Chatting about the Huskers

Chatting about the Cornhuskers

A visit to a Huskers¹ chatroom a mere 20 days before kickoff of the 2005 season

Glasses_of_Rose: Sports Illustrated is a total rag. I can¹t believe they only picked Nebraska as the No. 56 team in college football. No. 56? That¹s like where teams like Marshall should be ranked.

CallyFan2005: Yeah, and the Sporting News picked the Huskers to finish fifth in the Big 12 North. What do they know?

Glasses_of_Rose: I heard that Phil Steele¹s college football mag has the Huskers No. 38 and he says they¹re one of the most improved teams in college football.

Skybox_Sam: Steele is the best, he always gets it right.

CallyFan2005: Steele gives NU the respect it deserves!!!

Reality_Check: Well, the Huskers are unproven at the quarterback position and lost three NFL draft picks off the defense, so I think it¹s difficult not to be at least a little bit pessimistic about the season.

Glasses_of_Rose: Get lost, Reality. We don¹t need people like you in here.

Skybox_Sam: If you can¹t support the program, just shut up.

CallyFan2005: Yeah, go jump on the Oklahoma message board, you freakin¹ hillbilly!!!

Reality_Check: Sorry guys, but just because we have all these new recruits doesn¹t necessarily mean we¹re going to win immediately. Plus, the Huskers are the only team in the North that DOESN¹T have their starting QB returning.

Glases_of_Rose: Who cares? Zac Taylor is going to win the Heisman!

CallyFan2005: With BC in his second year, we¹re going to definitely be in the hunt for the national title.

BIG_booster: That¹s right ‹ and when we look back on it all, I think the key will be that coach Callahan got rid of media day. No more wasting time doing interviews when they could be spending times in meetings, figuring out how to beat OU.

Skybox_Sam: The media is such a bunch of whiners. Who needs them? My office assistant¹s son runs laps around the practice fields every day and watches the workouts through the fence while he¹s stretching. He gives me all the info I need to know.

Glasses_of_Rose: Tell us Sam, what¹s the scoop?

Skybox_Sam: Harrison Beck is pushing Taylor for the starting QB spot, Marlon Lucky is better than Adrian Peterson and coach Cosgrove just got a haircut.

Glasses_of_Rose: Really! Just a trim or did he go with the high-and-tight?

BIG_booster: Has Harrison shaved off his beard yet?

CallyFan2005: Guys, please! I think you¹re overlooking the important things here. I mean, can we really start 5-0 at home on a field that has two DIFFERENT colors of FieldTurf?

Skybox_Sam: No, the bigger deal is that they lowered the crown of the field about nine inches.

I-live_with_mom: I calculated that if the crown of the field had been lowered prior to last year, Joe Dailey would¹ve had 8.3 more completions and 2.7 fewer interceptions and we would¹ve won the Southern Miss game.

BIG_booster: And continued our bowl streak.

Reality_Check: Fellas, don¹t you think Nebraska¹s worst defensive performance since World War II had more to do with it than the crown of the field?

CallyFan2005: I thought we told you to get out, knucklehead.

Skybox_Sam: Yeah ‹ why don¹t you just move to Ohio?

Glasses_of_Rose: What Reality, I suppose you think it¹s all Steve Pederson¹s fault?

Reality_Check: No, no, that¹s not what I¹m saying. And why is it that you can¹t offer some constructive criticism in here without getting attacked?

CallyFan2005: Just don¹t be trying to get on the bandwagon when we win the national title, Reality. There¹s no room for those who don¹t believe.

Reality_Check: It¹s not that I don¹t believe or that I¹m not a big fan. I just think some of you might be a little unrealistic about your expectations for this season. How about just getting back to a bowl game? That seems like a reasonable goal, doesn¹t it?

BIG_booster: Move to Colorado, freak!

-----------

Gotta love that conversation.

Wow. Thank god our board isnt like that. Even I would be telling the idiot who said we are going to win the national title to shut up. Reality check didnt even bash anyone in the program, he just said that there are question marks, which is true, and Marlon Lucky better than Adrian Peterson??? From what I have been hearing, he isnt even as good as Cody Glenn so far. What idiots.

Stuck,

I agree, this is probably the best, fairest board around. Most if they do not agree still give you the time to mention it and normally do not bad mouth your thoughts.

I have the same worries. I do not think we will be as good as some think, but that does not mean that I am not terribly excited about this team. It is young and motivated. There are quite a few potential game breakers in this group. I just hope they jell by the time conference opens.

Guys I think most of this conversation is retarded but you do have to look at a HUGE point brought up by CallyFan

CallyFan2005: Guys, please! I think you¹re overlooking the important things here. I mean, can we really start 5-0 at home on a field that has two DIFFERENT colors of FieldTurf?

I have often wondered this myself.

What happens when you go from the 5 yards that are lighter to the darker 5 yards, do you hesitate? Scary stuff if you ask me. :worship

Guys I think most of this conversation is retarded but you do have to look at a HUGE point brought up by CallyFan

I have often wondered this myself.

What happens when you go from the 5 yards that are lighter to the darker 5 yards, do you hesitate? Scary stuff if you ask me. :worship

hahaha.

That's a terrible board, but there are plenty of other bad ones such as the AOL board.

Reality wants the Huskers to do well, but feels there's too much inexperience for NU to be a top contender right now. I didn't see any posts where he said negative things about the staff. I got the impression he thinks NU has a bright future. Invite the guy over here. He deserves a lot better than that place.

I think that, for the most part, the members of this board have done a good job of not jumping on other members, or encouraging only one view point. I myself have jumped on other members at times, but only when I feel they are misstating facts or saying things that are blatantly wrong, and I have had people jump on me for the same thing, but I dont consider that to be myopic at all. There are, like any other board, occasional lapses from both sides, but the mods do a great job of handling it. Thank you blackshirt, eric, ar, dave, and slacker for running the best husker message board on the net.