Brion Carnes vs. Darian Godfrey

Brion Carnes vs. Darian Godfrey  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

people are sold on Carnes cause his uncle is a Husker great. All stats pint to godfrey, however the intangibles might be on Brion's side.

I completely disagree with this sentiment. Looking at the videos, I see way more poise in the pocket and toughness from Stump than I do from Carnes. Godfrey doesn't seem to shy away from contact, seems willing to step up in the pocket, and just seems to have it. Carnes looks like a great talent also, he just seems to run out of the pocket too quickly and run out of bounds vs getting that extra yard. I guess I am splitting hairs now.

The running and willingness to stay in bounds are the biggest things for me. I like how he won 41 games in three years. He didn't want anything to do with recruiting until he finished winning a championship. He appears to have a rocket for an arm and be much more accurate on short and long range passes.

So far it is 18 to 1 on Godfrey.

Another point, Godfrey is uncommitted and Carnes is presently committed to USF.

I see Frazier type body and winning percentage and I see Donovan McNabb type body and skills.

Let's see how the staff judges this.

His ability just seems to jump out off his videos.(Godfrey) He might not be as fast but has a lot of skill.

people are sold on Carnes cause his uncle is a Husker great. All stats pint to godfrey, however the intangibles might be on Brion's side.

I completely disagree with this sentiment. Looking at the videos, I see way more poise in the pocket and toughness from Stump than I do from Carnes. Godfrey doesn't seem to shy away from contact, seems willing to step up in the pocket, and just seems to have it. Carnes looks like a great talent also, he just seems to run out of the pocket too quickly and run out of bounds vs getting that extra yard. I guess I am splitting hairs now.

The running and willingness to stay in bounds are the biggest things for me. I like how he won 41 games in three years. He didn't want anything to do with recruiting until he finished winning a championship. He appears to have a rocket for an arm and be much more accurate on short and long range passes.

So far it is 18 to 1 on Godfrey.

Another point, Godfrey is uncommitted and Carnes is presently committed to USF.

I see Frazier type body and winning percentage and I see Donovan McNabb type body and skills.

Let's see how the staff judges this.

His ability just seems to jump out off his videos.(Godfrey) He might not be as fast but has a lot of skill.

I'm with you... Godfrey looks awesome. Tough. Skilled.

When there were 3 to look at, I ranked them in the order Kolter followed by Godfrey then Carnes. Based on a second lokk at the film, I have it Godfrey, Kolter then Carnes. Any of the three (well... two now that Kolter is gone) would be great. All three seem better than Gabbert.

its all about the competition boys. texas 3A is not all that impressive.....

carnes is going against much stiffer competition.....and thus would be the better qb for us.

maxpreps has Gogfrey's school rated higher than Carnes in their polls.

Not sure it matters but they do.

Gilmer did play up against better schools from time to time and they beat the better schools too.

its all about the competition boys. texas 3A is not all that impressive.....

carnes is going against much stiffer competition.....and thus would be the better qb for us.

There are always exceptions to the rule, especially in Texas of all places. Colt McCoy is a perfect example. He played 2A football in Texas.

I understand why a lot of folks on here are saying that it seems that Carnes has more upside and better tools, but we have seen many players like that come in and do jack squat. Carnes' film shouts "I am getting by on pure athleticism and speed alone and I have no mental toughness".

Godfrey's film on the other hand SCREAMS "I am a winner and will give every last ounce of what I have to my coaches and team, I will never quit and I don't care who you are, I AM GOING TO BEAT YOU!"

Obviously that is JMO. Make no mistake about it, Bo has the final say, so if Bo has Carnes ahead of Godfrey then he doesn't see things the way I do, and I will defer to Bo.

I understand why a lot of folks on here are saying that it seems that Carnes has more upside and better tools, but we have seen many players like that come in and do jack squat. Carnes' film shouts "I am getting by on pure athleticism and speed alone and I have no mental toughness".

Godfrey's film on the other hand SCREAMS "I am a winner and will give every last ounce of what I have to my coaches and team, I will never quit and I don't care who you are, I AM GOING TO BEAT YOU!"

Obviously that is JMO. Make no mistake about it, Bo has the final say, so if Bo has Carnes ahead of Godfrey then he doesn't see things the way I do, and I will defer to Bo.

This is why I am leaning towards Godfrey also. He seems to have more of what we saw in Rex, a guy who can will his team to victory.

Just watched film of Godfrey for the first time.

Breakdown:

Dont have a problem with his mechanics at all. A bit slow though. Throws the long ball with great accuracy and touch. Good confidence in the pocket. He is as athletic as any dual threat QB in the nation IMO. Dont at all have a problem with his toughness. He is one tough customer.

Carnes vs. Godfrey

-Film doesnt give Carnes justice as he is a flawless decision maker. We dont know exactly with Godfrey

-Carnes acceleration and escapablity seem to be a bit better on film.

-There is something about Stump when you watch him. There is an "IT" factor about Stump that I just dont feel when I watch Brion.

Brion probably play a bit better competition than Godfrey but Godfrey cant help that. He did exaclty what he should against lesser competition. Which is dominate it.

In conlcusion I am still torn. But Stump is my leader.

Just watched film of Godfrey for the first time.

Breakdown:

Dont have a problem with his mechanics at all. A bit slow though. Throws the long ball with great accuracy and touch. Good confidence in the pocket. He is as athletic as any dual threat QB in the nation IMO. Dont at all have a problem with his toughness. He is one tough customer.

Carnes vs. Godfrey

-Film doesnt give Carnes justice as he is a flawless decision maker. We dont know exactly with Godfrey

-Carnes acceleration and escapablity seem to be a bit better on film.

-There is something about Stump when you watch him. There is an "IT" factor about Stump that I just dont feel when I watch Brion.

Brion probably play a bit better competition than Godfrey but Godfrey cant help that. He did exaclty what he should against lesser competition. Which is dominate it.

In conlcusion I am still torn. But Stump is my leader.

The beauty of this situation is that there is no wrong choice. Whoever the coaches choose, I'll be happy with their decision. I also give the edge to Godfrey, but Carnes is a close 2nd.

Godfrey camped at Baylor and OU at least. He's just not being looked at by many programs, even when other D1 schools are taking players from the team. This is a school that produced several high level players, and has recruiters\scout at most of their games watching. He's got some funky mechanics, too much arm action, reminds me a lot of Cody Green, can throw the ball hard and far, but his motion just isn't very natural and will lead to picks.

Carnes needs to use his feet and hips better, both need some work in the passing game. Carnes has quicker feet than Godfrey, and looks to be a little more accurate on short throws which is what Watson's offense needs. I think Carnes is the clear number one for the coaching staff.