following riddle, which one of the following Safety prospects do you want on your team?

Here are the Rivals reported stats for both prospects:

Height: 6'0"

Weight: 200 lbs.

40 time: 4.5

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 203 lbs.

Now consider that one is a local product who is a Husker through and through and the other is considered a big time prospect that is getting recruited nationally. One for sure will put his heart and soul into the program, has said he just wants to do what will get him on the field. The other we think will be a good/great player, but you just don't know for sure how he fits into the culture. Who would you take?

Sooooo, I think that huskers1 and a few others may be a bit pissed after this weekend. However I would like to present the following riddle, which one of the following Safety prospects do you want on your team?

Now consider that one is a local product who is a Husker through and through and the other is considered a big time prospect that is getting recruited nationally. One for sure will put his heart and soul into the program, has said he just wants to do what will get him on the field. The other we think will be a good/great player, but you just don't know for sure how he fits into the culture. Who would you take?

Cave - I completely understand your point here. But the walk-on program takes care this issue. I would much rather take the 6'2 203lb Corey Cooper, who has a million offers, over the 6'0 200lb Bronson Marsh, that doesn't hold a single D-1 offer.

Again, I understand your point. Putting their height, weight, and 40 times next to each other makes them seem very similar. Yes, Bo can coach the heck out of both of them but they are still far away from each other in terms of potential. Give Bronson a chance to get a scholarship if he proves himself just like Matt O'Hanlon did this past year.

Cave - I completely understand your point here. But the walk-on program takes care this issue. I would much rather take the 6'2 203lb Corey Cooper, who has a million offers, over the 6'0 200lb Bronson Marsh, that doesn't hold a single D-1 offer.

Again, I understand your point. Putting their height, weight, and 40 times next to each other makes them seem very similar. Yes, Bo can coach the heck out of both of them but they are still far away from each other in terms of potential. Give Bronson a chance to get a scholarship if he proves himself just like Matt O'Hanlon did this past year.

Well then I think this board will be interesting come Monday, I really have a feeling that Bronson will get an offer on his visit this weekend.

Well then I think this board will be interesting come Monday, I really have a feeling that Bronson will get an offer on his visit this weekend.

By all means, I would not be mad if we offer Bronson. Just stating that I would take Cooper over Bronson. I trust these coaches and if they offer Bronson, great! They know a hell of a lot more than me.

I for one would be pissed if we offered Bronson. Even if we don't get cooper that schollie can go to Simek. I really, truly have nothing against home grown NE boys but we can't just offer them bc they are from NE and we don't want them to go elsewhere. I either think that we can take that schollie that might be offered to Marsh and either get a better player this year or save that schollie and get a better player next year. Again I'm not saying Marsh isn't a solid project bc I think he is, I just think we could get someone better either this year or next.

I for one would be pissed if we offered Bronson. Even if we don't get cooper that schollie can go to Simek. I really, truly have nothing against home grown NE boys but we can't just offer them bc they are from NE and we don't want them to go elsewhere. I either think that we can take that schollie that might be offered to Marsh and either get a better player this year or save that schollie and get a better player next year. Again I'm not saying Marsh isn't a solid project bc I think he is, I just think we could get someone better either this year or next.

Note: this is not meant to be directed at the poster but rather at the concept in the post.

Here's the problem I have with fans and recruiting every year. There is absolutely no way to know whether one player is really "better" than another. Do the recruitniks here really think they know better than the staff whether a player will fit into the system? I'm all for differing opinions and discussions on who projects where and how good we think they'll be, but to get "pissed" about an offer or recruit coming to NU just doesn't make sense to me.

Ok let me say that I would not be "pissed" at just the Marsh offer rather the collection of Evans, Cotton and then Marsh....then offer Michell a greyshirt. I don't care if he is younger than the others in his grade if he is better than others in the class then let him come in and compete. Again, I'm not saying I'm against in state guys just that I think there are better players out there to get, like Simek for example in this class. I'm not saying I know more than the coaches and never hinted at that, just saying based on the film I have seen of Evans in particular for this class and the amount of attention other recruits have gotten I see no reason why NU a pretty damn big name would be the only school to offer these kids. We should not be competing with South Dakota State and Ohio for schollie recruits we should be competing with them for our walk ons.

Ok let me say that I would not be "pissed" at just the Marsh offer rather the collection of Evans, Cotton and then Marsh....then offer Michell a greyshirt. I don't care if he is younger than the others in his grade if he is better than others in the class then let him come in and compete. Again, I'm not saying I'm against in state guys just that I think there are better players out there to get, like Simek for example in this class. I'm not saying I know more than the coaches and never hinted at that, just saying based on the film I have seen of Evans in particular for this class and the amount of attention other recruits have gotten I see no reason why NU a pretty damn big name would be the only school to offer these kids. We should not be competing with South Dakota State and Ohio for schollie recruits we should be competing with them for our walk ons.

I'm gonna have to agree with huskers1 on this one. There is a reason schools like Alabama, Texas, Florida, and USC win NCs, they recruit and sign the best players in the country. Schools offer kids on potential just like NBA, MLB, and NFL draft kids on potential. There is no way you could convince me that Marsh has the same type of potential at safety as Cooper.

Our walk-on program is designed to give kids like Marsh a chance to EARN a scholarship. If a walk-on comes in and works his butt off in the weight room and the field, give him everything we can! Remember though its a potential issue still. An offer to a high school kid is a big deal in terms of $ and resources. We better be getting a return on our investment.

Like I said in a previous post, I would love for Bo to offer Marsh. It just better be b/c Bo sees the potential in this kid and not to fill a spot in the class b/c he's a Nebraska kid.

I've gotta agree w/ the above posters. Anyone that argues ratings are worthless is someone that is still bitter about the fact that they thrived on ratings during the Cal/Coz era and got burned. NO SCHOOL in the last 6 years has won a championship without top rated classes. I only went back that 6 years because that is all rivals had for data. When we were winning mid-90's our classes were always right around #10.

I took the last 6 nations champions, went back 5 years in their recruiting (assuming some redshirted). I think USC had really high classes in 01' and 02'. NO SCHOOL has won a championship in the last 6 years that contains a class ranked worse than #22 (and that class of LSU was sandwiched between #1, #2, #7) NO SCHOOL has won a championship that didn't contain a class ranking in the top 3. 4 out of the last 5 National Champions contained a #1 ranked class.

I'm not saying you can't when championships with Nebraska born 2-stars and #30 ranked classes...I'm just saying the odds are against you. I'm also not saying that a top ranked class guarentees you a championship...but the trends suggest that the odds are much more in your favor.

Hate rankings all you want, but the numbers are starting to hold up. That might not have been the case 10 years ago...but today's scouts/recruiters are getting better. Start praying for top 20 classes, because without them my money is going to be on someone else...and I'll be settling for the Holiday bowl.

Give me a 4-star over a 2-star any day.

2004 - USC

2002: #13

2003: #3

2005 - Texas

2002: #1

2003: #15

2004: #10

2006 - Florida

2002: #20

2003: #2

2004: #7

2005: #15

2007 - LSU

2002: #15

2003: #1

2004: #2

2005: #22

2006: #7

2008 - Florida

2003: #2

2004: #7

2005: #15

2006: #2

2007: #1

2009 - Alabama

2004: #15

2005: #18

2006: #11

2007: #10

2008: #1

I don't think the 40 times on Rivals can be trusted. Braylon Heard has a good 40 time on Rivals, but the problem is, he said on espn 1620 that he has never been timed.

I don't know if those are just made up but you can't take 40 times off Rivals in my opinion.