Three Game Series with Boise State

bbeerma2

For all you guys complaining about our current scheduling model, one big time game and 3 powder puffs, what is there to gain by playing 2 or 3 "tough" non-conference games, with one or two on the road? I just want to see what people have to say, I'm not saying that in an ideal world I wouldn't love for our schedule to be USC, ND, Florida, TCU, then Texas and OU both in the Big XII...I'm just curious to see what other people think...

And on the flip side, what would you say if we played that schedule above and ended up 9-3....What is there to gain?

I watch football for the excitement. Regardless of the outcome at the end of the year, if it was a fun ride it was worth it. I'd rather get pumped up for 6 huge games a year than 1 or 2.

Large Payments? Why does it hurt us to give them 1.5 million? Just roughly 85,000 people x $55 = 4,675,000

We can't pay them that?? give me a f'ing break, give them the money. They are a legit program and it would be well worth the show.

And yes our non-conference is bullsh#t, and anyone on here who defends it is lieing to themselves. I understand it still has a lot to do with Pederson, but damn, what a rip off to us.

I'll defend it. I think the strategy has been to schedule one marquee opponent (see USC or VaTech), one mid-tier opponent, and two cupcakes. It hasn't worked that way each year but I think that is the general strategy. EVERY elite team does it. Check out Texas (La-Monroe, Wyoming, UTEP, UCF) and Alabama's (VaTech, FIU, North Texas, Chattanooga) non-conference schedules. Those schedules were strong enough for those teams to play in the national title game.

I'll admit from a purely game to game standpoint it would be more entertaining to watch marguee schools in the non-conference schedule. However, from a program standpoint our current scheduling is the best option.

(Your comment about paying out 1.5 million dollars doesn't even deserve a response. Boise thinks they are a big time program. Time to start acting like it.)

For all you guys complaining about our current scheduling model, one big time game and 3 powder puffs, what is there to gain by playing 2 or 3 "tough" non-conference games, with one or two on the road? I just want to see what people have to say, I'm not saying that in an ideal world I wouldn't love for our schedule to be USC, ND, Florida, TCU, then Texas and OU both in the Big XII...I'm just curious to see what other people think...

And on the flip side, what would you say if we played that schedule above and ended up 9-3....What is there to gain?

I watch football for the excitement. Regardless of the outcome at the end of the year, if it was a fun ride it was worth it. I'd rather get pumped up for 6 huge games a year than 1 or 2.

One thing to gain would be that we'd always have one of the hardest schedules in the nation, and that would always help us in the BCS, even if we drop one or two. Honestly though, I'm not for that because we already play in one of the top conferences, and it's those games that matter most. Regardless of how good or bad our North Division counterparts are, we need to do well in conference games to get to the conference championship, and that's our ticket to the BCS, more so than even the toughest non-conference schedule.

Should break out the white uni's for the smurf turf.

DO you know our history in all white? It ain't pretty. Two examples: a loss to Iowa State in 93 and again against Colorado in 97(BCs last game)

Since when did Boise State get to call the shots? a 2 and 1 series should be considered an honor. They just want us if we come there and then try to hypnotize us with their blue turf.

Here's what Jamrog says about our scheduling philosophy:

"1. Play a team from one of six Bowl Championship Series conferences every year. It’s usually a home-and-home series.

2. Find quality Football Bowl Subdivision (Division I-A) teams, preferably for a three-game series (two games in Lincoln, one away).

3. Fill in holes in the schedule with FBS teams willing to play on a one-time basis in Lincoln only. New Mexico State and San Jose State are recent examples.

4. “If all else fails, we’ll play a I-AA opponent, by default,” Jamrog said."

http://huskerextra.com/articles/2010/01/17/football/doc4b525e997772a459155338.txt

I'm sure Boise has said no because they don't want to come to Lincoln twice. Don't blame them, either. Boise is a big-time program.

I actually like this quite a bit. We play Miami in 2015, which means that if Petersen were to leave BSU we'd still have Miami as a good OOC opponent. I hope, however, that Petersen stays at BSU so we can get their best punch.

I'm sure Boise has said no because they don't want to come to Lincoln twice. Don't blame them, either. Boise is a big-time program.

and we are, too. I could see a compromise and do a 1 and 1, and if they don't jump at that then they should put skirts on.

I'm sure BSU would be very interested in a one and one . . . but if there history is any indication they would also still demand a large cash pay-out.