Brion Carnes vs. Darian Godfrey

Brion Carnes vs. Darian Godfrey  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Brion Carnes was a 4-year starter @ QB while Darian Godfrey was a 3-year starter @ QB.

Brion Carnes

39-12 record as starting QB

Passing

454 tot. comp.

796 tot. att.

5,972 tot. yds.

107 ypg avg.

55% comp. avg.

48 tot. td

25 int

Rushing

341 tot. car.

1,095 tot. yds.

3.0 ypc

45 ypg avg.

23 tot. td

Darian Godfrey

41-3 record as starting QB

Passing

625 tot. comp.

972 tot. att.

9,191 tot. yds.

209 ypg avg.

64% comp. avg.

114 tot. td

19 int

Rushing

427 tot. car.

2,350 tot. yds.

5.5 ypc

53 ypg avg.

53 tot. td

* Darian Godfrey’s 114 career touchdown passes ranks as 2nd best all time in Class 3A and is tied for 5th best in all Texas High School classifications.

* Godfrey’s 9,191 career passing yards ranks as 4th best all time in Class 3A and 9th best all time in all Texas High School classifications.

* Godfrey’s 53 career rushing touchdowns is the most in Gilmer High School history.

The class 3A thing might inflate his stats a bit though if Carnes is playing in a higher division.

FWIW, the final national team rankings according to MaxPreps is as follows:

Godfrey (Gilmer Buckeyes) #66 Nationally, #9 in Texas

Carnes (Manatee Hurricanes) #151 Nationally, #14 in Florida

I like them both, and both come from pretty good high school programs that have put out D-1 talent in the past (and this year, too). I think Godfrey looked like a little better passer right now, but Carnes has better overall tools. I guess it depends on whether you think Watson can develop QB skills...hmmm

Honestly, I'd be happy with either, probably a slight preference to Godfrey right now.

I like STUMP a bit better because he seems to be a better pure passer at this point. Carnes looks like he needs some work to do in that department. I think it was huskers1 who said that we should look at Passers who can run vs. Athletes playing QB. I would agree with that sentiment. I think both would be GREAT pick ups, I just think Carnes needs more development and therefore is a bit of a bigger risk IMO. Don't forget that Godfrey's rating is a bit skewed because he didn't participate in the process until after his season was done.

No offense, but Godfrey has been viewed by scouts in the heaviest scouted state in the country for 3 years, and he hardly has any offers despite the obscene stats. Carnes is more highly regarded for a reason, not saying Godfrey isn't a good player, or wouldn't be better than Carnes, but there is a reason Carnes is more valued by scouts, not just Husker fans.

people are sold on Carnes cause his uncle is a Husker great. All stats pint to godfrey, however the intangibles might be on Brion's side.

I completely disagree with this sentiment. Looking at the videos, I see way more poise in the pocket and toughness from Stump than I do from Carnes. Godfrey doesn't seem to shy away from contact, seems willing to step up in the pocket, and just seems to have it. Carnes looks like a great talent also, he just seems to run out of the pocket too quickly and run out of bounds vs getting that extra yard. I guess I am splitting hairs now.

No offense, but Godfrey has been viewed by scouts in the heaviest scouted state in the country for 3 years, and he hardly has any offers despite the obscene stats. Carnes is more highly regarded for a reason, not saying Godfrey isn't a good player, or wouldn't be better than Carnes, but there is a reason Carnes is more valued by scouts, not just Husker fans.

I have heard that he didn't really do any recruiting stuff this year because he wanted to focus on his season. I am not sure how much the scouts looked at this young man this year.

No doubt. So what's the reason? That's what we're trying to figure out. I have no doubt in my mind that the recruiting sites have scouted both players and determined that Carnes is the better prospect. We're just trying to figure out why that is.

My best guess is that they see more upside with Carnes because they see that he is very undeveloped at this point. I think they see much more potential that could still be unlocked with Carnes that they don't see with Godfrey for some reason.

I think it's also important to note that college staffs have also come to the same conclusion as these recruiting sites in their estimation of these two players. So I will happily defer to those experts in acknowledging that they know a hell of a lot more about this stuff than I do. But I would still like to get a clear explanation as to why they all think Carnes is a better prospect.

He attended camp at Baylor last summer. Here's what they had to say of his performance.

Godfrey may throw with the greatest velocity that we have seen so far this camp season. He throws a very catchable ball, and accuracy is not an issue. His ability to roll either direction and fire is a strength. Standing 6'0" may be a disadvantage, but his skills as a passer make up for that in many regards.

http://baylor.scout.com/2/872317.html