Roy Helu Jr. running style

Fuzzy

Leodis Flowers

Wait a min, you said the last couple of years. Thats from the early 90's.

I was barely a husker fan back then.

What I said, was, that because he has been the best back our team has fielded the last couple years, he somehow has to be awesome simply because he's Nebraska's starting running back. I find that comical, lacking perspective.

What I said, was, that because he has been the best back our team has fielded the last couple years, he somehow has to be awesome simply because he's Nebraska's starting running back. I find that comical, lacking perspective.

Well i don't find Roy Helu to be an awesome RB, but i do think he is a great RB. Roy Helu has the capabilities to become an awesome RB. But personal opinion of mine, i think he has a better shot at being an awesome IB with speed and agility, rather than power.

Agreeing with Fuzzy, and also pointing out that my post had an "if he can stay healthy" clause when I projected him to go on to good things.

As far as what he has contributed to our program so far, I don't know how you could call it anything less than "really good". He averaged over 5 yards a carry the last two seasons, and still finished with four 100 yard games under the worst offense we have fielded in...ever?

I mean heck, in 2008 he had 100+ yards in four of the last five regular season games, which is when he finally got the starting nod. Without Roy, we don't stand a chance against VT, and we lose to Oklahoma, maybe even Kansas and Missouri too (in my opinion).

Running without a hamstring makes cutting sorta difficult. Seemed to look like he wanted to cut, but it hurt too much so he just headbutted whatever was in front of him. Worked alright, can't complain. 10 wins. It's all good. He'll bounce back next year.

I think you have to wait until he completes a full healthy season before you can compare him to recent backs. He had 800 yrds and a real nice 2nd half of the season in 08 when Lucky's production started to drop. He did hit 1000 this year, but the sky was the limit for him before the MU TD when he dinged his shoulder. As much as I'm excited for Burkhead, I'd like to see Helu come back and prove some of his critics wrong. Lets just hope he doesn't plan on moving 50' plasma tvs like some of our past RBs....

Roy averaged over 6 yards a carry (28 carries for 169 yards) against Virginia Tech.

He also averaged 6.9 yards a carry (20 carries for 138 yards) against Oklahoma.

Additionally, he absolutely broke Missouri's back on that last drive.

I think those games alone prove that he is more than just an "average" running back. Helu is good. He will probably never be an NFL back, but that doesn't mean we aren't lucky to have him.

Reality is that we really don't have a dominant back. Roy has shown flashes. Rex has shown flashes. Even Robinson has shown flashes, but we don't have a guy in the lineup yet that makes defenses afraid every time he touches the ball. Until we have a back that does that, every down, these discussions will continue.

we need to give roy a break. dude was hurt with his shoulder quite a bit of the year. and he still put up a thousand yard rushing year that was more productive than alot of the back's we have had through here lately.

If he stay's healthy next year it will be alot of fun.

and as to his running style i to really hope he bounces it outside some more next season. there was at least five times i counted he could have done it in either the Ou or Ku game.

I can't believe all the people killing Roy in this thread. The man was pretty badly injured ever since the Missouri and was a big reason we won that game. When was the last time Nebraska had a back average well over 5 ypc? It's been a long time, I'll tell you that.

Roy is a better back than Lucky, B Jack, and Ross........if he stays healthy. If he does stay healthy next year, I see 1300 yards in his future.

His biggest knock is health. If we would have had Castille this year, Roy would not have had such a rough season with injuries. Other backs get injured too. Rex broke his foot which made Roy take carries he wouldn't have normally, delaying his recovery. Roy may never be the every down back we hope for, but he is not a bad back. I for one can't wait to see him get back to back 1000 yard seasons.

I can't believe we've progressed through this thread this far and haven't mentioned the line play as a factor. First of all, Roy Helu is a very good running back. No one but RH will ever know how much pain he was in, but the way he played against ISU, I would guess it was a lot. Someone brushed his shoulder on the run near the goal line and he couldn't hold onto the ball. He is not a fumbler either. If that guy had room to run, he would be big time trouble for any D. Furthermore, if anyone here thinks RB is a better runner than RH you're high! RB is a more versatile player and would possibly get more snaps in a spread offense than RH, but if you are going to line up and just run it, Roy Helu Jr. is your back. For short yardage, I would expect to see a lot of Tray Robinson next year. He's the guy with the best chance of having an impact in the NFL.

You guys are being blatantly and inappropriately harsh on the guy.

Back on topic, when Roy was completely healthy, I think his running style was even better this year. The VT game is a good example, still had plenty of the same speed and gashing/slashing that we've come to know but he could lower the shoulder as well.

If he can be healthy (I don't know if it's possible), the guy will make a career for himself in the league, no doubt in my mind.

Agreed! The only issue is, if he can stay healthy.